What is this on my roof?

deannak

Sorry for the stupid question, but can anybody tell me what this thing is on my roof?  (Note, the black spot is not a hole, but a spot of black paint - there aren't any holes in it aside from the screw holes.)

Underneath all the silicone, I discovered that the plastic is cracked in places around the bottom, and the screws are badly rusted.  I'd like to either remove this or replace it, but I'm not sure which.  Do I need it?

When I undid all the screws, it is still attached near one end from underneath, so I can pivot it around, but it doesn't come off.  I don't see any attachment point inside the camper, so it must be above the ceiling.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!   -  Deanna.

roof-item.jpg

The same thing on my SLE. It was an antenna for something? Had a spring inside it. The outside housing was broken and had started to leak and damaged the inside ceiling. I took it off.  I purchased a piece of aluminum large enough to go from one ceiling brace to the other ( the SLE has aluminum framework instead of wood) .I put Butyl Rubber strips around the underside outer edge and fastened it down snug with self drilling sheet metal screws.  Then Put PROFLEX RV sealant (you can dip your finger in mineral spirits and rub the sealant and it smooth's  out really well)  all around the outside edge and over the screws ( could have used stainless steel so it wouldn't rust but didn't). No leaking since I fixed it. Below is an attachment the way it looked when I got the SLE.;  next picture is what come out of it. I took it loose from the inside then pulled it out through the top before patching it. I had a stroke since I did the remodel and 6 heart bypasses , and sorry, but can't remember all the procedure taking it out. The ceiling in front and side of the refrigerator had become water damaged and done a little damage but not much before I fixed it. I wish you well in all the endeavors you partake in  fixing your toyhome .  If I can be of any further assistance with your SLE, I would be happy to help. Sunrader Bob  sure helped me  by long distance phone and others on this site as well answering my questions.  

HOMER

DSC04514.JPG

DSC03689.JPG

Edited by Homer

Hi Homer  -

Thanks for the info!  I wonder what the antenna was for?  Definitely nothing that's in there now!

So, it looks like it's safe to just get rid of this, and I will follow your example on that. The fewer holes in the roof, the better! :)

Thanks again,  -  Deanna.

Deanna:
Today I took pictures of my roof patch and vents and the sewer vent.  The repair was done 6 years ago after taking  the antenna piece out. The patch was aluminum plate  20" x 8 1/2" by 3/6" or 1/4" thick. You can feel where the roof beams are or measured through the hole to the beams.  I centered the patch then put pencil marks where it goes.  I drilled through the patch into the crosspieces with self starter screws and then took it off Then placed the butyl rubber around the antenna hole and along the underside of the patch. on the 2 end ones and also the middle one. Then reattached the plate. I put the PRO FLEX RV on there and smoothed it out with my finger. After about a month I rolled DICOR ELASTOMERIC roof coating over the roof. If I knew then what  I know now....( it started cracking and peeling)  I wouldn't have painted it at all. There was no pin holes in the aluminum roof . The dark lines across the roof are electrical line shadows. Looks as if I need to retouch some of the caulk where it is cracked. It's only surface cracks not very deep. Just put a small amount in the cracks and rub it in.
41LcAL8+RkL._AC_SY0_.jpg

Homer

DSC00922.JPG

DSC00923.JPG

DSC00924.JPG

DSC00925.JPG

DSC00926.JPG

DSC00927.JPG

DSC00928.JPG

Edited by Homer
need to add few words on directios

Thanks for the pix!  Looks like you did a really good job on it.

I've been thinking of painting my roof with elastomeric after I get done with everything else.  After seeing your pix, I may have to rethink that.  Doesn't look like it held up very well! :(

Thanks!

"WONDER WHAT THE ANTENNA WAS FOR ?" COULD IT HAVE BEEN FOR TV RECEPTION ?? MY 91 WARRIOR HAD A CRANK UP TV ANTENNA THAT I ELIMINATED WHEN I HAD A TOTALLY NEW ROOF INSTALLED THIS SUMMER.I AM NOT A TV PERSON, THEREFORE WAS NO BIG DEAL TO LOSE THIS OPTION , ALSO ELIMINATES ANOTHER POSSIBLE LEAKAGE POINT IN THE ROOF.  JOE FROM DOVER.

Perhaps TV, I don't know.  It's not like the normal TV antennas I've seen elsewhere, but I do know that at least one of the previous owners had TV in it.  There's also a satellite dish that's not connected to anything anymore.  I'm not a TV person either, so I'm happier to just seal up the roof!

Homer does Exceptional work! Not sure what brand of roof paint Homer used but I purchased a product called Snow Seal made by Sherman Williams. And applied it this Summer. Best paint I could find with a 12 year warranty! Used it over the bare metal roof and what a difference it made.  Extremely white and reflective. Lowers the inside temp of Grannie significantly when in the sun! The paint goes on blue and turns white when dried.Very easy to use. I used Flex seal and eternabond tape also and recommend it. I have that same thing on my roof deannak! Next Spring I will connect my tv to my cable outlet and see if this "antenna" works. Best, Mark

There are antennas made specifically for Wi-Fi..  I don't know what they look like but maybe somebody else does.  Could that be what this is?

No way Man! Don't think Wi-Fi was available in 1986. At least not In my area yet LOL!

• 4 weeks later...

If it was Wifi, I'd be wishing I hadn't taken mine off!  ;)

I may look into that Snow Seal paint - 12 year warranty sounds nice!  My metal roof flexes quite a lot, so I'm wondering how it will hold up to all that movement.  Of course, once I'm finished working on it, the roof won't see so much action!

Hi deannak, yes my aluminum roof flexed with every step! And you step on it a lot when prepping and painting. Very nerve racking. Linda suggested putting down a sheet of plywood to distribute your weigh. It is a very involved process to redo your roof & I wish you Good Luck! You'll like that Snow Seal.