Suitability of the Sunrader's L48 tranny for 4WD conversion?

We are revamping our Sunrader in stages.  First, redo the interior so we can begin using it.  Then if we like it, we'll sell our other mini RV (VW Vanagon) and convert the Sunrader to 4WD.  I plan to keep the 22R engine as it's a workhorse and has only 32k on it.  It's also a manual transmission version we prefer, with the L48 tranny and I'm wondering if anyone knows if this tranny is appropriate to continue to use once it's 4WD? 

The tranny is listed as a RWD version in research, which could mean nothing as if it's the corporate bolt pattern it will still bolt directly up to a Toyota transfer case I'll source along with the axles to do the conversion.  With such low miles, I'd love to keep the tranny in service, but if anyone's knowledgeable on such things, I'd like to know if that's a bad idea or if the bolt patterns won't match, etc.  

Odds are good the eventual donor will be an entire wrecked Toyota truck with a manual tranny, but it may have a lot of miles, on the tranny, etc.  Also, if anyone's well informed, I'd love to know what years of Toyota truck make the best drivetrain donors into a 1982 chassis.  Informationally, I will not be running duallies after it's 4WD and will use Linda's advice to swap it to single rears before driving it in its current 2WD. 

Thanks in advance,

Edited by IdahoDoug
add info

• 1 month later...

Just bringing this to the top in case anyone has knowledge on my question, or a place I can research this suitability question.  Thank you.

I'm no 4x4 expert but I do know that Marlin Crawler is the place to go to find out. They have a forum you can ask questions on too.

Here's the gear ratio chart

Transmission Gear Ratio Chart | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Since gearing on the L45 is the same as the L50 I would assume the L48 is also the same. 

Also I would check your axle code to confirm rear gearing.

Check Marlin for transfer case info too. Think you need a 21 spline. 

This site has some interesting transfer case info too

3. Transfer Cases & Adapters Toyota Trucks - Advance Adapters

For final gearing this is my go too site

Gear Ratio Calculator (grimmjeeper.com)

My expertise is finding stuff. Doesn't mean I have to understand it

Linda S

Excellent!!  Great sleuthing, Linda.  I am having withdrawals not touching the Sunrader till I complete a minor remodel on the house, n trying to be set to hit the ground running in a few weeks.