1990 Toyota Dolphin

joni51

My 1990 toyota dolphin will not start. It wont even turn over. We had it towed to a garage in town and they cant seem to figure out whats wrong, they tried all the obvious things and chalked it down to a electrical wire. They dont feel comfortable putting it on a lift, for fear of messing up the frame. What it boils down to, they dont know how to fix it. I live in near Sandusky Ohio and need to find someone who is familiar with a older toyota. Any suggestions would be very helpful, I need to tow my Dolphin out of the garage where it is now. Thanks

To diagnose in a logical way and avoid wasting a lot of time -there is an order to follow.

First - are you sure the battery is charged? What happens when you turn the key on, the headlights on, etc.? if it's dead - no sense going further. A reputable repair shop should have a battery load tester and be able to tell immediately if the battery and the battery cables have power.

If the headlights work - then turn the key and try to start. When "nothing" happens when turning the key - do the headlights go dim or stay bright? If they go dim whenever you turn the key - you've got a bad connection between a battery cable and main power lead to the truck (or some problem similar). Keep in mind that only holds true IF the battery is fully charged. If the battery is only partially charged the headlights will dim just from the draw from the starter. If the headlights do not go dim - then there is NO current draw from the starter. Check voltage at the small wire that hooks to the starter (that activates the starter relay). If it has power and the starter does nothing - you've got a problem with the relay/solenoid. If there is NO power to that circuit when turning the key - you've got a wiring problem between the starter and the key switch. Maybe a neutral safety switch or a clutch-pedal switch (if it has one)?

Need more info to be of any real help.

need to find a shop that can raise it up to check out the starter wireing. shouldn't be too tough to confirm the starter is getting voltage and that it works. could even be the the ignition switch itself?

This really is not rocket science it should be a simple diagnoses my guess is the guy just does not want to fix it.

I've had the same problem happen to me twice but usually after an interval of a 100,000 miles.

Turn the key, dead quiet and the lights don't even dim.

When it happens the first time, I tap the starter with a tire tool and it seems to start normally. Tapping works for awhile, even months. It's not always dignified and in rainy weather is a pain.

I believe it is the solenoid going bad. Unfortunately, it is part of the Toyota starter and therefore gets replaced with the entire assembly.

Usually they start clicking and then get to the point of not cranking in that case it's the contacts inside of the solenoid they can be replaced but finding some one to do it is far harder then finding a starter.

MAINEAH you are right we still have rebuilder shops here but i just buy the contacts one guy told me i was the only guy he knew that installed them at home. I HAVE taken them and filed them and ran ok for a time last i bought was 8 or 10 dollers most of the time that is all that is wrong. they want us to not know that he even told me that he said we charge them 50 bucks to install those. takes me 30 minites at home

Hey everybody, I have had this exact problem with 2 Toyota trucks. One being my 1989 SR5 4x4 and the other my 1990 Itasca. I had same issues as described. Turn key and nothing happens. Battery is fully charged. I would hit starter with bar several times and it would start (sometimes). I knew the starters would good because I had them rebuilt. After many hours searching the net I found the cure. When the key is turned to start vehicle it sends a milliamp of power to the selinoid .. After years of starts the ignition gets weak and the starter doesn't see the proper amps. So it will not start.

I bought a "hot shot" relay from Summet racing. Its is a easy install with all proper wiring. Basically my starter gets a full 12v to the selinoid now. This "hot shot" relay is built for race car so they can start when the engine and starter get real hot. Now it has been quite a wile since I have done this and can't recall the specifics so a online search will give you the answeres to your questions. This mod has worked great and have not had no more starter problems.

Hope this helps

Jay

the battery being charged & good is a place to start. most chain autoparts will test it for free.

the lights dimming & clicking tests are good too.

checking the starter & solenoid are next. check cables for condition & connection. if you have to, drop the starter & get it checked. if tapping on it makes it work then you have a hint...

3 things.

1. I mistyped the date. This is 1992 Dalphin

2. The vehicle is running fine. Rocket science is not required.

3. I find nothing wrong with looking for baseline information.

Edited by Highlander315