GPS Unit

Shoprat

So many choices I would say pretty much what ever you recognize Garmin, Magellan so on would be fine. It’s a matter of choice what you want it to do some come loaded with maps some allow you to add maps some don’t. Screen size etc. I would suggest going to the store and look at them and decide what’s best for you in your price range. I use a Garmin along with my laptop it is a hand held and I put it in the front vent hatch it fits in there pretty snug. Any GPS needs to see the sky and the over hang is an issue so maybe one with an external antenna (not all of them have that option) would be in order for you again you can put it under the vent the plastic has little effect on the reception so drilling holes won’t be necessary. I really don’t think one is much better then another they all seem to be 12 channel so it‘s the bells and whistles and how much you need it to do.

I just recently bought a Magellan Roadmate 1200 and find it very useful, I can find Wal-Marts, gas stations, eating places, points of interest etc. I paid $149 + tax, about $162 total,on sale at Staples, about $100 off. It comes with a pre programmed card that has something like a million and a half of data points. There are more expensive models that have several million pre programmed points of interest.

John A

I have a Tom Tom Go model 300 that I have used for both business and pleasure for about 2 years. Have had no problems at all with it and it is really heplful to find restaurants, motels, coffee shops, shopping centers, auto parts shops etc. It will also show your speed (check speedo by satellite!), and estimated arrival time. Mine was pricey at the time, ($300+) but they are much less now. It is especially helpful at the end of a long haul when we are tired and want to eat and freshen up, but thinking not so clearly. We use a suction cup mount and take it from vehicle to vehicle. Be forwarned however, it takes a bit of time to learn to relate to these little talking boxes and you can end up taking a circuitous route every once in a while. With the Tom Tom, no extra antennae, just plug it in and go.

ToyoGuy Paul

Garmin C340, WalMart.com saved me a few bucks in diffence than in store purchase. Set for best or shortest. Setting it for shortest can be very scenic as in East St. Louis. I usually set best route and no toll roads.

Great unit for the money, easy to use and updatable if you want current traffic info. Current traffic is a fee feature. Heck if I was in a hurry I would have bought a Vette instead of an Itasca.