New Owner (79 Doll) Various Qs : tranny, removing heater 4 wood stove, weight, Odd GVWt

RobotRichard.79DoLL

So the title says a lot I’ll start by the smallest questions after some background. I bought this sweet little Toyota dolphin 1979 at 60,000k pretty sure it wasn’t 160 by condition and the person I bought it from talked to the owners previous a bit. It is the rear kitchen bathroom model with the 78 truck model (last of the four round headlight models ever made, which I love in all it’s noir glory). The inside was immaculate until the person I purchased it from let water damage happen at two of the three air vents, but nothing to drastic, just needs to stay dry from here on out or I will have problems... My rig had also been sitting for seven years unused, but both the person I purchased it from is a mechanic I’ve worried with and so is my step dad so I have some experience and have done a bit of work, enough to get it through OR DMV >50 particle parts of whatever they measure (they say I done good). Changed spark plugs, filters and fluids, changed all the terminals to sauder sockets for batteries, both couch and rig batteries, gasket seal, wiper blades... then honestly not much else needed anything and it runs like a champ, but it’s lots some umpff I think from the unfortunate tranny damage. I’ve taken it 6,000 miles so far in 4 months do lots of errands ronovating and living in it at the same time (ugh). Small camping trips, daily cruises of 50+ miles anytime I didn’t feel like staying in Portland neighborhoods. So I know the beast can run, my only concerns are really tranny related.

the gvw is odd on my rig, as well as the tire pressure suggestions. Says only 20psi in all my tires, which just can’t be right. Then it also says gvwr 4600 and fromt 1850, so am I the rare 1 ton? My dual,y configuration begs to differ (5 bolt, but I think I’m safe from dismantling, Portland potholes and bridge bumps sure as heck proved that..) it’s made by dolphin camper company, everything says 78’ except my VIN on the inside door label and title is for 79’ definitely ordered some wrong parts at the start. 

My tranny leaks a bit at the yoke, replaced the seal and figured since it still leaks I need to add a speedy sleeve and will, soon. I have figured out I need to add 1/4 qt ever two weeks or so, but in my young ignorance I let the tranny fluid get very low once, pretty low once, and lower than I liked one more time learning my lesson. I hear a slight sort of friction, sand papery, grumble growl that I believe is from my tranny. I’m hoping with care and learning the truck fully it will last another five years when if I decide to keep it I will likely throw a five speed in, possibly go diesel and definitely 4x4 so everything will get redone anyways (balloon payment from my property). I know I could just buy one more suited to this, but I have done a lot of nice interior renovations with hard woods and incense cedar, plus configurations for my music studio space requirements as I write and record music. How worried should I be of this noise? Is it possible that it is just the yoke causing noise as it continues to ware? 

I wanna put a wood stove in;

my heater doesn’t work and whoever messed with it, really messed with it by trying to wire what seems like a circumnavigation technique of sorts for the fuse. Anyways fudge all that I wanna the ascethics and warmth not replaced by any buzzing gas heater. I found a sweet stove door, but may still buy a small barrel stove or I was thinking smoker and slapping the door on that, possibly building it from scratch with one of the welders I know. I want it very small, think three shoe boxes stacked together small, I have the 17’ dolphin after all and don’t use my bathroom but for storage, so I’m not heating much. The real logistics is the chimney, so far my thoughts are on this cheap telescoping stuff I’ve found on discount, double wall stainless steal normally $200 per 11-19” piece. My thoughts are that I can put the first movable section just past the exterior wall and then up same thing, meaning I could reduce the wall out chimney down to about 3-4 inches additional width and 4-8” additional height when driving. I know they say it needs to be three feet from nearest roof contact, would this be negated altogether by being 12” away from the exterior minimum before heading up likely 8-16” upwards in active use? I want to keep it as low profile while driving, but have it be legal for any inspections, under what curstances would I even expect an inspection of this sort of thing? Also how do I safely close my gas lines from previous heater? I was thinking cutting it back as far as I can find to get it away from stove heat source and then welding a cap, but would gas stay stagnate in that extra tubing? Would I need to get all the way to where it tees of from mainline and do the cut and cap there? I’m going to likely put stove oven where my closet is, I have the rear kitchenette and bathroom floor plan and this seems like the best central location, plus the other side has already been completely reconfigured and doesn’t have the space... Also I can make a cold air channel from the old heater exhaust port that will come from under up to the stove, negating smoke going through that area and ensuring good air flow without getting too fancy with the chimney, well fancier than I intend to go with the somewhat collapsible chimney style. Thoughts, questions, likely ignored concerns... all is appreciated. I want to not be stuck solely in southern states 1/3rd of the year and like off season camping for quite scenery, plus I grew up cross country skii camping so that may be a necessary reboot of tradition!

other than that I love the little old school gal, perfect size for me and my babe, a two year old neurotic blue and red heeler who is my best travel companion, alarm(daddy does the castle doctrine protection..), and cuddler. If you see someone with a natural mural pairing on the back, oceanic colored mirror bars, door handles, tailgate and smoky the bear plates cruising through your state and an awkward chimney coming off the side, that’s me!

Edited by RobotRichard.79DoLL
Ahhe

• RobotRichard.79DoLL changed the title to New Owner (79 Doll) Various Qs : tranny, removing heater 4 wood stove, weight, Odd GVWt
56 minutes ago, RobotRichard.79DoLL said:

So the title says a lot I’ll start by the smallest questions after some background. I bought this sweet little Toyota dolphin 1979 at 60,000k pretty sure it wasn’t 160 by condition and the person I bought it from talked to the owners previous a bit. It is the rear kitchen bathroom model with the 78 truck model (last of the four round headlight models ever made, which I love in all it’s noir glory). The inside was immaculate until the person I purchased it from let water damage happen at two of the three air vents, but nothing to drastic, just needs to stay dry from here on out or I will have problems... My rig had also been sitting for seven years unused, but both the person I purchased it from is a mechanic I’ve worried with and so is my step dad so I have some experience and have done a bit of work, enough to get it through OR DMV >50 particle parts of whatever they measure (they say I done good). Changed spark plugs, filters and fluids, changed all the terminals to sauder sockets for batteries, both couch and rig batteries, gasket seal, wiper blades... then honestly not much else needed anything and it runs like a champ, but it’s lots some umpff I think from the unfortunate tranny damage. I’ve taken it 6,000 miles so far in 4 months do lots of errands ronovating and living in it at the same time (ugh). Small camping trips, daily cruises of 50+ miles anytime I didn’t feel like staying in Portland neighborhoods. So I know the beast can run, my only concerns are really tranny related.

the gvw is odd on my rig, as well as the tire pressure suggestions. Says only 20psi in all my tires, which just can’t be right. Then it also says gvwr 4600 and fromt 1850, so am I the rare 1 ton? My dual,y configuration begs to differ (5 bolt, but I think I’m safe from dismantling, Portland potholes and bridge bumps sure as heck proved that..) it’s made by dolphin camper company, everything says 78’ except my VIN on the inside door label and title is for 79’ definitely ordered some wrong parts at the start. 

My tranny leaks a bit at the yoke, replaced the seal and figured since it still leaks I need to add a speedy sleeve and will, soon. I have figured out I need to add 1/4 qt ever two weeks or so, but in my young ignorance I let the tranny fluid get very low once, pretty low once, and lower than I liked one more time learning my lesson. I hear a slight sort of friction, sand papery, grumble growl that I believe is from my tranny. I’m hoping with care and learning the truck fully it will last another five years when if I decide to keep it I will likely throw a five speed in, possibly go diesel and definitely 4x4 so everything will get redone anyways (balloon payment from my property). I know I could just buy one more suited to this, but I have done a lot of nice interior renovations with hard woods and incense cedar, plus configurations for my music studio space requirements as I write and record music. How worried should I be of this noise? Is it possible that it is just the yoke causing noise as it continues to ware? 

my heater doesn’t work and whoever messed with it, really messed with it by trying to wire what seems like a circumnavigation technique of sorts for the fuse. Anyways fudge all that I wanna the ascethics and warmth not replaced by any buzzing gas heater. I found a sweet stove door, but may still buy a small barrel stove or I was thinking smoker and slapping the door on that, possibly building it from scratch with one of the welders I know. I want it very small, think three shoe boxes stacked together small, I have the 17’ dolphin after all and don’t use my bathroom but for storage, so I’m not heating much. The real logistics is the chimney, so far my thoughts are on this cheap telescoping stuff I’ve found on discount, double wall stainless steal normally $200 per 11-19” piece. My thoughts are that I can put the first movable section just past the exterior wall and then up same thing, meaning I could reduce the wall out chimney down to about 3-4 inches additional width and 4-8” additional height when driving. I know they say it needs to be three feet from nearest roof contact, would this be negated altogether by being 12” away from the exterior minimum before heading up likely 8-16” upwards in active use? I want to keep it as low profile while driving, but have it be legal for any inspections, under what curstances would I even expect an inspection of this sort of thing? Also how do I safely close my gas lines from previous heater? I was thinking cutting it back as far as I can find to get it away from stove heat source and then welding a cap, but would gas stay stagnate in that extra tubing? Would I need to get all the way to where it tees of from mainline and do the cut and cap there? I’m going to likely put stove oven where my closet is, I have the rear kitchenette and bathroom floor plan and this seems like the best central location, plus the other side has already been completely reconfigured and doesn’t have the space... Also I can make a cold air channel from the old heater exhaust port that will come from under up to the stove, negating smoke going through that area and ensuring good air flow without getting too fancy with the chimney, well fancier than I intend to go with the somewhat collapsible chimney style. Thoughts, questions, likely ignored concerns... all is appreciated. I want to not be stuck solely in southern states 1/3rd of the year and like off season camping for quite scenery, plus I grew up cross country skii camping so that may be a necessary reboot of tradition!

other than that I love the little old school gal, perfect size for me and my babe, a two year old neurotic blue and red heeler who is my best travel companion, alarm(daddy does the castle doctrine protection..), and cuddler. If you see someone with a natural mural pairing on the back, oceanic colored mirror bars, door handles, tailgate and smoky the bear plates cruising through your state and an awkward chimney coming off the side, that’s me!

If you have the 5 lug duel rear wheels your axle is unsafe to drive with. First consideration should be to upgrade to a ff axle.

56 minutes ago, RobotRichard.79DoLL said:

If you have the 5 lug duel rear wheels your axle is unsafe to drive with. First consideration should be to upgrade to a ff axle.

Wood stoves are dangerous, so if you must don't go cheep and cobble something up.

Here is a post about wood stoves. This stove is designed for small cabins and boats.

http://timmystoyota.blogspot.com/p/information-on-kimberly-wood-stove.html

I’m building the wood stove my self as I want it micro sized and know a lot of weilders, I am spending good money on all double walled chimney parts indeed as well, thanks for your concern. @WME pretty sure I see you post a lot in here and even on a discussion specifically about the above posters main concern, which I addressed personal inquiry and concern already, but would honestly have imagined the almost micro speed bumps of the highway road connector sections would have jiggled anything loose that could after literally doing small bunny hops. 40-100 times a day 3-5 days out of the week at 40-50 mph (wish I could go slower). anyways I think it might have even been you who said that it also depends on who produced the toy home that some five lug wheels and years of Toyota are in fact inferior to the six lug, but not of the same concern as the recalled five lugs. Do you know if that is true. I was assuming that mine might be in the okay list because I don’t think the manufacturer of my rig is on that list, plus seriously Portland bridges are horrible and the pot holes on some of these streets, well I’ve seen smart cars and slug bugs being eaten whole, whoop gone, just like that, where they go no one knows...

My 20R struggles past 50mph even with a light load so although that is still fast, having the smaller body and being a pretty conscious safe no music in the cab type driver I’m hoping if it ever did horrifyingly happen I could just bobsled instead of slip and roll... I do think about actually wearing my seat belt from time to time, but I figure if I’m gonna get in an accident and my dog can’t wear a seat belt, solidarity, that yyyy is my world.

On 9/29/2020 at 7:35 AM, fred heath said:

If you read my post you would know I have five lugs, if you got 1,500 I’m down to take you up on that generosity. In the meantime this young and dumb 26 year old is just gonna be very nice to his old lady and keep her on the road as long as possible. I’ll be getting the balloon payment to this property I happened upon in a couple years at which point I will upgrade everything, this also being mentioned in the post.

There is a post on the Groups/io site dated 28 Sept 2020. Poster is looking for a 1 ton axle, because his 1985 with foolies just snapped an axle.

Start looking for an 1 ton.

In the mean time run 10 psi MORE in the inner dual. This will reduce some of the strain off axle caused by the poorly designed outer wheel.

FWIW a new replacement axle is no longer available .

Edited by WME