Generator noise levels.

Derek up North

I agree with Honda EU3000 there are 2 one is quieter than the other but pretty close I have used them both in sound sensitive areas. It's the quietest one I have ever heard they are not real portable or cheap but doable.

The ECO mode sound levels are somewhat deceptive.  I seldom run my genset to power a light or run a computer or some other light load,  those for the vast majority of time are run off the house battery.   Most of the genset use is to power a heavy load  where it runs at the higher DB's.   

A 2000 watt genset running  against a 3K running the same load would be a good test.  Jim

5 hours ago, jjrbus said:

The ECO mode sound levels are somewhat deceptive.  I seldom run my genset to power a light or run a computer or some other light load,  those for the vast majority of time are run off the house battery.   Most of the genset use is to power a heavy load  where it runs at the higher DB's.   

A 2000 watt genset running  against a 3K running the same load would be a good test.  Jim

You said that you run your computer on house battery, Does the house battery have an inverter to run 110ac?

Laptops don't really use 110. The cord has a converter box right on it. Usually about 19 volts. 12 volt cords can be bought to plug them in with a similar box that ups the power to the needed amount. I've had a 12 volt  plug for all the laptops I've owned.

Linda S

8 hours ago, sonny sunrader said:

You said that you run your computer on house battery, Does the house battery have an inverter to run 110ac?

Yes I installed a small 800 watt inverter,  I find it handy for charging cell phones, running the computer, electric shaver and if I ever put in a TV.   Lots of this can be done with 12V. For any larger loads I start the genset.

Numbers from Yamaha:-

EF2000is         Noise Level (1/4 Load - Rated Load) --- 51.5 - 61 dBA

EF2400is         Noise Level (1/4 Load - Rated Load) --- 53 - 60 dBA

EF3000is         Noise Level (1/4 Load - Rated Load) --- 53 - 60 dBA

EF4500is         Noise Level (1/4 Load - Rated Load) --- 58 - 60 dBA

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/power-product

I have a cheap little generator it's reasonably quiet for what it is but I never take it camping. I have yet to need any thing other than my 100 watt panel no micro wave or AC. I do have an inverter but it's only used for a few minutes of local news on the TV. cell phone charged with 12 to 5 volt lighter plug. Most laptops will work fine on 12 volts but more than likely 12 volts will not charge the laptop battery but who cares the camper battery will run it for months.

The Lifan ESI2000 at ~1/3 of the price of a Honda:-

" Super Quiet – 60 Decibel Sound Rating at 23ft. (7m) "

http://www.lifanpowerusa.com/inverter-generators/energy-storm-2000i/

No mention of @ what load.

Hyundai HY2000i:-

" The HY2000si comes in at 65 decibels of sound. " (At full load, I'd hope! But at least it's a 'real' 2000w.)

http://portablegeneratorguide.com/hyundai-hy2000si-review/

Can't say I've ever heard of this wee thing (21lb):-

http://portablegeneratorguide.com/best-small-inverter-generator-earthquake-ig800w/

Will not run much! :)

12 hours ago, Maineah said:

Well if nothing else it will charge your batteries and run a fan and lights.

I read your post and wondered if it would run my charger a PD9145A.  My charger draws max 725 watts,  the gen puts out 700 continuous 800 surge.   Jim

Yes you would have to have pretty dead batteries to draw that much just because they can does not mean they will.

50 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Yes you would have to have pretty dead batteries to draw that much just because they can does not mean they will.

Thanks, I don't like the grey areas and would likely go a bit bigger.     Jim

• 1 month later...

All I know is when I use my Honda 2000i to run my roof top 11.5K AC it's very quiet in ECO mode but when it revs up to start the AC compressor it gets loud (to me) and then settles back down and purrs when the compressor cycles off!