To rebuild or not to rebuild

Kevo

Hey everyone! I just bought myself a 1984 Dolphin. I've been doing repair to the cab over bed taking out all the rotten wood. I was wondering if anyone suggests whether or not to just tear the whole thing down to the frame and rebuild while its in pieces or stick to little projects like just the bed. Any suggestions or tips would be great thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the madness.    Tough question to answer, depends a lot on your skills and time available.  And cash we cant forget money.

A rule of thumb on these is it will take 2 or 3 times longer to do the work than what you think and cost 2 or 3 times more than what you plan for. Of course there is always that one that will plan it out to the exact minute and penny, I'm not one of those.

Do you have the tools and knowledge needed and a reasonable place to work? Tools can be bought/borrowed, knowledge can be acquired, a place to work may be difficult to come by. I am working in my garage and driveway, it would go a lot easier/quicker if I could leave everything laying out a times. I'm in FL so I don't care if there is not a cloud in the sky it is going to rain!

Financially on one hand it is not a great investment of time and money, on the other, no matter how much you spend it will be less than the first year depreciation on a new one.

Is that a 5 or 6 lug rear axle?

Of course this might not apply to you but it seems that most people who tear the whole thing apart never end up putting them back together. Fix the bed so you can use it and go have some fun. Take on one manageable project at a time and you have a better chance of not hating that you ever bought it

Linda S

You could tackle one section of the coach each year instead of doing it all at once. That way it will only be unusable for a few weeks each year. Do the most difficult ones first, the overcab rebuild does rate as difficult so you are already on track :)

Of course if you have the personality to dive in and push hard towards getting task done no matter their size then go that way if you also have the time available.

Edited by snail powered

absolutely agree with Linda and Dolphinite.  this issue is not limited to Toy motorhomes and RVs but is endemic to all RVs.  I see more than a few unfinished resto projects that the sadder but wiser owner is selling at basement price.......

Thanks for the great advice guys. I decided to slow things down a little bit so I don't get in over my head. Almost done with the over the cab bed just have to put up the walls and ceiling. 

Any suggestions on a new fridge or maybe an alternative…mine was broken when I got it. Don't really want to shell out the kind of money it takes for a new one.

Last steps for this project will be a nice painting of the interior and some new floors and I think she'll be ready for her maiden voyage.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Kevo

on a fridge, first Q is whether you plan on much boondocking or are you more the "stay at a campground with hookups" type?  especially if the latter, i'd take a hard look at JDemaris' thread on an AC fridge on an inverter.  he converted a small Igloo AC freezer to a fridge by adjusting the thermostat, and this seems to result in very low compressor run time.  his results seem to be less juice usage than even the current DC fridges.  you do have to allow for the juice wasted by the inverter, which on my 1000W Xantrex is .6 amps/hour.  

whatever the merits of propane fridges, I don't see going with one of those if installing a new fridge anyway. 

Learned a little something,  dry rot in wood is a fungi and anything that has a small bit that is not being replaced needs to be treated.  I used plan old antifreeze on mine.

You say your fridge is broke,  how is it broke?   Might be repairable?     Jim