Major project?

Aimlessly

Does this look like something I want to avoidin purchasing a Toyota? This is a 92 Winnebago w/75,000 miles for $8500. I'm willing to spend a little to make improvements, but not thousands of dollars...

post-3846-12745850697444_thumb.jpg

Does this look like something I want to avoidin purchasing a Toyota? This is a 92 Winnebago w/75,000 miles for $8500. I'm willing to spend a little to make improvements, but not thousands of dollars...

Its hard to tell the extent of the damage by looking at this one closeup photo, but it looks like the wood framing has gotten wet and swelled up causing the joint to open up. Some exploratory surgery from the inside will probably be the only option.

I'd avoid paying $8500 for one that might have that work required, especially if you'll be paying someone else to do it. I paid $3k for a '90s SeaBreeze with a similar but worse problem, but doing the work myself, I feel confident I can 'cure what ails it' for a reasonable amount of time and money. Paying someone else to do it would change everything.

As above, it's hard to say from one picture. Have you got any others? I doubt if a seller will let you do any 'exploratory surgery', but what does it feel like when you push on the areas (outside and inside)?

I'd avoid paying $8500 for one that might have that work required, especially if you'll be paying someone else to do it. I paid $3k for a '90s SeaBreeze with a similar but worse problem, but doing the work myself, I feel confident I can 'cure what ails it' for a reasonable amount of time and money. Paying someone else to do it would change everything.

As above, it's hard to say from one picture. Have you got any others? I doubt if a seller will let you do any 'exploratory surgery', but what does it feel like when you push on the areas (outside and inside)?

I wouldn't have a clue on how to fix it. I would have to pay someone or learn via the internet. I'm hoping to take my husband to look at it tonight and will push & prod it more. I can say that they pointed out (without me even looking for it) that the seam on the inside (under the mattress) had split. When I asked how or why that happened, they made no indication that it was from water. They put a piece of metal in to connect the metal on the front to back seam & the metal that was from right to left seam (does that make sense?) & caulked it. There was no smell & the interior & the rest of the exterior was in decent shape.

I REALLY want a Toy! We've always owned older toyota vehicles & never have any problems. When we had american made vehicles, they always started to nickel & dime us by 80,000 miles. That is the main reason I don't want to buy an older motorhome with an american (or mexican) motor.

I've been looking on & off for about 2 years & there seems to be plenty of 4 cylinders. I found one for $2500 close by, but I haven't looked at it yet. However, my husband took a HUGE pay cut when he was laid off & found a new job ($4 an hour!), so $2500 is more feasible. I really don't want to wait much longer as I have a 10 year old that I want to take camping now - before it's uncool to do anything like that with his parents. What's your opinion of 4 cylinders? I noticed that people are on the net saying they are horrible when you have to go uphill & our driveway is a huge hill. To give you an idea, we had a '91 Toyota 6 cyl. truck that if I stopped 1/2 way up our driveway, I wouldn't be able to go any further. I had to back down & start again.

Whatever we get, I'm hoping to keep for years to come. But for now, I have no extra money to put into upgrades or redecorating. Here's another picture:post-3846-12746245594249_thumb.jpgpost-3846-12746246982472_thumb.jpg

heres what to expect. You will need to replace some framing which requires removing interior paneling. A couple of weekends start to finish if thats the only affected area . Check burnt shasta a few posts down for further insight although don't get scared. Look & stand if possible on roof feel for softness. bring ice pick/awl with you and pook around inside especially around seams vents etc.

post-1400-12746259880384_thumb.jpg

post-1400-12746260031504_thumb.jpg

post-1400-12746260352604_thumb.jpg

If you want to take your son camping, which is awesome, a couple backpacks, sleeping bags and a tent is much cheaper and easier to maintain. Thats camping. A motorhome is RVing. Get him hooked on camping and a motorhome turns into a good tool to live and travel in between trips. What ever you do, have fun.

That's from a water leak somewhere above. I don't think it split because of swelling, the term would be it came apart because the interior framing has rotted. It can be repaired but its not a $50 fix. Ask the seller if you can take it to a RV repair facility to get an estimate. The catch is they will probably only give you an open estimate because they could find more wrong and thus the labor would increase. Unless the seller is willing to drop the price considerably (3 to 4K) and let you get an estimate on repairs I would walk away. We bought our 91 with cab over water damage at a low price. I did all the work myself and that made it worth it. Our rig also has aluminum framing and not wood which made a huge difference on repairing the damage. I see the 92's sell in the $10.500 area but in pristine shape.

I guarantee its not the only one for sale in the country. If you really want one sometimes you have to travel a couple hundred miles to get the one you want and fits your requirements. Above all don't buy it without some inclination of how much its going to cost to have it repaired. I know someone who spent over $3000 to have similar damage repaired. Buyer beware.

If you want to take your son camping, which is awesome, a couple backpacks, sleeping bags and a tent is much cheaper and easier to maintain. Thats camping. A motorhome is RVing. Get him hooked on camping and a motorhome turns into a good tool to live and travel in between trips. What ever you do, have fun.

Believe me, if I had my way, I would take a tent anytime! That's how we did it when I was a kid. But his Dad hates tents (everytime we did camp in a tent, it rained!) and, believe it or not, my 10 year old BOY absolutely hates bugs and he's afraid something will crawl over him when he's sleeping.

I'd even take a pop-up, but we have no truck & we have 2 dogs (1 a husky) we'd like to take with us on occassion. So, to comprimise, I thought an RV would be the way to go. I think the Toys out there are awesome &, I hate to use this word, but; cute!

What do you guys think of the 4 cylinders? If I hear all of you say your not too keen on 4 cylinders, I guess I'm going to have to be satisfied with an american winnebago or some other american made motored RV. And hope someday my finances will allow me to trade in my not so great american made motor for a redone Toy.

Derek up North, wanna fix this one for me? I'm in Pennsylvania and would be more than happy to bring you a new project. I'll even throw in a case of beer.... ;

post-3846-12746369570662_thumb.jpgpost-3846-12746370021706_thumb.jpg

I wish I could offer to help you out, but I've already got enough grief from my neighnours when I brought one home. They don't even know that I have a second one stashed elsewhere!

Where (roughly) are you in Pa? Maybe we can keep our eyes open for one for you.

Remember, it's only the cab that's by Toyota. The coach is all American and can still nickle and dime you to death quite effectively. The onlt alternative that comes to ming that's all foreign is the VW Westfalia. But with the whole gang along (inc 2 dogs) you'll probably find it a bit cramped. Unless you happen to be a young musical band on tour!

P.S. I'm afraid that a case of American beer is a disincentive to most Canadians!

I wish I could offer to help you out, but I've already got enough grief from my neighnours when I brought one home. They don't even know that I have a second one stashed elsewhere!

Where (roughly) are you in Pa? Maybe we can keep our eyes open for one for you.

Remember, it's only the cab that's by Toyota. The coach is all American and can still nickle and dime you to death quite effectively. The onlt alternative that comes to ming that's all foreign is the VW Westfalia. But with the whole gang along (inc 2 dogs) you'll probably find it a bit cramped. Unless you happen to be a young musical band on tour!

P.S. I'm afraid that a case of American beer is a disincentive to most Canadians!

I was afraid you would say that - about the beer I mean. ; )

I'm in Lancaster County, home of the amish. However, I'm only 8 miles from the Maryland border, so I also always look on CL in Baltimore.

Only one more question; what do you think of 4 cylinders?

Guess you have not tried any of the California Micro Brews.

Aimlessly - The passenger side picture you posted shows damage on that side also. That's really bad news. Personally I would not pay over $3500 or less with that extent of water damage. And that would be me doing the work. My guess is the whole cab-over would need to be rebuilt seeing that both sides show separation.

Guess you have not tried any of the California Micro Brews.

Aimlessly - The passenger side picture you posted shows damage on that side also. That's really bad news. Personally I would not pay over $3500 or less with that extent of water damage. And that would be me doing the work. My guess is the whole cab-over would need to be rebuilt seeing that both sides show separation.

That's good enough for me. It looks as though that's out the question. And the 4 cylinder I found in Allentown isn't listed anymore, so I think I'll keep looking.

Gulfstream Greg, what's your thoughts on 4 cylinders? (I promise I'll stop asking questions once you answer this)...

what's your thoughts on 4 cylinders?

the 4cyl are 22r or 22re and are a great reliable motor. Not to many people dispute that but if you add a camper alot more haters out there. This hill you have sounds like a deal breaker though. I've never come across a hill that i can climb but if your 6cyl has problems the 4 will give you more problems. I've put over ...80k on mine 140-50k now and not one engine problem, oh i did change the engine when i got it so i guess thats a problem. But there are plenty of 4cyl out there with 300k all day

my 1 cent

All Toyota camper up to 89 were 4 cylinders 89 was the split year both 4's and 6's so there is a huge amount of 4's out there still churning along. Mine is a 4 and I have no problem with it the only thing I think I could beat in a drag race would be a fully loaded semi but it climbs hills and goes as fast as I need it to and the 20R through 22RE engines may have been the best 4 cylinder ever made. The 6 is nice a bit more power but they are also more complex and more expensive to fix if they brake. Personally I think it should not be a deal breaker if you find a clean one with a 4 cylinder.

Gulfstream Greg, what's your thoughts on 4 cylinders? (I promise I'll stop asking questions once you answer this)...

My personal preference would be to get the V6. My reasons have nothing to do with engine reliability. Its mostly a horsepower under the hood issue. There is another reason also. We all know that the V6 has the head gasket issue. But that's really it. The 4 cyl on the other hand is proven reliable but its coupled with an auto transmission that does not have a locking torque converter and so its transmission is prone to overheating problems and over drive is unusable, and it could certainly use some more horse power for those hills, especially at higher altitudes. Those two reasons alone are my reasons for preferring a V6. Horsepower and transmission.

I think the 4 cylinders are great! I've driven the same model 4 cylinders in Toyota cars and trucks since at least 1980. I have a 22r and a 22re now - both in Toyota motorhomes. The 3.0 V6 is one of Toyota's poorest engines (I have one of these too) and is a maintenance nightmare (requires too much preventive maintenance and is hard to work on). The very quantity of Toyota 4 cylinder motorhomes still in service after all these years is testament to their durability.

All that said are you sure you can't find a pop-up light enough to tow? That would be an inexpensive and simple way to get in some camping time without having to sleep on the ground. If not then how about a bigger tent and sleeping cots? Getting up off the ground goes a long way to staying dry and might be an easier transition to camping than sleeping on the ground.

If you do go with a Toyota motorhome understand that it's an old vehicle and expect that there will be regular repairs required.

Believe me, if I had my way, I would take a tent anytime! That's how we did it when I was a kid. But his Dad hates tents (everytime we did camp in a tent, it rained!) and, believe it or not, my 10 year old BOY absolutely hates bugs and he's afraid something will crawl over him when he's sleeping.

I'd even take a pop-up, but we have no truck & we have 2 dogs (1 a husky) we'd like to take with us on occassion. So, to comprimise, I thought an RV would be the way to go. I think the Toys out there are awesome &, I hate to use this word, but; cute!

What do you guys think of the 4 cylinders? If I hear all of you say your not too keen on 4 cylinders, I guess I'm going to have to be satisfied with an american winnebago or some other american made motored RV. And hope someday my finances will allow me to trade in my not so great american made motor for a redone Toy.

Derek up North, wanna fix this one for me? I'm in Pennsylvania and would be more than happy to bring you a new project. I'll even throw in a case of beer.... ;

I think the 4 cylinders are great! I've driven the same model 4 cylinders in Toyota cars and trucks since at least 1980. I have a 22r and a 22re now - both in Toyota motorhomes. The 3.0 V6 is one of Toyota's poorest engines (I have one of these too) and is a maintenance nightmare (requires too much preventive maintenance and is hard to work on). The very quantity of Toyota 4 cylinder motorhomes still in service after all these years is testament to their durability.

All that said are you sure you can't find a pop-up light enough to tow? That would be an inexpensive and simple way to get in some camping time without having to sleep on the ground. If not then how about a bigger tent and sleeping cots? Getting up off the ground goes a long way to staying dry and might be an easier transition to camping than sleeping on the ground.

If you do go with a Toyota motorhome understand that it's an old vehicle and expect that there will be regular repairs required.

Believe me, I've been fighting this camping/RVing fight with my boys (husband & son) for a couple of years now (whimps!). A small motorhome was the compromise. We own a '93 Toyota Corolla wagon & an '05 Honda Element. My husband does not even want to attempt to pull even a small pop-up w/ the Element. We considered buying a truck (Tundra or Tacoma) & a lightweight camper, but I just can't afford the monthly payments for both - even if I traded in the Element & we found a cheap trailer . Plus, he works an hour away & the gas mileage on a truck would kill us each week on gas. A Toy was my aim because it was affordable, reliable, plus no need to buy a truck & a trailer. Plus, if I had to sell it, I probably wouldn't lose much.

I guess I'll just keep looking. It seems like all the toys for sale - that are somewhat reasonable - are out on the west coast ( I know that's ridiculous. I said it SEEMS like it).

(Sigh). But, based on experience, if I wait patiently, the right one will show itself to me; like my Truck & Corolla did (both known elder customers - what luck!). I just didn't want to wait; A.) because when my OCD & Bi-polar kick in, I do nothing but obsess over something once I decide I want it wacko.gif & B.) he won't be 10 forever...

Thanks everyone for your input and help! I will keep searching & keep checking here to see what's up & for sale. I now need to go play the lottery...wink.gif

Believe me, I've been fighting this camping/RVing fight with my boys (husband & son) for a couple of years now (whimps!). A small motorhome was the compromise. We own a '93 Toyota Corolla wagon & an '05 Honda Element. My husband does not even want to attempt to pull even a small pop-up w/ the Element. We considered buying a truck (Tundra or Tacoma) & a lightweight camper, but I just can't afford the monthly payments for both - even if I traded in the Element & we found a cheap trailer . Plus, he works an hour away & the gas mileage on a truck would kill us each week on gas. A Toy was my aim because it was affordable, reliable, plus no need to buy a truck & a trailer. Plus, if I had to sell it, I probably wouldn't lose much.

I guess I'll just keep looking. It seems like all the toys for sale - that are somewhat reasonable - are out on the west coast ( I know that's ridiculous. I said it SEEMS like it).

(Sigh). But, based on experience, if I wait patiently, the right one will show itself to me; like my Truck & Corolla did (both known elder customers - what luck!). I just didn't want to wait; A.) because when my OCD & Bi-polar kick in, I do nothing but obsess over something once I decide I want it wacko.gif & B.) he won't be 10 forever...

Thanks everyone for your input and help! I will keep searching & keep checking here to see what's up & for sale. I now need to go play the lottery...wink.gif

There is now on E-bay a 1985 4-cylinder for auction maybe 50 miles from you, at Mohnton PA about 10 miles before Reading. This rig went on after 9:15pm Sunday May 23 and ends May 30. Also about the lottery-- I hope you are joking. The only way to win is not to play Edited by BobBeery

I love my 4 cylinder it has fuel injection and Overdrive and it climbs hills just fine I am not sure about a mountain but I am going to find out when I go to Arizona from what I understand keeping the tank topped with fuel really helps on a lot of them , I realize this is not always possible but when I think of 18 miles to the gallon versus 6 in some other MH I can handle it just fine.

If that is the extent of the damage to the WHOLE rig and you have the funds... snag it. Only if you have some basic tools and a machanical mindset. There are about 8 4" screws you need to deal with and about 40 1.5" screws. Buy some marine grade plywood and replace the bed area which is made up of styrofoam and hardwood... your rig will be 20lbs heavier, but much sturdier.

Someone said a couple weekends.... yep if you have basic tools... but if you have a propane torch (ace hardware) a phillips screwdriver, a sheet of plywood, a measuring tape, a skill saw and a brain it will take you 8 hours on a weekend.. enough time for church on Sunday!

Go for it!

Two dogs kids and a husband in a Toyota is going to be well, tight. Don’t get me wrong I love my Toy but any thing more then two people makes them seem very small very fast it’s Ok as long as no one moves. Think bad weather. We have a Great Dane and that and two people pretty well maxes it. Don’t want to discourage you but take every one with you when you go look at one and see how well they fit.