1987 Dolphin Water pump question

Hi all, I’m new to the RV world so pardon my rookie question. 

Ill preface this by saying that the water pressure from the freshwater tank and pump works great.

The problem is that when the water pump switch is on, and the faucet is off, the pump clicks on for a split second every few seconds. Almost like it’s shorting out or something??

I read that the pump should only turn on when the faucet is on. It does that, but then “pulses” a bit erratically when the faucet is off.

I’m also a bit confused as to how the water pump and water heater work together. Are these pump spasms possibly from it trying to fill up the water heater tank??

I’ve also read that some people put a bypass on the water heater tank when they winterize it. How could I tell if I had a bypass??

I’d appreciate anyone’s input here that could help fill in the gaps for me! 

Edited by DanielM

Pump activating when water is off usually means you have a small leak somewhere. Water heater is water out at the same flow as water in so it doesn't need to refill unless it's been drained recently. Bypass can be found on rear of heater. Pipe going in, pipe going out. If they are connected on outside of heater with shut off valves that's the bypass

Linda 

Yep check your drain valve too. If the heater is by passed you will have no hot water.

3 hours ago, linda s said:

Pump activating when water is off usually means you have a small leak somewhere. Water heater is water out at the same flow as water in so it doesn't need to refill unless it's been drained recently. Bypass can be found on rear of heater. Pipe going in, pipe going out. If they are connected on outside of heater with shut off valves that's the bypass

Linda 

Ok Thanks Linda, your explanation water in/water out and the bypass is very helpful. So am I correct in my thinking here?

If I'm running off the freshwater tank, I turn on the pump, and it pushes water into the bottom of the water heater, and presuming it's full, out the top of the water heater tank, and towards all hot water faucets. 

If I'm running off a water hookup, water pressure from the hookup replaces the job of the water pump and everything else still functions the same, right?

So if the pump is activating and I don't have a leaky faucet, that means I might have a small leak somewhere in my lines?? Any tips for finding it other than just looking??

1 hour ago, Maineah said:

Yep check your drain valve too. If the heater is by passed you will have no hot water.

Pardon my ignorance, do you mean the drain valve that's outside the freshwater tank on the exterior side wall of the RV? The one that looks like a small water cooler spout?

Finding water leaks is no easy task. Check around the pump itself and the back of the water heater for wet spots. Think he means the water heater drain valve on the outside. If not completely shut could cause the problem. Follow everywhere you can stick a hand in and look for wet zones.

In a pinch, don't turn on the water pump unless your using water. And never hook up to city water. I've been doing that for years. I mean always. Why take a chance with old pipes. 

Linda S

8 hours ago, linda s said:

Finding water leaks is no easy task. Check around the pump itself and the back of the water heater for wet spots. Think he means the water heater drain valve on the outside. If not completely shut could cause the problem. Follow everywhere you can stick a hand in and look for wet zones.

In a pinch, don't turn on the water pump unless your using water. And never hook up to city water. I've been doing that for years. I mean always. Why take a chance with old pipes. 

Linda S

I'm sorry Linda, never hook up to city water? Or always hook up to city water? 

Simply hooking up to 'City' water (be it real 'City' water or a campground water can be a problem due to the unknown water pressure in the hose. If too high, it could damage the old plastic pipes and fitting. Buy a water pressure regulator to attach to your hose.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=rv+water+pressure+regulator

32 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Simply hooking up to 'City' water (be it real 'City' water or a campground water can be a problem due to the unknown water pressure in the hose. If too high, it could damage the old plastic pipes and fitting. Buy a water pressure regulator to attach to your hose.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=rv+water+pressure+regulator

Oh ok, understood, thank you Derek. I actually have a water pressure regulator that was attached to this hose when I bought it. I guess now I get to go try to find a leak. Does anyone know of any other reason why the pump would pulse and cut on periodically if it wasn't a leak??

I’m not sure about RV’S but most residential water pumps have a one way check valve outboard of the pump intake. This prevents water from back flowing to its source. A defective or partially blocked valve could cause the same symptoms you’re describing. If you find no obvious leaks in the piping, I’d check the pump. It could have an internal check valve in the body itself. 

3 hours ago, DanielM said:

I'm sorry Linda, never hook up to city water? Or always hook up to city water? 

I said never. I always just refill my tank instead of hooking up. Like I said these are old pipes. Spring a leak while your out hiking and hooked up to a water supply could potentially mean hundreds of gallons of water flooding your camper. If you left the pump on but just the water tank for water your looking at 20 gallons of mess to clean up max. 

Waste water is an issue too. If I only use the fresh tank I know I won't overfill the waste tanks. Unless your at a camp ground where you can permanently hook up waste lines,  you have to pay careful attention to how full they are and then go to the dump which sometimes means needing to completely pack. In no reservation camp grounds you might even loose your spot.

Linda S

19 hours ago, linda s said:

I said never. I always just refill my tank instead of hooking up. Like I said these are old pipes. Spring a leak while your out hiking and hooked up to a water supply could potentially mean hundreds of gallons of water flooding your camper. If you left the pump on but just the water tank for water your looking at 20 gallons of mess to clean up max. 

Waste water is an issue too. If I only use the fresh tank I know I won't overfill the waste tanks. Unless your at a camp ground where you can permanently hook up waste lines,  you have to pay careful attention to how full they are and then go to the dump which sometimes means needing to completely pack. In no reservation camp grounds you might even loose your spot.

Linda S

Oh ok, makes sense. Thank you for the input!