Thanks for the responses, with a computer involved I would be hesitant to start doing home brew speedometer swaps!  The way I am reading this the speedometer alters the VSS signal and sends it to the computer, not my kind of playground. 

Just remember that speed sensor you put in fits a lot of vehicles. Any vehicle that takes it will have the corresponding parts in the dash. You don't need the entire dash to fit just the speedometer section. Fits 4 cylinder 4 runners and Tacoma's. Got to be some of these in a junk yard near you. Here are the years and models

Linda S

Make Model Year
  • Trim
  • Engine
Important vehicle option details

Toyota

4Runner

1991-2001

• DLX, SR5, SR5B, STD

• 4 Cyl 2.4L, 4 Cyl 2.7L, 6 Cyl 3.0L

22RE, 3RZFE, 3VZE; RN121, RN80, RN85, RN90, RZN180, VZN120, VZN85, VZN90, VZN95

Toyota

Pickup

1991-1995

• DLX, SR5, STD

• 4 Cyl 2.4L, 6 Cyl 3.0L

22RE, 3VZE; RN121, RN80, RN85, RN90, VZN120, VZN85, VZN90, VZN95

Toyota

Sequoia

2001-2007

• Limited, SR5

• 8 Cyl 4.7L

2UZFE; UCK35

Toyota

Tacoma

1997-2001

• DLX

• 6 Cyl 3.4L

5VZFE; VZN150

Toyota

Tundra

2000-2004

• DLX, Limited, SR5

• 6 Cyl 3.4L, 8 Cyl 4.7L

2UZFE, 5VZFE; GSK30, UCK30, UCK31, UCK40

3 minutes ago, linda s said:

Just remember that speed sensor you put in fits a lot of vehicles. Any vehicle that takes it will have the corresponding parts in the dash. You don't need the entire dash to fit just the speedometer section. Fits 4 cylinder 4 runners and Tacoma's. Got to be some of these in a junk yard near you. Here are the years and models

Linda S

Make Model Year
  • Trim
  • Engine
Important vehicle option details

Toyota

4Runner

1991-2001

• DLX, SR5, SR5B, STD

• 4 Cyl 2.4L, 4 Cyl 2.7L, 6 Cyl 3.0L

22RE, 3RZFE, 3VZE; RN121, RN80, RN85, RN90, RZN180, VZN120, VZN85, VZN90, VZN95

Toyota

Pickup

1991-1995

• DLX, SR5, STD

• 4 Cyl 2.4L, 6 Cyl 3.0L

22RE, 3VZE; RN121, RN80, RN85, RN90, VZN120, VZN85, VZN90, VZN95

Toyota

Sequoia

2001-2007

• Limited, SR5

• 8 Cyl 4.7L

2UZFE; UCK35

Toyota

Tacoma

1997-2001

• DLX

• 6 Cyl 3.4L

5VZFE; VZN150

Toyota

Tundra

2000-2004

• DLX, Limited, SR5

• 6 Cyl 3.4L, 8 Cyl 4.7L

2UZFE, 5VZFE; GSK30, UCK30, UCK31, UCK40

I checked the local pick and pulls, they did not have anything.  I will take this list and try again.  

some of them might have larger speedometer sections. Measure yours. The 4 runner and truck will of course fit and probably the Tacoma. Sequoia and Tundra maybe not but early Tundra's are the huge monsters they are today. Maybe always worth a look

Linda S

I weighted my options here and could not bring myself to buy a used speedometer on line,   if I could have sourced one locally I would have done it. 

I opted to get mine repaired, the tech said that due to age that 2 of the capacitors had leaked and damaged the traces and some of the solder joints.  The bill for the parts and labor was $150 with a 1 year guarantee.  

He also mentioned that if speedometer is acting up it is best to have it repaired quickly before extensive damage is done.

IMG_0001.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, mine have exactly the same issue as yours and I was wondering how is your "repaired" meter worked out for you?  My local shop wants $275 to send it out overnight to Seattle and replace the whole circuit board.  I kinda want to find a used one to match it but haven't  done much yet.  Also, my symptom is everything works except the mileage counter doesn't roll up at all, so I am stuck at 124,005 miles since last year.  Can your tech help, if I send mine to his shop?  May I have his number to contact him?  Thank a lot!

also, if I do find an used one, and most likely with tachometer included maybe out of a 4Runner or t100, would all the connectors work and I don't have to modify it?  Is it just plug and play?  How do I roll the mileage to where I am now?  I might have to start a new thread.  Haha!

Edited by wilsonkuo
Add a photo

Only put a few miles on, meter is working fine and has 1 year guarantee. I could not find a used one locally and did not want to get involved with a meter that may or may not work and shipping it back and forth.  These wrecking company's don't know what works or not.

If you can pull the meter yourself, you can save a few dollars, not that hard of a job and lots of You Tube videos.

Google speedometer repair for your area, there is likely someone in your area.   If not I will find the # for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyb_7se1FLc

aaa.PNG

Edited by jjrbus

Thanks for the reply!  I went to the speedo shop on top of the map this morning which is closer to me and that was what I got quoted on the first write up.  This shop only deal with older 70's speedo repairs and the shop owner confirmed me that my speedo in fact is suffered with electrical broad damages just like yours.  This shop told me they can only send it out to Seattle for repair.  Not a big help to me and costs too much!

5 hours ago, wilsonkuo said:

Thanks for the reply!  I went to the speedo shop on top of the map this morning which is closer to me and that was what I got quoted on the first write up.  This shop only deal with older 70's speedo repairs and the shop owner confirmed me that my speedo in fact is suffered with electrical broad damages just like yours.  This shop told me they can only send it out to Seattle for repair.  Not a big help to me and costs too much!

Up  a couple posts above you can buy a new speedometer for $232.    Here is the Fl number  (239) 334-8812.   In your situation I would wait for a used one to show up locally, mine was also affecting the cruise control and if it got worse could affect the transmission shifting.  Good luck. 

Thank you guys and I will go to the local pick and pull first and get back to you.  Btw, the only issue with mine was just mileage roller doesn't work and everything else works.  Thanks a punch!!

Also, even if I find an used one that would work but the mileage would not match.  Can I roll it back by myself?  Or I need to bring it to a speedo shop and pay the guy $65 for the roll back, according to the shop owner.  Thanks 

At this point, I am also seeking for an upgrade like you guys mentioned to put in a 4Runner or t100 cluster.  Mine is electric no cable and I looked up the t100s might not work.  By the way, I like to take things apart and work on them even an upgrade is advantageous!

41 minutes ago, wilsonkuo said:

Also, even if I find an used one that would work but the mileage would not match.  Can I roll it back by myself?  Or I need to bring it to a speedo shop and pay the guy $65 for the roll back, according to the shop owner.  Thanks 

I think there may be some videos on rolling speedometer back?

I was not interested in a swap, but looking for more options for a used speedometer.  A brief look around the net only showed swaps with cable driven meters.  I am not saying there are no VSS driven swaps, I did not spend a lot of time looking.