What controls the overdrive on a Mini Cruiser, other than the button on the stalk?  Trying to get a general overall idea of the system so I know if it is something I need to deal with in a standalone ECU conversion.  And just to know how/when it works in general.   

Also I am mildly confused as to what exact year I should call it.  The emissions sticker I think actually listed it as an 86.  Body is an 85, RV listed as an 86.  Whatever the case...  

Edited by thewanderlustking

in 85 there were 2 systems. efi, and tccs. neither show any connections to cc.  both systems employ a cat. egr should not open unless at cruise conditions, so cat warm up is not an issue.

Asking about the overdrive, sorry I think I confused you, or your answer confused me lol.   Obviously with a button and a dash light, it is connected to something.  Is it just to a solenoid in the transmission, or does the engine ECU have some say over it?

I figured this question was not related to the emissions questions I was asking in the other thread.   

I locks unlocks over drive (4th). Probably 95% of the time with the Toy home it should be off they just don't have the power for the weight.

Okay so this goes directly to the A43D transmission and simply allows the transmission to select 4th gear, or locks it out?  No relay in the middle?    

Trying to hunt down information on the system, I was seeing reference to the solenoid being grounded by the engine ECU.  In fact let me go grab that.  This is referencing a couple years newer vehicle.  The thread was over here:

My take is when you turn the key and start the car the overdrive solenoid is "closed" - that is to say NOT energized 12V via the O/D relay which "closes" the fluid path to the 4th (O/D) gear in the tranny. This happens because the ECU is providing the ground for the relay - which is "open" (switch is open) preventing 12 volts to the solenoid.
THEN when operating temperature is acheived and/or the ECU likes all the signals its getting from the rest of the sensors it takes away the ground "closing" the relay contacts which energizes the solenoid - " opening" the ports to allow fluid to the 4th ( O/D) gear...?? 
Does this make sense or am I missing it?

So Maineah, if our transmissions DO NOT have any temperature protection afforded by the above circuit and there is no interaction with our ECU, I am thinking this could be smart to implement.  In my case, it wouldn't be very hard to do.  

I also suspect the reason why my transmission was/is hurt is due to improper use of that overdrive.  At only 32k miles, I shouldn't have seen fluid that badly burnt.  Granted it was old, still.  

Ugh, I need reliable wiring diagrams.