We are still searching for an FG180rd and would like to know what penalties you pay for having an automatic transmission versus a manual one as far as power and mileage are concerned. I think I heard that Toyota didn't use a lockup converter in the years of the Sunraders. Is this correct? I also don't know if the Sunraders had any automatic other than the overdrive version (thats all I have seen). Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Bill

Bill

I think its just a matter of driving preference. The lockup converters was used in the V6 rigs. I just saw a Sunrader 18footer with a V6 so they are out there if you can find one. My Sunrader 4x4 18 footer has an A340H auto transmission behind a 22rte (turbo charged) and it does have the lockup converter.

As a side note the rear axle ratio can be changed to lower gearing which will allow the use of overdrive.

Anyhow my preference is the automatic. Having driven sticks most of my life I feel the auto is much more comfortable to drive.

Greg

• 2 years later...

Just changed my 87 dolphin 22RE w/auto to a 5 speed manual I cant believe the difference Just driving it home I was doing 65 and wasn't working at all, my vacuum guage @45MPH was reading 6Lbs w/ auto now 10lbs that means economy, I might add The engine is rebuilt w/ new head, etc I'm happy I sure don't need a v-6 for power.

Just changed my 87 dolphin 22RE w/auto to a 5 speed manual I cant believe the difference

Did you have to lengthen the [front] Driveshaft by about 2" (because the Manual Gearbox is shorter than the Automatic)?? Did you get the Clutch Pedal, Linkage and Bracket from the Donor Vehicle? Did the Clutch Pedal Bracket simply bolt in? I am thinking about the same conversion for our '86 and would appreciate any Tips or things you learned.

Thanks,

Lew

I was lucky I bought it from a wrecking yard and they installed it. It turned out to be a lot more work than they thought. Had to use the donor flywheel, starter,speedo cable, clutch pedal, hydraulic stuff, and lengthened the drive shaft also bought new clutch disc. and throwout bearing. They also had to take off the automatic shifting controls. Now I can take off the 2 transmission coolers. Later will put the transmission up for sale and its a good one.

. Now I can take off the 2 transmission coolers.

Hook one up to the engine. I have a whopper oil cooler on the diesel (about 1/3 the size of the radiator).... You can get a spin on sandwich type filter adapter that has a 180° thermostat in it that will open up the cooler lines when the oil gets hot.

• 2 years later...

I am currently in the process of putting in a 5 speed manual in our 85 Sunrader (from an automatic 3 speed w/ OD). Regarding Lew's questions (at least for 84-88 MHs):

1. The driveshaft will have to be lengthed by 3" (auto trans 31.5" front to back, 5 speed manual 28.5")
  2. The pedals will bolt in, however 3 holes will have to be drilled in for the clutch master cylinder. Can use the original pedals for a as a guide from the inside out.
  3. At least 2 other small holes will have to be drilled to help support the clutch hydraulic line.
  4. There is a bracket that supports the other end of the clutch hydraulic line that will need to get bolted in (had to break welds off of donor vehicle bracket).
  5. The transmission I am installing is a W52. It appears to be common for mid 80's 2WD pickup trucks. My 85 pickup has one, the 84 donor pickup I got the pedals, clutch line, clips, etc. had one (per VIN), and the transmission I brought from Craigs list was from an 86.

Does anyone know if there is an RV/MH wreckers in the SF Bay Area that could carry Toyota MHs? Or know anyone parting a manual transmission 21-22' model? I would like to get the driveshaft from them, since it will cost about $200 to get my existing driveshaft lengthened.

Thanks,

AllenL

You are smiling if you can find a complete truck because you will have all the parts it sure saves going to the junk yard 27 times for that part you forgot to get. You will get a bit better mileage and a bit more power but give up driving ease. Parking can be a pain, with a stick inching foward and backwards will take a toll on the clutch as there is a whole lot more weight then they were designed to move. On the plus side it's cheaper to replace a clutch then a transmission. I really do not see any reason though you can't get 100,000+ miles out of an automatic with proper care and there is all ways resale it will be harder to sell a stick shift most people want automatics.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my stick shift!

Selling my Toy isn't an option. :)

Tudy

84 Dolphin (Cricket)

• 1 month later...

I finished installing the 5 speed manual transmission in our 85 Sunrader. Let me say, it is such a joy now to drive! What "mycomitan" is saying is true regarding the engine is hardly working. Previously I could drive 65-70mph on the flats, but my foot would basically be very close to the floor and it would typically continuously shift between 3rd and 4th! It is so easy to go 70mph now in 5thon the flats and slight inclines with plenty of pedal left! Acceleration is also so much better now, and I do not have to rev the engine as high now (and can keep it in its power band) especially during mountain/hilly driving! On its maiden trip to the Pinnacles NM, I averaged 15 mpg! I typically average 12 mpg on trips (a 25% increase)!

Below are some additional things I learned during the conversion (at least for 84-88 MHs):

1. The short rear automatic transmission crossmember bracket will have to be replaced with a longer manual transmission bracket. During my trips to the wrecking yard, it appears that there are at least 3 different length brackets.
  2. The speedometer cable will also have to be replaced with one for a manual transmission.
  3. If you have a floor shift automatic, the hole in the floor will have to be relocated slightly (lower and slightly to the right) and made larger. I modified our automatic floor console to by cutting out the center section.
  4. I had to change the speedometer gear in the transmission from 18 teeth to 19teeth to get the speedometer accurate. Note: I am running 195R14 rear tires (previously needed slightly larger rear tires to get the speedometer closer).

Regards,

AllenL

AllenL, do you happen to have any way for us to identify the 'correct' cross member? Is there a key dimension to look for? Is the 5 speed one shorter or longer than your original?

Another side benefit to doing the 5 speed conversion is that you can install the SR5 instrument cluster and not have to figure out how to overcome the automatic shift indicator problem.

I don't think I was aware that any Toyota motorhomes (automatic) had floor shifters. Of course, at my age, you worry less about learning something new every day and more about remembering what you learned yesterday!

P.S. Sounds like the 5-speed really wakes up the performance. Now if I could only find a nice description of what's involved in doing the same thing to a V6.

Plus with maybe a Lexus V8!

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/message/77440?threaded=1&l=1

Hi Derek,

I will not be able to get a picture showing the difference, nor a measurement, until this weekend. However, make sure you get the crossmember bracket from a long bed pickup (i.e. 2 piece driveshaft, the center is supported like our MHs) with a 5 speed manual transmission (not sure if the 4 speed transmission is the same length). The bracket from the original automatic was cast iron and very short. Assuming the transmission mount and tail shaft dimensions are the same between the automatic and the 5 speed manual transmission, then the difference is 3" (since I had to lengthen my driveshaft by 3").

For reference, attached is a picture showing the crossmember bracket (far left, bolts to crossmember and a bolt head can be seen (1 of 4)) and the bottom of the transmission I previously took. I hope this helps.

Regards,

AllenL

post-2114-12820284863537_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the answer. No rush for the info. In fact it's not even for me. When I see people write about these interesting projects I always try and encourage the 'doers' with the hands-on experience to include as many details as possible to help future 'wannabe-doers'. If I wanted to do the conversion, I'd have to buy a 4 cylinder MH first.

Now if you have any details about putting a 5-speed behind a V6, ...

Or a Lexus V8?