In several weeks we will be heading from Oklahoma to UP Michigan, 19hrs of drive time, appx 1135 miles. I have enough money to replace one or the other, the shocks or the springs. The shocks look old and the springs look flat. What do yalls think is the most important to prioritize for the trip? Also, I'm doing the job myself... Are they both relatively easy jobs?

8 minutes ago, Scott iv said:

Speak to the symptoms you are experiencing when driving. Is the vehicle bouncing like a pogo stick? Are you bottoming out with a hard bang over large bumps? Shocks would definitely be easier but may not cure the problem symptoms

I definitely get the large bang over bumps, and we've been bottoming out getting out of driveways and parking lots. And it's a little bouncy, but not terribly. I'm  really just concerned because the leaf springs are so flat. I live out of this rig with my girl and her dog, and we've been adding quite a bit of weight to it, with the addition of tools and all.  I drove it to Oklahoma from Oregon 6 months ago, and now I think I'm just getting paranoid. I know the rear suspension will have to be replaced, I'm just not sure how pertinent it is.

Not sure if you're bottoming out your suspension or just scraping the tail end of your motorhome on aprons. New leaf springs should give you some lift and will prevent you from bottoming out (research leaf springs here as some have bought Old Man Emu leaf springs without enough leafs and they also flattened).  Shocks prevent the bouncing but will not give you any lift. Research replacing leaf springs and bushings. Remember ordering and having them delivered may take time, and it can be quite a job removing the rusted hardware to get the old ones out.  Make sure you have enough time to get the job done. 

I installed air bags and it gave my motorhome lift. My leaf springs are also on the flat side. 

5 minutes ago, Scott iv said:

Not sure if you're bottoming out your suspension or just scraping the tail end of your motorhome on aprons. New leaf springs should give you some lift and will prevent you from bottoming out (research leaf springs here as some have bought Old Man Emu leaf springs without enough leafs and they also flattened).  Shocks prevent the bouncing but will not give you any lift. Research replacing leaf springs and bushings. Remember ordering and having them delivered may take time, and it can be quite a job removing the rusted hardware to get the old ones out.  Make sure you have enough time to get the job done. 

I installed air bags and it gave my motorhome lift. My leaf springs are also on the flat side. 

Makes sense. We have scraped the tail, but its noticeable going over railroads for instance, the entire rig will bounce and it sounds like it's bottoming out.

From ur info, I might be able to wait on suspension till when we get up north. Thanks

25 minutes ago, WME said:

Thanks WME, super helpful. I'm concerned because there doesn't seem to be much clearance between the wheels and the wheel well. That may give me the peace of mind I need within my budget :)

2 hours ago, Scott iv said:

Never saw those rear springs. I may try those as long as they mount securely enough where they don't spring out and kill someone. 

They are a simple temp solution the spring bolts to a bracket and then the bracket is attached to the axle with a U bolt. So things are safe. Just watch out for the brake lines.

The permanent solution with the same style setup is called a ZUK mod. The ZUK cost more and takes longer to install but you have a wider choice of spring rates. Just Google it

Edited by WME