strength of roof????????Infield Nascar bound

kirkster7

I finally got a infield pass to Charlotte Motor speedway for Nascar, it's time to get rid of my Keystone travel trailer and get a motorhome, I have a toyota tacoma double cab 2007, and love the dependability of it, so when the thought of purchasing a rv come up my first impulse was toyota, after research I noticed the last year they made them was 94', and from reading and researching looks like they all have the 1 ton chasis 6 lug rear axle from about 89' on up, I live in Kentucky and it's about 6 hours away to charlotte, I have twins that are 5 and camp 2/3 times a year and use the camper/motorhome an additional 4/5 weekends a year at nascar races, my question is which model is structurally sound (ROOF wise) I will have to stand on my motorhome to watch the race from the infield, I've decided to for sure get a V6 model, my main concern is the roof. Which of all models made is structurally the best, keep in mind that I know that NO rv motorhomes are made in mind for people to stand on the roofs, but it happens every week in Nascar infields across the country. Are the winnebago warriors' the strongest in the fleet of toyota rv's Roof support wise? What about the fiberglass sunrader, seems that little baby is strong....just wondering. Any help is appreciated, figured I come here and talk to the pro's, Thanks hope to decide on what to buy in a few weeks..................... :help:

Which of all models made is structurally the best, keep in mind that I know that NO rv motorhomes are made in mind for people to stand on the roofs, but it happens every week in Nascar infields across the country. Are the winnebago warriors' the strongest in the fleet of toyota rv's Roof support wise? :help:

We have a 91 Warrior with aluminum roof. I weigh 220 and been up there a few times with no problems. Wouldn't want to jump up and down or take a large crowd. The closer you keep to the edges, the better. One other note is to wear shoes because that metal gets very hot in the sun.

I have no idea about other brands. There are a couple of people here who rave about Dolphins and bad mouth the Warriors, but we love ours and haven't had any real problems with it.

Foxy

My concern isnt for the roof, its for the potential hearing damage to the 5YO twins. Their ear mechanisms are tiny and very fragile, exposure to high noise can/will permanently cause a degree of hearing loss.

HUH? Tony

Seen to many collapsed roofs from just the A/C. So no one but no one is allowed on my roof

If you have some way to take some plywood with you and lay it on top past the edges it would help. If not I would not be up there, even then, two adults, two kids, chairs and a cooler full of refreshments, that thin little skin and 2x2 rafters will be crying. There might not be allot of room if the unit has a roof top A/C.

I would say the Odysseys have the strongest roofs. From the Odyssey advertisement:

"Along the line of Toyota RV’s, the Odyssey is considered to be the top of the line in luxury motorhomes due to the superior construction, quality and versatility. Don’t be fooled by appearances, not all Toyota motorhomes were created equal. The Odyssey’s have 6’3” of headroom and are 6” inches wider than other Toyota RV’s - and every inch counts when you want to travel in comfort. The Odyssey’s coach has a steel reinforced “2 Ton Torture Test Roof” and the roof and walls are double insulated with Styrofoam and Monsanto Fome-Cor."

With all that being said, I would take the other advise given on this thread and lay a piece of ply wood or something else to

protect the roof from damage and to spread out the weight. My roof rack for the canoe lays on the outter edges of the roof.

Dennis...