Newbie question here. The house has gone dark (on 12v only). The interior lights and fans etc. all work with the engine running/alternator power or with shore power AC. I have since replaced the circuit breakers coming off the house battery and checked for voltage at the fuse panel. Does the (+) primary 12v supply (black wire below) run straight from the CB off the battery to the fuse panel? I checked for continuity on that wire by detaching the black wire below and attaching an ohmmeter to it and then attaching the other ohmmeter lead to the primary off the battery - nothing!  Does the supply to the fuse panel go first to the isolator? Thanks for any/all help

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

First you need to check the coach battery voltage. If that is good then make sure the coach battery's ground connection is good, with out a good ground the battery can't do any thing even if it's charged but coming from the converter or alt the ground is at the panel so it will work. There should be 12 volts DC between the two large wires on the load center. 

Thanks Linda for responding!  I swapped out the battery and it is fully charged. . Some of the web surfing I've been doing suggests that the old Magnatek 6300 distribution panels have chronic problems with an onboard relay which switches from AC to DC. I don't know for sure if it IS a converter problem, Before thinking about replacing the converter, etc, I was trying to be sure I wasn't missing something simple, like a fuse or relay between the house battery and the distribution panel:wacko:

After hours chasing the positives off the battery, followed Mainah's suggestion to chase the grounds - nailed it!

Thanks to Both!

• 3 weeks later...

I see a CB switched "off" in your pic.            I suspect your power setup is same as mine.   When AC is available, the house battery is removed from circuit - it should then be getting charged.  When AC is not available, an isolater switch is supposed to close so the battery provides 12v dc power.     

I would check the voltage on the house battery with AC present. If the battery is not around 12-14 volts, then the DC charger is not working. This is the same charger that should be powering all 12vdc items in cabin.   You mentioned fans and lights working with engine running too - ditto on higher voltage.  

I am guessing that the battery is not wired properly?   Mine has a CB that isolates the battery too - it is in the battery compartment.  If that is tripped or otherwise screwed up then you could get the symptoms as described.  attached are pictures of old and new.  In my battery compartment there is a little bracket to hold the CB

2011-05-25-NAPA-circuitbreakers-receipt.pdf

P1090071.JPG

P1090073.JPG

Edited by DanAatTheCape