One Window Chinook Layout

haney4147

My Chinook interior was gutted when I got it. It is a 78, but only has one large window on the passenger side. The drivers side has no window, vents, compartments, etc. I am trying to decide on a layout for the inside. I will be going with the gaucho style bed because I am too tall to lay across the width. I was thinking that it would be nice to have the dinette under the window, but don't know how I feel about sleeping on the traffic side of the vehicle if parked in a neighborhood.

Anyone have any idea what the factory layout was on the Chinooks with only one side window?

Thanks again,

J

My Chinook interior was gutted when I got it. It is a 78, but only has one large window on the passenger side.

Maybe you have a Chinook cargo van that was never sold to be a camper? I've got road tests, articles, and photos from every year the little Chinooks were made and/or sold and I've yet to come across a camper with just one side window. Not even the first Chinooks that did not even have propane or a metal sink to cut down weight. Also not the last Chinook Eagles in 79-80 that the top no longer popped up and they also had no furnace or propane. But - maybe I'm forgetting something. Regardless - it is your rig and you can do what you want. No window needed to finish the interior like a camper was. Note that Chinooks were sold as camper or bare cargo vans from 1978 to 1980 and maybe even a few years I'm forgetting. 79 and 80 came on Datsuns, Toyotas, for Mazdas (with the Ford Courier name on them).

post-6578-0-04128800-1453384148_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-95862200-1453384149_thumb.jp

I don't think it was a cargo because it doesn't have the wide door and the window on the passenger side is a chinook window. The drivers side does have a water and electric hook up, but that is all. It is also a pop top.

I will probably do something similar to the factory layouts, but I want to use a one piece mattress, maybe a futon mattress, for the bed. I like the idea of having the window over the kitchen counter, but still not sure if I would like having the bed on the traffic side of the vehicle. Maybe I am just being paranoid. I could always add a generic RV window to the drivers side, but I like the "stealth" factor that the plain side has if I did park in an urban setting.

Decisions, decisions...

J

Edited by haney4147

jdemaris do you have the rest of the pages to the document that those pictures came from? If so would you mind sending it to me? Not sure what is the best way to do that.

I tried to attach pictures that show both sides of the Chinook. Let's see if they work

Edit: It seems the photos didn't upload, here are links to them on dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6e2axzopzhjkpw/image%20%281%29.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg2545i2mr8ujp4/image%20%282%29.jpeg?dl=0

image%20%281%29.jpeg?dl=0image%20%282%29.jpeg?dl=0

Edited by haney4147

Interesting set of pcs. The window side has OEM paint job and the other side show repaint.

Can you look at the inside fiberglass and may be see if there is signs of a rework?

I'm out of the country, so cant take pictures of the inside. Luckily I bumped my return date up by a month and will be back in mid March to start working on this guy. I didnt see any sign of fiberglass repair, and in the pictures below you can still see the factory stripes under the very thin coat of white rattle can that someone sprayed on the drivers side. I do think this Chinook came from the factory this way, will try to get my father to take a picture of the inside driver side wall for further verification.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulkf5059oa8mc0k/IMG_1927.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nf5tnhfc4qz7xpp/image%20%283%29.jpeg?dl=0

There was a time long, long ago, like the 70's, when you could go to the factory and ask for exactly what you wanted. I've seen one of a kind custom orders on Sunraders lot of times. I think your Chinook must have been a custom order. Window on passenger side, ice cream truck?

Linda S

Here are more photos and diagrams for 1976 to early 1978 Chinook pop-tops. Late 1978 to 1980 came with a few different option packages, different refrigerator and furnace locations, added grab handles, built-in ceiling bunk, and an option to have a one-piece roof on the Eagle that did not pop up. I think I can only post 10 at a time here.

post-6578-0-36630500-1453474715_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-01284700-1453474717_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17379400-1453474718_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-69417900-1453474719_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-38204800-1453474721_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-54835700-1453474723_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-12352000-1453474725_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-08221800-1453474727_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-49333200-1453474728_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-98063800-1453474729_thumb.jp

@Linda S. I never considered the possibility of a custom order, that would make sense.

@jdemaris Thank you for the information. I really like the detail of the drawings. As far as the "Chinook Chick" I hear there may be some aftermarket options. Will follow up and report back ;-).

J

Since we are on the topic of windows the one window that this Chinook has is missing the bug screen and the latch is broken. Anyone know if replacement parts are available (seems unlikely). I am considering finding a new RV window that is just a bit longer and as close as possible to the same height to replace the original. And possible putting one in the drivers side, but still paranoid about loosing the "stealth" factor.

J

Chinook never offered dual fuel tanks. I have a second tank in my 1978 Chinook. It's a 15 gallon tank from a CJ Jeep and fits perfectly where the spare tire used to go. No exhaust system surprises me on any Toyota RV. The pipes are not factory and when they need to be replaced, have to be fabricated. On my 1988, someone ran a new pipe all along the driver's side and it burnt a hole right through my waste-water tank.

Just discovered another abnormality with this Chinook. . . . it has dual fuel tanks.

I forgot to ask. How was your 2nd tank done? 78 Chinook uses an electric fuel pump in the tank. So a 2nd tank either needs it's own fuel pump and a diverter switch, or a transfer-pump to be used to take fuel from one tank and send to the other when low. On my 78, each tank has its own electric fuel pump, also have a diverter valve, and also have two separate fuel gauges. It was too complicated to make the 2nd tank sender unit work with the OEM fuel gauge in the dash since Toyota's use an uncommon resistance value to power the gauge.

• 2 months later...

Finally got back to the US and had some time to start working on this project. First step was to fix the sagging roof. 

I took the roof off and removed all of the rotten pieced together wood frame. Replaced it with a steel frame that included some added cross braces that had a slight arch to prevent future sag. Here are pictures.

After the last picture I fiberglassed the new frame to the top completely covering the frame. 

As far as what vehicle to put it on. I think I have decided on making it semi-quickly removable. I want to build a 7 foot flat bed that the chinook body will sit on. The last bit of the chinook with the dropped floor will hang off of the back of the bed. The front will have to be closed off and a window installed that matches the truck window. Then I can use an inflatable boot to create a seal between the cab and camper. 

The reason for wanting it removable is I plan to do a lot of work to the camper and don't want to be committed to a truck that I may want to upgrade later. 

More updates to come soon. Moving to the floor next. Should I move this topic to the build section?

roof_1.JPG

roof 2.JPG

roof 3.JPG

roof_4.JPG

would love to see lots of photos of the top refurb....i'm afraid I have the same job coming on the fiberglass poptop of the Bandit....a fair amount of sag in the center on both fore-aft and lateral axes.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a 2 week road trip under a bed cap on my tacoma. The Chinook will definitely be an upgrade. Next I need to redo the floor, but Im still not sure what vehicle I want to put this thing on. Am considering cutting out the sides below the floor so that the camper will sit nicely on a 7 foot flat bed. Then I can easily test it on my tacoma and move to a different vehicle if I want to in the future. Even considered a full size Ford or Chevy. I like the idea of being able to haul a dirt bike on a hitch rack.

Or just fiberglass under the floor so it is a single monocoupe unit ready to transfer between host platforms. That is the way my recently acquired vintage fiberglass travel trailer is fabricated. It can be unbolted from the trailer and then easily moved to another base. It does not have any external holding tanks so that makes it easy to move to a new platform.

Edited by snail powered

On 1/23/2016 at 4:17 AM, haney4147 said:

Since we are on the topic of windows the one window that this Chinook has is missing the bug screen and the latch is broken. Anyone know if replacement parts are available (seems unlikely). I am considering finding a new RV window that is just a bit longer and as close as possible to the same height to replace the original. And possible putting one in the drivers side, but still paranoid about loosing the "stealth" factor.

J

Don't worry about the latch, you can secure the window with one of these window frame locks that are readily available at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They hook inside the track at the bottom or top of the window. The nice thing about them is you can secure the window with just an inch or so of open space so you have ventilation but no one can open it any further. Working original latch or not this is still a nice to have item.

049793798190lg.jpg

• 1 month later...

Because of unforeseen events I lost 2 months of time that I intended to work on the Chinook. With this delay I am not going to have it ready for a trip that is already planned. In order to make up lost time I am going to sell the Chinook shell and move to a newer van. Anyone here interested? I will post in the classified section tomorrow once I take more pictures.

Jared