I put this in a few days ago,but I do not see it, so i will try again. How do you gain access to the top of the air shocks to replace a leaking line. I have a 1987 Travel Master Savannah. This has an aluminum floor pan. There is a box channel across the frame at the top where the top of shock must be mounted. I took those mounting bolts off, but there is much resistance to moving it. I can rock it a little. I put it back together for right now until I can get some guidance. I am going to put large rubber blocks between the frame so i can get it inspected. i hope it works. Thanks for any help on this.

Oh, I meant to say I took the bottom shock mounts off and took bolts out of box channel that goes across the frame. I should have read what I wrote before posting. I have never done this before.

To get at the rearend without jacking it I locate an elavated parking lot and back up to the drop off.  Easy way to check the fluids and the airbag lines.

A write up of what the inspection procedures are in Penn on a ToyHome would be interesting.

Hi, and thanks for your response. Unfortunately that will not work. There is a U box steel channel on the top sub frame where the top of air bags and air lines are connected. There is about 1 inch max between it and the floor pan, leaving no space to access the lines from the air tank. I have tried to to remove that channel with no success. It will wiggle a little and that was with a big crow bar so I stopped that approach until I could get more info.

Hi Linda, thanks for the input. Unfortunately, those only release the bottom of the shock. The top is still connected to the cross frame channel as well as the air fill access fittings from the air tank. There are 2 bolts on either side of the cross channel connected to main frame. I did remove them and try to get it to (slide) out with a big crow bar but it really wasn't willing. There are many things going through the frame which may be part of the problem. Just wondering if anyone has slid that channel out from the main frame. I am also wondering if the air shocks were installed on the truck frame before the body was put on. If so, then how are you expected to work on these. Someone else on this site must have had this problem. Even if I would have to change units, (even though the bladders, air tank etc are fine), I have noway to remove the top mounts to replace. There is literally only 1/2 to 1 inch at best between that cross frame and the metal sub floor of the rv body.

Toyota didn't put on air shocks or air bags so they were installed by the RV manufacturer. Now I don't understand what you're talking about. The shock should not be connected to an air bag system. I'm guessing that channel you refer to is the air bag mounting bracket and it should come off. Some lubricant like wd40, let it sit overnight, aim a heat gun at it but don't melt stuff. I use my blow dryer on hot, maybe your wife's? It went on there and it will come off. Cell phone? pics? Would make it much easier to give advice.

Linda S

Are we talking air shocks or air bags?? 

Ok, thanks, Yes, it is the air bag system. So, did every manufacture do it differently? Just wondering? I put in some 8 inch rubber stops for right now so I can get it inspected. I will take it apart then. Has anyone considered reversing the air bag system so the fill fittings are on the bottom mount? Just a thought. Thanks for the input and verification. I should put some pics of this RV up as it is pretty clean and you don't see many diesel versions. (not factory, owner did it).

An air valve on the bottom would be vulnerable to suffer road damage.