FRP sheets? Composite sandwich panels?

El Rito

Hey all,

I found a leak in my Starlite and ended up having to remove cabinet, about 2 ft. of floor, and 3.5 ft. of wall. Is there anywhere to buy FRP sheets? I have been looking at composite sandwich panels as well since the coffee cup styrofoam put into the panel I had to remove is worthless. I had to remove the outer "skin" of FRP and was hoping to find some sort of pre-made sheet of it. No such luck. I have no place to do a Filon process, so that isn't really an option. I am trying to think of other products that might be used instead with the intent of doing a full makeover of the entire vehicle when I have the time. Right now I just want to get this section water and weather tight before winter. Also, I am under further time constraint as I travel for work and have 2 weeks before I leave. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need someone willing to sell on small scale retail. Tons of wholesale for rv industry, but haven't found anything else really.

Cheers

Wall pulled out.jpg

passengerside.jpg

225602502_196592419183889_2470645648371745084_n.jpg

I don't understand how the entire wall could have been rotted through. It's fiberglass. Maybe the paneling inside but the shell itself? FRP is available at any large hardware store. Home Depot, Lowes and maybe in your area Menards. It's not for replacing the outside shell though but it might work if sealed properly. Rebuild the wall with exterior plywood first for structure. Hope someone else has some ideas

Linda S

Hi El Rito,

Quite the job there, but fear not, we've seen way worse !

Yes,... according to an older staff member and super mondo-builder, bajadulce, FRP that can be had from most big box hardware stores will work for exterior with the appropriate type of prep, logic and finish.

As quoted below:

"I did use FRP to cover the front windows as well as the new roof. In both cases, the textured side was roughed up (deglossed) with a disk sander and layer(s) of matted fiberglass added. For the roof, I may have gone overboard by adding 2 layers, but it is holding strong. With primer/paint, there shouldn't be any issues with UV. The roof/front has held up seemingly great for about 10 years now.... wow time flies. ..." 

Check out baja's previous thread of his builds here on TMH.org and also his flicker account for further ideas on prep and finish.

BR,

TG