painting my 1990 dolphin or not?

beach bum

hello beach bum here, just purchsaed a sweet 1990 dolphin, wondering if i have it proffessionaly painted will it devaluate the value.

also my reason for painting is that the exterior is very sun faded and the fiberglass fibers are starting to show threw the gel coat, so i presume that a couple coats of sealer + 3 coats of paint should help.

please let me know...

beach bum.

hello beach bum here, just purchsaed a sweet 1990 dolphin, wondering if i have it proffessionaly painted will it devaluate the value.

also my reason for painting is that the exterior is very sun faded and the fiberglass fibers are starting to show threw the gel coat, so i presume that a couple coats of sealer + 3 coats of paint should help.

please let me know...

beach bum.

you could use a paint like interlux bright side and paint it yourself using the roll tip method and come out with some realy good results.

who cares if it lowers the value?

if you are looking to sell it for tip top dollar... keep it original....

if you are worried it wont be worth as much but you are having so much fun customizing... paint it anyway... its your rig, make it how you want it.

just make it tasteful and get it done right and i would bet the next guy wont mind a bit.

if i was shopping for a 90 toy motorhome... i wouldnt let a tasteful and professional paint job that is not original scare me off from buying...

however, i would wonder why it was painted and if perhaps it was covering damage....

save lots of before, after, during pics...

have a great time. be safe. dont drink the water.

who cares if it lowers the value?

if you are looking to sell it for tip top dollar... keep it original....

if you are worried it wont be worth as much but you are having so much fun customizing... paint it anyway... its your rig, make it how you want it.

just make it tasteful and get it done right and i would bet the next guy wont mind a bit.

if i was shopping for a 90 toy motorhome... i wouldnt let a tasteful and professional paint job that is not original scare me off from buying...

however, i would wonder why it was painted and if perhaps it was covering damage....

save lots of before, after, during pics...

have a great time. be safe. dont drink the water.

thanks... good words.

• 2 years later...

I believe this is a hurdle that we all pass.

i.e. I spent weeks agonizing over trying to get wallpaper that would match the inside. Finally said to heck with it and painted the interior, Love it.

I see posts about painting, installing AC units, removing the frig, putting insulation on the roof, etc, etc etc..

IMHO - Break out the sawzall and have at it.

One nice thing about this forum, if you present and idea, your most likely to hear pros, cons, alternate ideas, etc, but I rarely hear "you'll de-value" as one of the arguments.

Good luck, let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Mine could use a paint job also, I've done some automotive type spray painting (by no means professional) so I'll probably do it myself.

I bought a $30 spray gun, automotive paint runs $50 a quart, probably need 4 qts to do the coach.???

GO FOR IT

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Paint the cab, try a rub and wax on the coach using boat cleaner and wax.

• 3 months later...

While this thread has had some very useful information on painting, I need more help. At the spot where the coach sticks out beyond the cab, the PO had hit a post and made some hap-hazard repairs which were starting to crack. There were also a number of 1/4" holes just under the window. I removed the cracked gel coat. The fiberglass under the gel coat was good and seemed strong despite the dents. Right or wrong, I filled this area with what the can called fiberglass filler (epoxy) and I have been sanding the corner smooth. Needs a bit more fine sanding, but its almost ready to paint. What do you think is the best paint option? And, how do you match the color? All Toyota Motorhomes look to me to be about the same color. Do Toyota dealers have matching paint colors or is it better to go to an automotive paint company? When he made the previous repairs, the PO brushed on an off color that I think was some type of latex house paint. The off color made the repairs much more noticeable. I also have an area on the roof that will I will need to re-fiberglass and so would like a paint that can be used on the roof as well as the sidewall. Thanks. Sue