Bargman Rear Lights Repair Project

Just sharing in case some one else has this issue.

Need to get my 87 inspected so I've been working at getting it all back together. Finally at a point where I think I can drive it in without getting laughed out of the garage. Check the lights and none on the passenger side work. Took the lenses off and found one lamp holder rotted right off the frame and the other two bulbs frozen in corroded sockets.

Found some L-bracket sockets on Amazon but shipping seemed high and too long to get. Did another search on the web and found them for about $2.50 each for both the 1156 & 1157 bulbs. Ordered them Friday and got confirmation they shipped yesterday from NC. 6 bulb sockets with shipping for $18.26. Enough to do both sides. Got them at led4rv.com The LED prices are pretty high but these were cheap and what I needed. Some dielectric grease in the sockets to prevent the same problem and should be back up and on the road soon.

socket.jpg

light_frame_01.jpg

thanks got a few socket problem myself going to check into replacing some sockets just bought one lens need to replace all those not high priced 7 bucks for one plain red .

Got home to a couple packages in the mail including these. Really fast ship as I ordered them on Friday and Monday they arrive. Leads are a bit short but I can work with that. Will solder and shrink tube them with a bit longer wire. The quality of these are pretty good. Very sturdy and metal is not flimsy at all. The junk I found at the auto parts store was about the same price for just one side but not nearly as nice and didn't have the brackets so I would have had to fabricate something as well.

Just need a short work day this week and perhaps I'll do both sides. Got to also sand and paint the fixture. I'll post the completed job with pictures once done.

socket_02.jpg

The dielectric grease and the new sockets will likely outlast me. The metal still is ground for the lamp. So at least the inside needs to stay bare. So best to avoid painting them. The grease is electrically inert and will keep water out of the bulb connections. I use it on my electrical quick connects on the plow. I thought about the LED fixture upgrade but decided that saving power or lamp life wasn't enough of a benefit to justify the cost. After all I've spent, now I start getting cheap.

I sanded and sprayed the plastic frames this evening. Will likely go give it a last coat later and then do the sockets tomorrow. Solder some longer leads and then mount them back on this week. I do have some left over 1156 LED bulbs from when I re-lamped the interior fixtures. Would have to order two 1157 bulbs but I'll have to decide if it is worth it.

Quick update. Installed the new lamp sockets and rewired it back to the RV. The install is temp so I can at some point get a sticker but will need to seal it up and get it water tight. Thinking of adding some small o-ring cord into the groove to make it more water tight.

Here are the lamps.

light_03.jpg

who makes o-ring type material that long?

Just search o-ring cord on amazon and there are lots of options. A bit over $5 for 10 ft. of 1/8" cord. Just cut the cord with a razor blade and super glue. We used to do this to make our own o-rings on vacuum chamber flanges and such.

Was planning on non-sag lap seal for the back trim ring to exterior wall and perhaps even the lamp assembly unless there are better options. The FanTastic vents came with foam seal gaskets. I saved the remaining middle sections and could cut gaskets out of those but think it would still need some sort of sealant if for nothing else aesthetics. I'm thinking the foam would collect dirt and grime and end up being a dark ring around the light fixture.

Just search o-ring cord on amazon and there are lots of options. A bit over $5 for 10 ft. of 1/8" cord. Just cut the cord with a razor blade and super glue. We used to do this to make our own o-rings on vacuum chamber flanges and such.

Was planning on non-sag lap seal for the back trim ring to exterior wall and perhaps even the lamp assembly unless there are better options. The FanTastic vents came with foam seal gaskets. I saved the remaining middle sections and could cut gaskets out of those but think it would still need some sort of sealant if for nothing else aesthetics. I'm thinking the foam would collect dirt and grime and end up being a dark ring around the light fixture.

Go to the craft store, Buy the "fun foam" type of sheets. They come in two choices of thickness and lots of colors including black and white. It is a closed cell EVA foam and will be very suitable for the task as it does not absorb water. We make various types of gaskets out of it quite often as it cuts beautifully on the laser. It is of course not suitable for gaskets on hot engines. But great for things such what you are doing and it is inexpensive. As far as getting grimy goes, its washable.