Been trying to figure out a way of replacing the front 5 lug for a 6 lug so that I can ditch spare tire #2. The only two options I have come across are the adaptor and the 1 ton front wheel hub.

I have heard of people successfully using the adapter so I imagine it is possible, but I have some concerns with this option: the adapter will change the physics of the wheel assembly, and I am wondering if it will be putting extra stress on some of the components, like the bearings. I am also concerned that the wrong size adapter will prevent the wheel from seating properly, as the wheel/tire may touch some of the brake or suspension components.

Converting to a stock toyota 1 ton front hub, that is on some of the mid/late 80's trucks, seems like a better, yet more involved, solution. I am wondering what is involved in this project. Can I simply swap the hub? or do other things need to be swapped to? calipers? axle? etc. Let's say the stock 1 ton hub conversion can be done; will the 6 lug dually wheel/tire seat properly or will the wheel/tire touch some of the components behind it?

• 4 weeks later...
Been trying to figure out a way of replacing the front 5 lug for a 6 lug so that I can ditch spare tire #2. The only two options I have come across are the adapter and the 1 ton front wheel hub.

I have heard of people successfully using the adapter so I imagine it is possible, but I have some concerns with this option: the adapter will change the physics of the wheel assembly, and I am wondering if it will be putting extra stress on some of the components, like the bearings. I am also concerned that the wrong size adapter will prevent the wheel from seating properly, as the wheel/tire may touch some of the brake or suspension components.

Converting to a stock Toyota 1 ton front hub, that is on some of the mid/late 80's trucks, seems like a better, yet more involved, solution. I am wondering what is involved in this project. Can I simply swap the hub? or do other things need to be swapped to? calipers? axle? etc. Let's say the stock 1 ton hub conversion can be done; will the 6 lug dually wheel/tire seat properly or will the wheel/tire touch some of the components behind it?

When Toyota first came out with the 1 ton truck they were equipped with factory 5 to 6 lug adapters for the stock 5 lug front rotors. Toyota no longer supplies this part so the only source is salvage yards BUT they were only available for about 14 months in late 85 early 86 and finding them is like searching for gold in a stream bed.

They are made out of cast aluminum and this is what they look like

http://www.toymike.com/diesel/pics/front5to6adapter2.jpg

What normally would be a bad idea, works for the Toyota because you are also changing the rim. And all the offset in the adapter is offset by the offset in the rim.

To many offsets in the last sentance but you get the idea I hope. :rolleyes:

We too have 6Bolt rear and 5Bolt front wheels on Ms Dolphin....I solved the spare tire problem by putting the Spare out for the Garbage Men. We carry no spare and haven't in 14Yrs and 170,000Mi of Toy MH use. I do carry a spare In-Tank Fuel Pump though. Go figure. Each to his own, Eh?

Lew

SKP #100106

Hotel Dolphin-400 nights and 50,000Mi in 4Yrs

http://traveldolphin.blogspot.com/

'86 21Ft RB Dolphin, 22RE, A43D, One Ton Rear Axle

5960LB rolling on P195/70R14 Load Range "B" tires

Kyocera 125W Solar, Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller

Lifeline Grp27 AGM

Atwood 7916II, Dometic 2410, Insinkerator 2.5Gal 1500W WtrHtr

Rear mount 8KBtu 10.8EER Frigidaire A/C

Permanent Macerator Sewage Pump (no Stinky Slinky for us!)

Rostra Servo-Motor Actuated Cruise Control

Sprint Sierra Aircard 595 in an IBM ThinkPad R52

Cyfre Dual-Band Cellphone/Aircard Amplifier

This might be a good time to ask questions. I have a 87 Nova Star (New Horizon) it has 6 bolt wheels all around. It does not have an adaptor its rotors are bolted to the 6 bolt hub. There are some other strange things about this rig the rear springs are 9 leaf and it sits up in the rear high enough that I have to drive up on blocks to level it on level ground. Mind you I certainly am not complaining it just seems to be so much heaver that most of the other ones I have seen. Is this thing unusual? I have seen others with air bags and helper springs and I certainly don’t need them. It’s all fiberglasses over an aluminum frame when I go looking for info about this guy it does not seem to exist.

This might be a good time to ask questions. I have a 87 Nova Star (New Horizon) it has 6 bolt wheels all around. It does not have an adaptor its rotors are bolted to the 6 bolt hub. There are some other strange things about this rig the rear springs are 9 leaf and it sits up in the rear high enough that I have to drive up on blocks to level it on level ground. Mind you I certainly am not complaining it just seems to be so much heaver that most of the other ones I have seen. Is this thing unusual? I have seen others with air bags and helper springs and I certainly don't need them. It's all fiberglasses over an aluminum frame when I go looking for info about this guy it does not seem to exist.

Some time in 86/87 Toyota changed over to a cast iron adapter for the front rotors and changed the front brakes on the 1 ton model. If you look at yours you will see that you have an adapter which is bolted to the rotor with 6 bolts similar to my 1991.

http://www.toymike.com/sunrader/pics/frontRimAdaptor1.jpg

http://www.toymike.com/sunrader/pics/frontRimAdaptor2.jpg

It is not unusual for these Toyota motor homes to have heavy rear springs. My diesel has a 9 leaf rear spring system (7 ride springs and 2 load springs) and it is a 17' model.

http://www.toymike.com/diesel/pics/rearSprings.jpg

You will find that there are many different variations on how they were built over the years.

You can compensate for the lower front by replacing your 21mm torsion bars with 24mm ones and cranking some lift on the front suspension. Be careful putting too much lift on the front as you can easily overwhelm the shocks.

Thanks good deal on the bigger bars I think I’ll leave it alone it rides fine just seemed strange it sits so high in the rear. The hubs are the types you are talking about, the bearings are in the hub and the rotor is bolted to the hub. It sure looks factory to me does not seem like an after thought. When I bought it, it had a pretty good brake shake so I turned the rotors and did not think any thing about it until the adapter question came up just thought all the 6 bolt trucks had them.