Recommendations for Dry Rot/Wall Rebuild Resources

87SeaBreeze

Thank you to all the active posters in this forum!!! 

I have been learning a ton from each of you, including what tires to buy the value of my 22RE engine, and how not to totally panic as I work to bring my 87 Seabreeze back from almost 2 years of neglect during Covid, and a ton of damage my RV suffered in a "secure" storage this year. It is now in a new lot, thankfully. (Pic below is before the 7 new Nexen tires I just put on, alignment, etc.)

I could use help in locating any California Bay Area companies willing to repair dry rot or rebuild a wall on a Toyota motorhome. I have been trying since the Summer, but many companies seem not to want to work on this type of older motorhome because it takes "a lot of work to repair dry rot or do any amount of rebuilding of the structure". It is confusing to me because I'm not asking for the work to be done for free, and there seems to be a push from the vendors to get me to sell my RV. I'm not interested i selling it, currently, but I am interested in repairing the passenger section of wall from the door to the back (I may be over-estimating the scope of the repair, because I am adding 3ft in each direction from where I noticed some damage...

I wish I had a place, the tools, enough time and level of skill to do the work myself for this phase of my renovation journey, alas...

If anyone has a solid company for RV structural repairs, please advise.

💗Thanks so much and now that I've finally joined this forum instead of just reading and learning, and I'll also start posting a list of great resources, and products that I have been discovering on my renovation and improvements journey...💗

080159FF-181F-4CB2-A7E6-1B1750231E61.jpeg

Any good finish carpenter or even a good handyman would probably be able to do the work.

Think of your coach as a mobile home (trailer) on wheels. Wood framed wall with metal or plastic siding. Keeping everything square and plumb is very important. This is why you want someone with experience. I always take a zillion pictures during the rebuild process. Save any old paneling to use as a template for new replacement pieces.

Thank you for this advice! 🙂 Yes, it is indeed just wood framing and siding that need to be level, etc. just like any home. I will start calling around to carpenters to see if they can help, and I'll keep my eyes on this forum in case anyone has a local motorhome repair resource or carpenter they have worked to recommend.

I just posted a video about all the water damage and dry rot on my rig, I actually just decided to tear it all down and start over from scratch. If you have ppl telling you to sell it but refusing to work on it, I'd say that means you have something valuable! I know it's probably not the answer you are looking for, but there is never any time better than the present to learn a new skill. I would suggest researching more and deciding if it's something you can do. You would need a set of basic carpentry tools, and then you could just purchase/ rent other tools that you need along the way. Good luck with your project!

Thank you for your insights, AKPirate! You raise a very interesting point. I'm pretty sure the repair/rebuild will be pricey having someone else do it, so if I had a space (driveway, land, warehouse, etc.), locally, I would probably tackle try to tackle at least some of it...I'll keep you posted if I end up tackling anything myself.

I just watched your awesome videos!!! Clearly, I need you and Austin as neighbors/friends! Then, I could help you guys, while learning a bit from you about rebuilding, before tackling stuff on mine. I guess I'll settle for just watching your videos to continue to watch and learn from you. Very cool!

Hey no worries! I really hope that you get it all figured out. I am actually going in a totally different direction with this project than what I originally had in mind. I am going to be converting it into a flat bed, but rigging it for overlanding. My next video will be all about conceptualizing my ideas and then coming up with a plan to execute. I am a big fan of keeping things simple, and I think just getting rid of the camper will make my life sooooo much easier, but my camper was in MUCH worse condition than what yours appears to be. In any case, I think you will probably have some luck finding someone to do it for you at a reasonable rate! 

• 8 months later...

Wondering if you ended up finding a company that would do this work for you? I am in Northern CA and have the same issue.  I am willing to drive it anywhere, including Mexico but not capable of any DIY projects. Thanks in advance for your insights.