I posted this on the Toyotaminis forum and figured I'd post here too.

I recently completed an L43 to W50 transmission swap on a 78 Galavan, and had to move the tranny crossmember 2-3 inches towards the rear of the vehicle in the process. Now, I'm not comfortable / it's unsafe with how tight the front parking brake cable is as it comes out of the firewall and wraps downward towards the crossmember.

Has anybody dealt with a similar situation, and if so what was your solution? Is there another year's parking brake cable that's a bit longer that I can swap in?

W50 was standard on SR5’s of that year. Try dealership parts department and see if you can get a factory part number for that cable. Then google search that number for aftermarket products.

18 hours ago, linda s said:

Buy a longer cable. You need to get an idea of what you have and find a longer one. Maybe this?

1984-1988 Toyota Pickup Parking Brake Cable - Raybestos BC93740 - Front - PartsGeek.com

Linda S

Thanks Linda. I'd looked there and on Rockauto but the connection "eye" on my parking brake doesn't match any of those. I'll have to order a couple and see if anything works.

Do you know if Zero is on any other forums? I saw ages ago you mentioned him on a Yahoo Chinook forum but those are all long gone at this point.

Not gone moved. I saved it when I couldn't contact Nolan who was the owner so I couldn't bring it to IO groups with the proper organization but I managed to save all the files. 

toyotachinook@groups.io | Home

John is a member there but the site is not active. People usually jump in though if they see a new post. I've also heard John has a couple of groups on Facebook but I don't know what they are called. I don't Facebook so I can't search. 

Do these fittings look like yours?

More Information for DORMAN C92972 (rockauto.com)

Toyota parts don't go back farther than 79 and I don't know if they changed fittings from 78 to 79

Linda S

On 8/24/2023 at 12:09 PM, linda s said:

Not gone moved. I saved it when I couldn't contact Nolan who was the owner so I couldn't bring it to IO groups with the proper organization but I managed to save all the files. 

toyotachinook@groups.io | Home

John is a member there but the site is not active. People usually jump in though if they see a new post. I've also heard John has a couple of groups on Facebook but I don't know what they are called. I don't Facebook so I can't search. 

Ahh gotcha. Appreciate the info and links. Yeah no FB for me either.

On 8/24/2023 at 12:09 PM, linda s said:

Do these fittings look like yours?

More Information for DORMAN C92972 (rockauto.com)

Toyota parts don't go back farther than 79 and I don't know if they changed fittings from 78 to 79

That's the one I ended up ordering. It's very similar to the first one you linked (both have virtually the same housing (32 inches) and cable (48 inches) length), but the ribbed housing is longer on the BC92972. I finally got around to pulling out mine this weekend and the housing is about 26 inches and the cable length is about 42 inches. The 6 inch difference is enough, and if it's too much I'll figure that problem next. One thing at a time...

Edited by blackmedal1942