Looking at ordering a set of airbags to put in the project 4x4 Odyssey.  It looks like I need to figure out which is more applicable for my situation being a somewhat unique rig single rear wheel 4x4 camper.

I see this set of airbags being marketed for the 1990 Toyota Mini Motorhome with 5000 lift capacity.  I assume this is intended for the dual rear wheel layout as well.

I also see this set being marketed for a 4x4 Toyota 1990 but only 2000 pounds of lift capacity since they were not intended for a motorhome.  

I'm assuming I would need the second set since the 4x4 has different ride heights than the 2wd?  Is the lift 2000 lbs per bag?  If so, I think that would be fine for the motorhome application.  

Any input?  

The 2000lb lift one you show is supposedly only for the extended cab. I have no idea why they would need a different set for an extended cab. I did look at them further and the part number for the regular cab 2wd and 4x4 is the same. 

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/suspension-air-bags/air-lift-air-bags/toyota/truck-suv/pickup

So if these sets fit both 4x4 and 2wd I think the 5000lb motorhome one might fit your rig. 

Linda S

Thanks Linda.  Good catch on the identical part number.  I emailed the company so I will go ahead and see what they have to say on the matter and update the forum when I hear back.  

Well maybe someone here could help. Or you might be able to find someone. Find a Toyota motorhome and ask if you can carefully measure their air bag system to see if it will fit on yours. Jim is in Florida but I don't know how far away. Bet there are others too.

Linda S

I’m assuming it is stock height, it has larger leaf packs on the rear for the weight of the rig but I don’t know if this changes ride height.  

No that wouldn't be a lift. Just good springs. A lift on a 4x4 is an actual kit required to lift front and back installed for full frame or just body. If I thought you had one I would have recommended the 5100 series Bilstein's which are just for lifted trucks.  

Linda S

It is not lifted.  I have built and lifted several trucks.  It is the stock ride height for a 4x4 Toyota as far as I know.   

Another thing I'm taking into consideration is the rear sway bar.  Not sure if the Toyota 4x4 came with a rear sway bar and that bar mount looks like it may be right where the bags are designed to bolt! 

4d2TUwO.jpg

y2PiVUi.jpg?1

FWIW my Escaper had the rear bar under the axle and the torque arms went to the rear.