95k miles... and after starting it today to check .. we noticed that there was no prominent sound ... the motor sounded good and still had full power. then after driving it for about 15 miles the engine was heated up(not overheating) and started (clacking) not so much a knocking sound... The truck has new water pump, new radiator.... any ideas?

All of the 20/22 engines had a bit of valve noise fairly common with them pretty normal they are adjustable but never compleatly quiet. Noise is had to diagnose from away is this at idle or driving?

Sound like a diesel idling? Thinking it might be chain noise is it better reved a little?

If this is the unit you changed the automatic to a 4sp, then your back to anything that you removed and installed somthing else in its place.

Its major anoying, but common and its an easy fix

I bet your exhaust manifold has a loose bolt or something like that. It will sound different as it heats up and cools and the thing expands. I know all these small 4 cyls clack when they are cold and then quiet when the oil gets pumped to the top end. That is all I can think of unless a piece of shrouding it getting knicked by the fan or soemthing else like that.

Valves generally get quieter with these engines as they heat up if they are adjusted correctly. If one is too tight when cold like say an exhaust valve as it heats up it could be slightly open all the time and may create a clacking sound in the exhaust every time the cylinder fires and the gasses pass by the open valve. Still odd though that the noise appeared after the transmission swap. Stethoscope on the bell housing and transmission before and after the noise appears? How was the play on the input shaft to the transmission? Was it solid or did it have any side to side play? Did you pull any exhaust gear off when doing the swap? Any way you can record the sound and post it as an attachment?

As I recall, a rod bearing tends to knock when pulling, and a wrist pin tends to knock when being pushed (slowing down) Now this is from many many years back so I may have it bass ackwards, but since you are driving it, check to see if its louder accelerating or decelerating. I suspect a rod would have quit by now. wrist pins go a bit further before they fail...Tony