Vehicle Inspection in North Carolina.

Homer

I got a big surprise this morn when I took my 1986 Sunland Express to be inspected before the end of month. One day into the next month would incur a penalty of $15. The inspector took all the info and posted it into the computer and told me it didn't have to be inspected anymore. Look on the tag application and it should be in red letters. I left the letter on a table at home and didn't take it with me this time. When I got home and looked at the notice, there it was. We drove to Tag office and paid the taxes and tag fee and got a new sticker to go on the tag. Does any other state do this ?

• 3 weeks later...

no inspection in wash  St unless the vechicle  is just being  brought in to washinghton , the  only oither reason is  if it is a salvage  or insurance   recovery                     rig. i have for 20 years owend a 1988 Toyota 4WDXTRA CAB truck it was never wreaked . but was a stolen recovered truck. it has a salvadge branded title and a salvadge   vechecle                        sticker .  the only problem i ever had was one ins company refused to insure it the hartferd AARP auto inseruince outfit. Safeco never batted an eye. nor did Grange of seattle wa . And wash st droped smog inspecion . we never had that in my county anyway.

Edited by 5Toyota

Well I am lucky enough to live in one of the only places in California that you don't have to smog test your vehicle unless you just bought it. My Sunraders were already registered to me so no smog test ever again since I moved from San Jose. Had to get my Ford truck smogged because I bought it in Oregon but just that one time. Certainly reduces the stress of registering your car.

Linda S

Homer,

Don't know if you remember me but I'm the other guy in Haywood County with an '86 Sunland Express. We touched bases a few years back - I still have the camper and have done a full remodel on it. I bought land up by Cataloochee and she's up there with me now (4,000 feet). As of last year our campers turned 35 years old and no longer require a safety inspection in NC. My last vehicle tax bill said 'no inspection required' as I recall. Not sure about other states but as an owner of 3 vehicles it was a relief for me. Additionally, as of last year, vehicles 20 years old and older don't require an emissions test in Haywood County. I hope you are well, let's be in touch - I'd love to see your camper sometimes!

-Rob

EDGY2898.JPG

Edited by RiggerRob

Rob, I sent you a message , should be in the envelop at top.