Is this a good engine? will I have trouble/w parts, since the '85 designg changed? Does this mean that some parts were used only on the '84 R-e, that would have been used neither on the 22r nor the RE from 85 on?

Rated I believe at 105 HP v 112 hp for the 85? Will I notice this power difference?

Thanks--yes, I've read the Wikipedia stuff already, but that didn't really answer my question--as far as parts availability for this particuIar model; I was hoping for advice from someone in the group who might actually know these engines--also, the HP difference is a concern for me--is there really that much diff between 105 and 112? also will the torque diff make a diff?

Yes the hp makes a diff. The parts for the 85-95 are much more common

Thanks--but as far a the cylinder heads, timing chain--are those used on the '84 22R-E compatible with the same yr 22R? I guess not because the R-E is fuel injected, so different head design?

Also wondering if the block is cast iron and the heads alloy, or all cast iron?

The E is German for ein spritz (fuel injected) the TE engine was turbo charged injected (TE).Yes the engine will fit but there might be differences in wiring for the sensors, fuel pumps, exhaust etc. If the engine has a carb it is a 22R or 20R, early 20R and 22R had double roller chains and a few things like water pumps were different. All the blocks were iron and the heads were aluminum,

The block is shorter, the head has different port design, because the block is shorter so is the timing chain. This is the 84 vs the 85. The 84 parts should interchange between an R an RE

Wondering--is there a way to increase HP significantly without switching out the engine? Would OS valves on a reman head help? Otherwise I was thinkig of switching for a later model reman RE or TE, though the current engine only has 75 k, so not sure if I should do that? Maybe some upgrades to the current engine would be better?

You aren't going to get power out of 22 series engine. If you want power, swap in a powerful engine.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5964

What 22R/REs do is last a long time, get halfway decent fuel mileage, and come with the right gearing to make the most out of a small, efficient engine. You get power by being up in a high rpm range, not from strong engine power.

Even the 80's and early 90's V6 engines weren't that much more powerful, but got worse gas mileage and had headgasket and valve issues, and were a LOT more expensive to maintain, and complicated to work on.

Throw a 90's or newer Toyota 4 cylinder in there, or late 90's V6, or a Chevy 350 if you want power.

But don't start throwing a bunch of money at the 22RE trying to squeeze a couple extra horsepower out.

Big valves reworked head 2" exhaust headers will give you a great deal more cost then power. A turbo would spice things up use more high test fuel and put a large dent in your bank account bottom line how much would you pay for power? There have been a few Lexus V8 swaps and even Chevy 350's. Save your money take your time and enjoy, the little 4 will get you where your going..

OK--so a 90s RE? but is there any diff bet a 90s RE and, say, an '85, '87, etc? did the design change again after '85?

a late model RE is pref. to an R-TE (which was only produced to '88, right?)?

I've been talking to Oregon rebuilders, and they claim I can get up to 140 HP with some changes to the head (or maybe it was head + exhaust system--clarifying that now...)

I'm just looking for a comfortable cruise at about 65-70 with the small RV (not the 21 footer...)--a 350 I don't need...though a V6 Vortex might be nice, if it would go in there...

The 4 cylinders they put in the Tacoma were a newer, more powerful 4cyl. The 22R/REs pretty much had the same horsepower. A little gain from the R to RE, but I don't think there was any gain from the first RE to the very last. So you'd want to be looking for newer than '95.

You can find the horsepower numbers, I'm sure.

I can cruise at 65-70, flat ground or a slight incline, in my 1978 Chinook with a 20R.

Changes to the head and upgrading the exhaust are going to cost you. If you have money and want to get every last horsepower that the 22RE, when really souped up, will produce, then go for it!

I would drive the thing for a while to see what the power is like, so you have some idea of the gain. I think most of the gain when people do this kind of stuff is in the person's head, because they're expecting it to drive better.

But with a specialty cam, upgraded exhaust and upgraded head, you'd probably notice a real, though small, increase in power. I'd be really interested to hear what the cost ends up being, though.

There have been a few Lexus V8 swaps and even Chevy 350's. Save your money take your time and enjoy, the little 4 will get you where your going..

Yeah, I do dream of a Lexus V8 swap somday but why fix something when it's not broke. My 22 has served me well thus far.