Update or Preserve?

kyleh

As we all know, these motorhomes are aging, mine is 33 years old, (1990 Warrior)

On this site I see many, many incarnations...from total gut jobs to nicely maintained and well kept rigs.

Also, I get the implementation of more current appliances and upgrades, new and improved!

But I wonder about the general consensus regarding trying to maintain the vintage vibe or "remodeling", with disregard for the original versions. 

I ask, because my wife would like to white-wash all of the cabinetry and replace old yellowed faucets and fixtures. Me on the other hand, would like to keep the "in great condition" original interior if possible. She'll win of course, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

i never cared for the look of the interiors in the first place. i prefer a personal touch

I gutted mine down to the shell. My home is a 1979 with steel cage frame and fiberglass cover. I knew my gutting would have no structural issues. If your home is traditional wood frame I would be careful so as not to affect its strength.

A clean slate allowed me to configure the coach to my liking. Nothing of the original floor plan remains. I have a strong background in the building trades. Cost was materials only. I provided the labor.

Any improvements you can accomplish on your own you can do. If you need to contract work out, that can get expensive.

Painted cabinet’s and new fixtures would definitely modernize things.

Some of the interiors are better than others, but I tend to agree with the others. I would say, in general, all of these rigs can benefit from an extensive redo. (For example, when recently pulling down our old cabover window curtains for a wash, I was reminded just how much I disliked the original interior: I swear that Winnebago made those curtains out of some old-lady thrift store undergarments! They are just awful!)

Great stuff! Thanks for your input.

The Winnie Warrior that we purchased has a steel frame, but the interior is original, (blue not pink thank God), and in very good condition. I'm not crazy about the 90's blue velour, but all in all, I would say it is in not excellent but very good condition. Cabinets are all in great shape and latch. Oven/range in great shape, nice matching Dometic fridge. I find nothing wrong with the vintage vibe.

Edited by kyleh

Cool, sounds like you got a nice rig there. Would like to see some photos sometime.

A lot of people do paint everything, which is fine... but the cabinet doors in our Warrior are all real oak and looked great after a sanding and re-poly. Still, all the original "pine mist" fabric had to go in mine, ha. :)

Well my whole rig was carpeted in blue shag rug. The floors, walls and the cab floor.

I didn’t even want to consider the amount of strange DNA on that floor. 😮

• 2 weeks later...

I know this post is getting a lil old, but I kept my 1990 Warrior original vibe. I have the dusty rose and wood colours, both of which I like. I reworked the appliance areas to suit my needs, took out old fridge and oven, put in new dometic car fridge. But I used the old fridge panel and made it into a new door, added shelves in that space, and that area is now a clothes cabinet. I refinished all the doors and drawer fronts with satin poly, left them wood, and used the old drawer fronts attached to new drawer bodies into the oven area. I did have to repaint the bathroom a soft white after ripping out the toilet and cabinet tho, but left the original colour in the shower. I decided to go with what makes me feel warm and cozy since I'm living in it full time and not fall into the glam trap. I think that's the key...make it feel like home, whatever that means to you, regardless of what the fads are.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input! KCarson, I like the original look of our '90 Warrior...we still have a very nice interior.

But, she wants to whitewash the cabinets, which, now after some poking around, I actually like. Much cleaner looking, and makes the space seem larger somehow!

But you're all right...make it feel like home, personalize and keep it in good shape!

Love this group!!