I bet if you informed the group of your broad thoughts about how you intend to do it people would chime in. Do you have the truck bed removed? How large of a pass through do you envision? Are you trying to preserve the truck as much as possible or chop it to make it a full fledged camper?

Here are a bunch of pics about the  Bajarader. He moved his to a T100 I think. Also look for his thread describing the switch

bajadulce

Also check out Odyssey 4x4's thread The Comvee

The 1990 Toyota Odyssey V6 4x4 that we call The Comvee (warning: long post with photos) - Improvement and Do-It-Yourself Projects you have done to Share! - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

He also has a Youtube channel with videos  (Oddcouple4x4)

Both very long threads but tons of information

Also Tundrader who did this same conversion. he's got pics and info on Instagram

Toyota Tundrader (@tundrader) • Instagram photos and videos

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Only you can determine what will fit and what alterations need to be done. I don't have a rear door Sunrader to measure for you or a Tundra. You need to measure from the front wall of the shell, not the overhead, to the center line on the rear wheels. You want those wheel wells to line up fairly close to the truck wheels. Then measure from the wheel wells to the back of the Sunrader. Measure the frame of the Tundra from the wheels back. Not the truck bed, the frame. 

Building a steel frame to mount on the Tundra would allow you to add a little extra support in the back and also lift the Sunrader slightly. The Tundra has a taller cab than the 78 truck and the overhead won't clear it without some lift. 

This is not a simple job by any means. Just the electrical would stop me. 

Linda S

Thanks Linda! I am looking for someone to fabricate a metal frame with side storage boxes, I’m in San Francisco but willing to travel to get this work done, any recommendation?

Also- Do you know the dimensions of the 16.5 ft fiberglass sections, specifically the cabover length compared to  the bed section length? I think the layout difference with the back door won’t change the overall dimensions and my sunrader is in storage two hour away.

• 2 weeks later...

How much overhang past the back axle is normal? I notice some cabover campers have tailgates down and stick out past the open tailgate, but how much is too much?

The existing 1978 toyota truck does have a frame extension and I would replicate that with the tundra, but since the wheelbase is shorter, the distance from axle to back of camper would be longer than it currently is. 

The wheel wells will be removed as the camper will sit a little higher on a subframe bolted to the truck bed frame. The bed will be removed.

Comparing to the motorcycling world you are considering something similar to a chopper.  There is a considerable amount of engineering that goes into frame alteration. Yet, people without engineering degrees alter the frames on their vehicles all of the time (choppers) with varying levels of success. Your question is very complicated and would require a considerable amount of engineering expertise. I wonder if visiting an RV store that sells pickup bed campers, asking what model may fit your Tundra, and then measuring how much overhang the bed camper has beyond the bed would give you an approximation. Or you just measure your Sunrader, accommodate its length with fabricated frame extensions, and adjust your driving habits to how the end result handles.  

Your plan is to mount the coach like a flatbed camper so no adjusting required for wheel wells. Your adding an extra frame that can add a couple of feet to the length of the frame. Is your truck an 8 ft bed? You have no issues here. You can think about a project forever but no one can plan everything. Stuff will come up. Your not going to know what till you get your hands dirty

Linda S