Probably not. The 22r had a double roller chain and usually lasted as long as the engine. The newer 22re had a single roller chain and did not last as long. If you have a noticeable rattle at an idle that goes away when you speed the engine up a little that is most likely chain noise. If it is rattling don't put it off it can (and will) cut a hole in your timing case and fill the sump with metal and antifreeze. You can remove the valve cover and have a look the chain should sit flat against the guide on the slack side of the chain with very little play. If you decided you need to replace the chain be sure to replace the oil driven tensioner and the chain guide.

Take off the cam cover and look. While its off you can check the guides with a flash light.

Many many thanks guys, your info is much appreciated. Will take off the valve cover today, didnt know you could see down in there. I have a spare chain kit with me but would rather do the job myself when not on the road. Meanwhile Mexico is great fun.

Tony

You well maybe right it has been at least 12 years since I worked on cars I did not think they went to single roller until they made the 22RE but maybe it was the 20R that had two roller chains (I am allowed a senior moment I'm 62) Any way remove the valve cover and have a look. With that mileage it is suspect if it's single roller those little engine work pretty hard if you have some one to replace it cheaply go for it now is the time. Oh and don't forget the little bolt under the distributer gear hidden under the oil!

Actually the 20r has a twin row chain and the early 22r's do also, sometime around 83 Toyota changed to the single row chain. Also sometime around 85 the 22r went from the short block to the tall block. Of course all the chains are different. So the correct drill to to LOOK at your engine.

So I'm GUESSING nibs needs a single row, short block chain set.

Well, now that the Weber carb is on, I will just have to yank the valve cover & have a boo. Thats the next job on my underhood list. Guess what, I have another question, if Its a double chain, does it have the plastic guides? & is it worth just replacing the guides, I am nervous about the scope of the work required to change the chain.

Tony (I feel like the oldest kid in kindergarten<g>)

Well, now that the Weber carb is on, I will just have to yank the valve cover & have a boo. Thats the next job on my underhood list. Guess what, I have another question, if Its a double chain, does it have the plastic guides? & is it worth just replacing the guides, I am nervous about the scope of the work required to change the chain.

The double roller chains out last the singles two to one (guides and all). No matter what you do the labor remains the same so if you have it all apart you may as well do both. It's not that bad a job just a bit time consuming.

Hi just wondering how the weber carb affected your power etc. Which one did you use. I have an 84 22r.

Thanks Henry

Hi just wondering how the weber carb affected your power etc. Which one did you use. I have an 84 22r.

Thanks Henry

Hi Henry, we put in the 32/36dgev and so far like it. We put it on in Mazatlan did a rough and dirty mileage check and found it about the same, seems to have a bit more power, but that may just be the extra noise when the second barrel opens. The second barrel opens (I think) when you use the last little bit of the gas pedal. Today we did a lot of pretty steep hills, and the Toyota seemed to be a bit better on the grades. Spent a lot of time in second, mostly because of the corners. If I could have kept up the revs, third would have worked more of the time. I think the motor is running cooler, tho I have no idea why. There a virtually no instructions regarding the vacuum system so have someone there that really knows about that stuff, I was lucky, they guy who put mine on was very competant. (I have pulled on enough wrenches to know skill when i see it). The redline kit had some problems right out of the box. I have e-mailed them and got no response, the install took about 6 hours, when it should have only taken 2 or 3. the long U shaped throttle lever supplied, had to be machined to fit the Toyota actuator. there is a small tang on the throttle shaft that fouled the top adaptor plate and had to be machined. The bottom adaptor plate casting was not flat and had to be machined to stop it leaking, and the needle valve in the float chamber was loose, the nut was just spinning. Each of these problems had to be found & fixed and are a reflection on the QC at Redline/Weber. Still working on the idle, its rough at cold start and just a bit rough at warm idle, but will play with it a bit more.

The guy at redline -Bob was really helpfull when I ordered and the unit arrived as expected.

Tony Aldridge.

If you felt like forwarding this to redline@redlineweber.com I would thank you.

Many many thanks guys, your info is much appreciated. Will take off the valve cover today, didnt know you could see down in there. I have a spare chain kit with me but would rather do the job myself when not on the road. Meanwhile Mexico is great fun.

Tony

where are you at in mexico? how long are you down there? are you boondocking much or staying in rv parks. we are leaving soon and looking for feedback from other toyota rvers about where to go and what to see. get back to me when you can. thanks tony.

cristian

where are you at in mexico? how long are you down there? are you boondocking much or staying in rv parks. we are leaving soon and looking for feedback from other toyota rvers about where to go and what to see. get back to me when you can. thanks tony.

cristian I have been running a 'travelog' over on the toyota campers group under "tony and susan head anyplace warm"

If you put a question overthere, I will respond when possible. You can also see our track over there.

I forwarded it for you.

Good luck.

Hi Henry, we put in the 32/36dgev and so far like it. We put it on in Mazatlan did a rough and dirty mileage check and found it about the same, seems to have a bit more power, but that may just be the extra noise when the second barrel opens. The second barrel opens (I think) when you use the last little bit of the gas pedal. Today we did a lot of pretty steep hills, and the Toyota seemed to be a bit better on the grades. Spent a lot of time in second, mostly because of the corners. If I could have kept up the revs, third would have worked more of the time. I think the motor is running cooler, tho I have no idea why. There a virtually no instructions regarding the vacuum system so have someone there that really knows about that stuff, I was lucky, they guy who put mine on was very competant. (I have pulled on enough wrenches to know skill when i see it). The redline kit had some problems right out of the box. I have e-mailed them and got no response, the install took about 6 hours, when it should have only taken 2 or 3. the long U shaped throttle lever supplied, had to be machined to fit the Toyota actuator. there is a small tang on the throttle shaft that fouled the top adaptor plate and had to be machined. The bottom adaptor plate casting was not flat and had to be machined to stop it leaking, and the needle valve in the float chamber was loose, the nut was just spinning. Each of these problems had to be found & fixed and are a reflection on the QC at Redline/Weber. Still working on the idle, its rough at cold start and just a bit rough at warm idle, but will play with it a bit more.

The guy at redline -Bob was really helpfull when I ordered and the unit arrived as expected.

Tony Aldridge.

If you felt like forwarding this to redline@redlineweber.com I would thank you.

i don't think that the chains breaking is what to be worried about, on my 89 toyota pickup 22re i have 258k miles on it and had to replace the chain twice because the guides broke and wore an hole in the timming cover into the watter pump, this time i upgraded to steel backed timming chain guide from engbiulder and hopfully this will be the last time i have a broken guide

• 1 month later...

I know its an old post but I have never scene a toyota timing chain fail. What happens is the tensioner wears out causing the chain to break its plastic guides. Then the chain wears it way into the timing cover and cause antifreeze to leak into the oil.

You can hear the 22r clicking when the guides are broke. I just changed my timing belt on a 3.4L toyota motor at 90000 miles because the manual said to and it still looked brand new.

Have fun in mexico

Every one had problems with plastic guides. The Nissans 2.4 wore the guides to the point the plastic clogged the oil pick up and trashed the engine. And yes the Toyota left long enough with the chain rattling would cut into the timing case case and dump anti freeze and aluminum filings in the sump. That did the engine no good either, water is not a good bearing lube. The missing coolant starts slow and it is an invisible leak so people just kept dumping water in oblivious to the rattling chain noise.

On my 1986 Toyota pickup truck at 90,000 miles I started to hear a different noise

from the engine, I took her in and it turned out to the timing chain wearing into the

plastic guides. It was caught early, before it started to eat into the timing cover.

Dennis...

Good move they seem to make the most noise it idle and go away when you rev the engine a bit. It is good to be tuned into your MH you can avoid lots of problems that way.

In the next ten days or so, I will be back in Mazatlan, my plan is to get the same mechanic who installed the weber carb (an ace) to look at my timing chain,and re do it if necessary. He is actually a trained VW service mech, and is also gifted. Kinda cool that he used my wrenches cause they were closer and better than his. Will let yall know how it goes. we up to 113,000 miles on the clock. Tony