Holy Grail

WME

Well here it is again 12v Aircon.  Real cryptic about details.....http://airworks.com/

Found some stuff that claims excess of 19 hours between charges but the battery bank needed for that would certainly not fit in a Toy Home. Also designed for Semi cabs which are small in comparison to even the smallest RV's. Sure would be nice though to have something like this with solar panels on the roof and about a dozen batteries you'd be set.:lol:

Yeah they require the huge battery banks big rigs have and big alternators. I found an 8000 btu one that minimum alternator was 180 amps. These have been pretty common in Europe for a while because most countries there don't allow extended idling time.

Linda S

The coolest (pun intended) future air conditioners will work with water and ice. While driving the ice is frozen into large block on alternator power then block is used with fans to be the AC at night while parked, melts and repeats. Not sure it would work for little toys though because of the weight of that water but the show I saw it on had it in semi trucks.

Most ice based cooling systems add moisture to the air which in humid climates can be a problem. I was thinking it would be pretty simple to make a closed system with a tranny cooler in a frame to fit in your window and circulate cold water through it from an ice chest with a little 12 volt water pump. Solar ones are pretty cheap. Like for a pond or water feature on ebay. Use your roof fan to draw air into your camper and it would be nice cold air. No added moisture. At night make more ice

Linda S

I've seen a few home made versions of ice coolers that run cold water through a heat exchange to prevent the moisture like you said Linda.

I was going to say the only benefit of this is using the water as a battery of sorts. But actually, that's a huge benefit. Water is basically free, and you could utilize every extra amp that your alternator is able to provide without over taxing it with a good system.

If you utilize water from the tank we already have that would be good.

Only problem is that I don't know how this system could really work in practice, ok actually I just figured it out for us. Basically a mini freezer has a freezable water tank in it, if it runs long enough it will freeze, if not it's just cold which is still good. Hear exchanger in tank goes to heat exchanger in front of a fan, glycol anti freeze can run through exchangers. 

But then again, in Los Angeles a swamp cooler works fine.

From some other articles about it, it seems they are using the type of battery used for a scooter. The 36 volt kind. Not sure but that would explain the 5 hours life on battery power. You certainly have experience with those batteries

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

From some other articles about it, it seems they are using the type of battery used for a scooter. The 36 volt kind. Not sure but that would explain the 5 hours life on battery power. You certainly have experience with those batteries

Linda S

My scooters originally came with 3 wheelchair 12 AH SLA batteries. I killed those from charging and draining 200 + times. I am now on a custom 30 AH LifePo4 pack that as of yet I have yet to ever see discharge all the way to fail; I'm pretty sure they have a 50 mile limit though which is better than a Nissan Leaf, prius and possibly a volt with no gasoline. :)