Back To Alaska

darrel

2010 my wife and I drove to Alaska 4 months and 10,000 miles. This year we will do it again, only wife says she will only be gone 3 months this time. I have a new list of want to see list. It is my 70th year and I get to go and do anything my heart desires. That is, I want to go to the Alaska state fair in Palmer. Plan on leaving mid June.

Is there anyone out there that would like to tag along and become a caravan?

How about anyone with exciting sights to see?

post-1172-0-34112500-1427993653_thumb.jp

2010 my wife and I drove to Alaska 4 months and 10,000 miles. This year we will do it again, only wife says she will only be gone 3 months this time. I have a new list of want to see list. It is my 70th year and I get to go and do anything my heart desires. That is, I want to go to the Alaska state fair in Palmer. Plan on leaving mid June.

Is there anyone out there that would like to tag along and become a caravan?

How about anyone with exciting sights to see?

The tide bore is fun to see. Its just south of Anchorage, take the highway that goes to Seward to go past it. There are some glaciers down that way as well. Plenty of good camping on that road, fishing streams, lakes, etc.

Enjoy the fair, I have a few ribbons I won there as a young woman for custom men's clothing that I entered into the sewing section. Of course giant cabbage judging for the largest is always the biggest event of the fair.

here's my list this time: not in order and we keep on adding

Dawson City-again

Chena hot springs

clam gulch-dig razor clams

McCarthy, Kennicott mine

Alaska state fair, big cabbages

National Bald Eagle Foundation, Haines

Katchimac Bay, Homer

Delta Junction, met a guy while camping in Utah, his family own a burger restaurant there

Watson Lake, Yukon- hang a sign

Suspension bridge, Klondike Hwy #2-from Skagway to Carcross

Yukon road #4, Watson Lake to Carmacks

walk on another glacier

You could travel the Portage Glacier Highway and travel under a mountain. Then hop a boat tour in Whittier and see the glaciers from the water side view of them. The only way to get a vehicle to Whittier used to be to put it on the train. But now they have expanded the tunnel for vehicle traffic too. Toll is fairly expensive as it was an expensive project to build. But it cost less than the train used to considering inflation.

That's a cool way of using one WW11 train track. We have done all of that. Even ferried to Kodiak for 8 days. Have not been to Cordova and may not have the time this year. We very much like Seward and Valdez. The Girdwood summer woods fair is great.

Corbin, when did you live in Anchorage area?

That's a cool way of using one WW11 train track. We have done all of that. Even ferried to Kodiak for 8 days. Have not been to Cordova and may not have the time this year. We very much like Seward and Valdez. The Girdwood summer woods fair is great.

Corbin, when did you live in Anchorage area

In the 1970s. I went to Kodiak once on a fishing vacation, tent camping. But I had to fly back home after one week. The volcanic ash in the dusty roads caused my throat to swell and be so painful I could not swallow water. I was really bummed to miss out on a vacation I was having so much fun on. We were catching huge sea run Dolly Vardens in the streams.

• 2 months later...

If you can give very precise location I would very gladly do that. Will post pictures also. The reason I say precise location, there are thousands maybe tens of thousands of signs. We visited the sign post in 2010 and did not know of the signs. This year we will put up a sign saying our name an 2010/2015. I will take pictures an note the locating.

1984 a long time ago, why don't we meet there this year?

• 2 weeks later...

It starts on the 22nd, Monday. Have quite a few places to see and got the sign to put up in Watson Lake, BC.

Papa Fred, have you come up with a location of your Rockmart, Ga. sign?

Plan on 3 months of pleasure. Hope the smoke isn't bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of our very hot dry summer up here, you won't need mosquito dope in most places in Alaska. On the other hand you will need to stay apprised of where the fires are because of smoke and road closures. Most of southcentral Alaska is under control for the moment.

Fairbanks had some smoke-choking days last week.

We had to turn around, My brother in Washington is very sick. Wanted to be close to him. Made it to Williams Lake. It was not to be.

Thank you Fred.

• 1 month later...