Thinkin' about rust proofing and undercoating my 85 Granville. Not sure if this is advisable or not. I have some rust underneath and this would prevent further damage but it would coat everything under the chassis including electrical grounds, cables, tanks and such I think. Would this hinder future repairs? An alternative would be to use PUR and do it myself. Has anyone undercoated their rigs and regretted it later? Thoughts??

Yea....my brain??? Knew it started with a P too lazy to go to garage and look @ the can!

What you have now is nothing, so anything is an improvement. Get the cheap stuff and redo it every 3/4 years.

POR is good stuff, but needs to be applied correctly to have a proper lifespan. Do it wrong and its 2 year stuff.

Ive been experimenting with POR for a few years now and agree 100% with WME. However, in my experience the only bad lifespan i have had with it was when i tried putting it on new metal.

I even used their metal prep to acid score the new metal; but the stuff just flaked off anyway it wouldn't stick. everything i have used it on that had rust on it already held tight major awesome and the stuff really needs rust in order to adhere and bond properly.

So, if your undercarriage has paint or exposed bare nice metal i wouldnt use POR. but if you have rust heck ya its PAINT OVER RUST 15 time!

Thanks fellows! So whatever I decide I guess its OK to undercoat?? I'm talking where they spray everything so getting access to stuff for future repairs isn't an issue??

Thanks again! So putting some financial love in Grannie today and also had her rustproofed. Found a local shop using a new Green product that neutralizes the rust and no drips or smell. Quite impressive. It's clear! Took a lot to do the big chassis but Man I'm happy! Coats, lubricates and rustproofs....Good to go!!

It called Corrosion Free. Developed up by you Derek in Canada. www.corrosionfree.com Check it out very cool!!

2 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Developed up by you Derek in Canada.

Wow, I'm getting credit/blame for lots of things I didn't do. Must be because I use Facebook! :)

I can't say I've ever heard of them. And I didn't notice any mention on their site of a Canadian  connection. Looked up their Dealers near me. Only available at some Canadian Tire branches.

Yes, I believe this is a dealer/franchise thing. When they did mine he said it was developed in Nova Scotia to protect against salt, etc. It's new here and supposedly environmentally friendly blah, blah but I really like it. Its clear and odor free. Grannie likes it also!

I thought water causes rust don't think this stuff does lol!

Ya think so Totem hope not but if so surely did sail over my head. Don't think Derek is that mean is he? I'm just trying to be helpful for others as I've received so much help from this group Man!!

I wash / scrape loose rust, then spray rusty metal primer, then gloss enamel. Rustoleum is ok, but anything that inhibits rust is good. Rustoleum has a new product that is clear rust protection/converter, seems to work pretty good so far.

But one thing I DONT RECOMMEND is spraying undercoating or rubberized shit under there without first cleaning and using rusty metal primer. It will trap the rust and moisture and make things worse.