What kind of mpg do these get and speed up a mountain

I was talking to a guy about a 4 cylinder 4 speed manual and he said it would go 35 miles an hour up a steep incline. Is that reasonable for a sound ie healthy motor going up a mountain?

What would a 6 cylinder auto do? Are all automatics overdrive?

I want to camp in the Rockys mountain and need alow maintenance low cost RV with a toilet, hot shower, and bed and possibly a generator!

I have an '84 Dolphin with 22R and a four speed. I live in SW Mt. with lots of hills and passes. I do 45--50 MPH up the passes because I have a Weber carb. with K&N filters and a tuned header. I can easily do 70-75 MPH on the flat.(I try to keep it around 60) No kidding, this little rig really surprises me. What fun!!

T.A.J.

I find that my '86 Sunrader with a 22RE automatic is a bit slower than that uphill. Any hill slows me a bit, and when it gets steep, I keep downshifting as I slow down. Around 40, I drop it into 2nd. REAL steep puts me in 1st, maxing at ~ 25 mph.

Maybe I should get the filters and headers... Or just take my time uphill. I had no problems taking it over the 8,000' pass near Kirkwood. Try not to stop while facing uphill. But I am still learning my rig.

John

And the per fillup MPG over the first 4,200 miles ranged from a high of 17.2, mostly downhill and freeway, but included a real good climb, to a low of 13.5 mpg on my first trip up the Sierra's. Total Average is running ~ 15.14 mpg.

John

• 2 weeks later...

With the Weber, I find if I can hit the bottom of the hill at 60 mph she'll pull real well, thats weighing in at about 7,000# but sometimes I am in 1st on long steep hills. We are touring around Mexico and towing a 1,000# trailer. we have been over 10,000 ft with no problems. If on a hill, I shift down to 3rd at 40mph, that seems to hold pretty well. Havent checked mileage since we Weber'ed it, mileage seems reasonable at lower speeds but if I make her roar along at 60 plus, I can see the gas guage drop.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
We bought a 93 Spirit last year. Went from Petaluma to Tahoe and averaged 45-50 up the Sierras. Round trip we got 16 mpg. Ours has a six under the hood.

Have fun

I am focusing on a v6 with auto and od. I have read horror stories about valves and od in high country and wondering how much risk really exists. This one has 18000+ miles and seems in good condition. I am also wondering what is worth?

Hello,

I took my Toyota (V6 automatic) to YellowStone a couple years ago. I had no problems with any of the

hills that were on an Interstate (never fell below 50mph), however on the way home I took a state route

in WY that ended up being a 12% grade at one point (very nice scenary)... I ended up being in 2nd gear

and could not exceed 30-35mph. I just took her nice and steady and kept my eye on the temperature gauge,

also the outside temperature was 93F.

Side note, if you are ever running hot and need to pull over too cool down, I advise to open the engine hood

and let the engine run for a few minutes before shutting the engine off. This will allow the heat to escape

better, and will let the coolate cirulate a bit with slightly cooler coolate.

Dennis...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man, that's pretty impressive. What did the header and Weber do to your fuel mileage? My stock 4-speed 22R just got back from a 2100 mile trip averaging 14.7 MPG. I could get 35 MPH in 2nd gear up 7% grades in AZ.

I have an '84 Dolphin with 22R and a four speed. I live in SW Mt. with lots of hills and passes. I do 45--50 MPH up the passes because I have a Weber carb. with K&N filters and a tuned header. I can easily do 70-75 MPH on the flat.(I try to keep it around 60) No kidding, this little rig really surprises me. What fun!!

T.A.J.

Man, that's pretty impressive. What did the header and Weber do to your fuel mileage? My stock 4-speed 22R just got back from a 2100 mile trip averaging 14.7 MPG. I could get 35 MPH in 2nd gear up 7% grades in AZ.

My M.P.G. varies due to our ups and downs hear in Mt. (15-18)

T.A.J.

What size Weber did you put on? Before your Weber/header install was your performance comparable to what I've described mine as ? Did you experience any other issues/drawbacks. Would you do it again? I trying to decide if it's a worthwhile option for me.

Thanks!

Dave

My M.P.G. varies due to our ups and downs hear in Mt. (15-18)

T.A.J.

Just bought an 83 21' Sunrader with a 22r 4 speed. Picked it up in Everett Washington and drove it home to Bend Oregon. Does 60-65mph comfortably on the interstate but did have it up to 75once in awhile. Could have gone a little faster I think. Checked the mileage in Sandy (just outside of Portland) and it worked out to 18.99 mpg (224 miles, 11.79 gallons). I was quite impressed. No problem maintaining 45mph in 3rd gear through the passes around Mt Hood.

What size Weber did you put on? Before your Weber/header install was your performance comparable to what I've described mine as ? Did you experience any other issues/drawbacks. Would you do it again? I trying to decide if it's a worthwhile option for me.

Thanks!

Dave

I bought the Dolphin as is with the upgrades. I can't explain it's previous performance.

It's still in winter storage so I can't yet get carb. #'s. The older couple that i bought it from had a very mechanical son, I was told. He also put an after market cruise control in it that works very well on the flats. Of course it's useless on hills or any time shifting is needed. I believe the son was a good mechanic and made wise decisions while upgrading for his folks. They also towed an older VW Bug and hauled a Honda 90 on the back rack. I do know this little rig runs great and is a blast. I have no regrets! I'll try to have #'s next week.

T.A.J.

My '85 Granville runs fine for being stock but 5-10 more HP would be welcome. I just don't want to do it at the expense of reliability. That's why I bought a Toyota. The cruise control would be pretty nice. I just returned from a 2100 mile trip and that would have come in pretty handy at times. You don't see them on the carb motors very often. Sounds like the mechanic knew what he was doing. Anyway no hurry on the carb numbers. I'm not planning anything soon.

Thanks!

Dave

I bought the Dolphin as is with the upgrades. I can't explain it's previous performance.

It's still in winter storage so I can't yet get carb. #'s. The older couple that i bought it from had a very mechanical son, I was told. He also put an after market cruise control in it that works very well on the flats. Of course it's useless on hills or any time shifting is needed. I believe the son was a good mechanic and made wise decisions while upgrading for his folks. They also towed an older VW Bug and hauled a Honda 90 on the back rack. I do know this little rig runs great and is a blast. I have no regrets! I'll try to have #'s next week.

T.A.J.

My '85 Granville runs fine for being stock but 5-10 more HP would be welcome. I just don't want to do it at the expense of reliability. That's why I bought a Toyota. The cruise control would be pretty nice. I just returned from a 2100 mile trip and that would have come in pretty handy at times. You don't see them on the carb motors very often. Sounds like the mechanic knew what he was doing. Anyway no hurry on the carb numbers. I'm not planning anything soon.

Thanks!

Dave

T.A.J.

Edited by dgerst

• 2 months later...

hey powder hound.....

love that winter pic. i am wanting to do some winter camping in my 94 winnebago warrior. any suggestions. are you able to keep warm. any special tricks for winterizing.

noreen the newbie. (aka powderslut) i live in breck and would love to chase some storms for optimal pow pow

Get one of the rocket motors from ACME products like I have (see pic below), not only does it get you up the hill fast you can also bypass all those traffic bottle necks. There is one drawback though, you have to take out your holding tanks and replace them with rocket fuel tanks.