Hi everyone, This has only happened a few times but recently in the early morning from a cold start my trans will slip out of gear when im pulling out of my spot at 2-5mph..anybody have any ideas? I'm gong to do a trans fluid flush tonight,I read on here that it could be low..what else do you think it could be? is this typical of these engines?

thank you for any advice!!

Well did you check the fluid? That's the first thing to do. Then see if it's still bright red or brown. Any darker color and definitely change the fluid or if you've never done it do it just for the hell of it. Mine shifts kind of hard if it's not warmed up. I usually give it a few minutes before I take off. I also use Lucas tranny stuff when I change the fluid. Acted up when I first got it and haven't had to have a rebuild yet. They are old. You have to baby them

Linda S

Hello, can you supply a bit more info? Year make & model? Are you saying that the lever moves out of position or the trans neutrals out for a few seconds while you are still in 1st gear...............or does this happen when the trans is shifting into 2nd gear?

Like Linda said, check your fluid level..........don't be in a rush to change the fluid...If you are developing a problem, the old fluid in the pan may hold some clues as to your problem.. Try allowing the truck to warm up for a few minutes B4 attempting to pull out...see if it still does this....

Where are you located? Cold climate? How many miles? Have you owned it long? Is this the only problem that you are noticing?

Are all the shifts on time & firm enough to satisfy you? Report back, there are others on here that can help you..........donnie

If it has a lot of miles and the fluid is brown and smells if you change the fluid you'll be walking in a couple of weeks. As other have said low fluid level. They are tough little transmissions but they are asked to do a big job if it hasn't been maintained you maybe headed for an overhaul.