New Bathroom smell exposed

Totem

I remember some time back some folks reporting smells and stinks from bathrooms outside of their mates business in the morning.

Usually it was reported while driving.

While I know that its usually from the roof vent not being closed all the way and the back pressure wafting stink up front as the front windows are creating a whirlwind..I discovered another severe cause of stink.. and this one is in most peoples everyday homes as well.

This year I shocked my tanks as always and flushed them and noticed immediately that the H water (hot side) of the faucets had extreme sulfur smell and black stuff in the water. I chalked this up to old water left in it and worked to flush it and in doing so dumped that acrid stuff into both tanks without thinking what it was. Its the dang sacrificial anode to the hot water tank...and believe me when that zinc rod wears out it puts a coating of stink on everything. Now I am with an issue... that stank is in my tanks... both grey and black and its not suppressible by any usual tech, ive tried bleach, blue bathroom grenades, even garbage disposal foaming drank grenades... nada. Any chemistry people in here with advice on getting that black sulfer stink out?

Also where would that thing be located in the stock water heater of the 1986 sunrader, are they hard to remove? I know i removed them from my hot water tanks in homes and it was always easy.

Edited by Totem

I did a quick search as I am no expert at this.  Found this article.  Some good info.  I solved my issue by replacing the toilet.  I could have probably gotten the same results just replacing the seals but the wife was insistent on getting a new toilet and for the money, it saved me from working on a old toilet.  My general thinking is that if the seal around the toilet is good and the toilet has the customary water covering the bowl flap, you shouldn't be having a issue.  What about the vent pipes?  Sewer gases should be going out them at least they do with the grey water in mine.  Not sure if the black water tank is vented as I've not really looked at it that closely.  Others might know and I am only speculating (lots of help I know).

Readers Digest condensed version: The article says hydrogen peroxide rather than bleach but says both are equally effective.  A bunch of other useful info though

hmm, the stacks work great when parked there is no odor unles we run water from the hot side.

I actually really have 3 issues

1.) hot water tank still has sacrificial anode stuck in it and its gone full rot

2.) now the black and grey tanks coated from the zinc sulfur dioxide

3.) stacks not venting correctly under travel

I think my toilet and seals are fine.. perhaps i need to finally put on of those stack vanes. I think WME posted a link to them once; they replace the stock stack vent cap with one that has a 360 degree rotating vane that helps use the wind from the RV's motion to vent stank.

Edited by Totem

In theory, the waste water system should be water sealed on the inside of the RV just like at home.  Where is the entry point to the smell while traveling?  Well that is the theory of it anyway.  I know sometimes we go out on short fishing trips where we do not have dumping facilities.  After coming home, a few days in the hot sun gets things a little ripe.  Typically a bit of tank deodorizer makes for a temporary fix (mask really) till I can get it to a dumping station.

I'm no chemist but why not play one on the web.

1 hour ago, Totem said:

1.) hot water tank still has sacrificial anode stuck in it and its gone full rot

that one is easy and not so easy.  Easy, it is replaceable.   Not so easy, it is stuck.   Application of heat has worked for me in the past with water fittings rotted in place.  I have a heat gun that goes to 800 degrees I would use if it was mine vs flame.

1 hour ago, Totem said:

now the black and grey tanks coated from the zinc sulfur dioxide

Both Hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide can be oxidized but what I am reading regarding the smell is it's a reaction to ions in the water source.  Both bleach and peroxide are oxidizing agents and will oxidize it back to its elemental state, sulfur. Then you are right back at square one if it is reacting to the water.  Still treating and flushing seem to be the only solution.  Also where would the sulfur be coming from in the black water tank?  Isn't it only connected to the cold water?

1 hour ago, Totem said:

stacks not venting correctly under travel

Vent pipes are only open to the outside and if they are sealed and nothing broken, where is the smell coming in from?  Yes, you toilet, I'm looking at you.  If the sulfur is reacting to the water, I'd poke my nose around the other drains too.

My 2 cents.  Now someone who really knows what they are talking about chime in and point out just how big a chemistry moron I am.

Edited by Back East Don

I cant speak for the other models, but my sunrader's bathroom sink, shower drain and toilet all go to the black tank.

as to the reason the back-pressure of driving creates stink we have found that answer already in here in another thread...

basically the air whizzing past the stack pushes down the stack into the tank while in motion... this then bubbles up through the J traps and comes out of the drains; not the toilet. We have found if we put in the stop in the drains in the sinks there is usually no smell whatsoever while driving.  The shower drain requires a rubber round drain pad cover of course.

When I get home tonight from work i'm fixing to tear into the hot water heater and try heat and impact wrench on it to get that thing out.

Also hoping to fire up the generator as it should be over 90's today and take a video for the generator challenge....

Edited by Totem

5 minutes ago, Totem said:

I cant speak for the other models

Yup, mine is different as the only thing connected to the black water tank is the toilet.  The other drains were also what I was thinking if not the toilet but hadn't thought about it being connected to the black water tank.  Interesting about the vents. See, participate and learn something.  I drive mostly in good weather with the windows open (no AC) which I imagine creates positive pressure that likely counter acts what you are experiencing.   I think the chemistry part with the tanks might be close.  Peroxide was an interesting discovery.  What is your water chemistry like?  I am a long way removed from high school chemistry and only occasionally deal with the topic.  Mostly in dealing with MSDS with stuff like materials and solvents. 

my water at home is alkaline (rare) and eats the crap out of stuff and does strange things.

the weird venting issue while under way is usually only experienced if all windows are closed except for the drivers window while also using the drivers flip vent triangle window in the open position.  i had my daughter take one of her party balloons and let go of it in the bathroom and it flew right up to the cab and hit me in the face; so we know that's the path also of the bathroom odors.

My anode rod in my 86 Sunrader is in the back of the unit. In my rear dinette model I would have to remove either the bench seat or the water heater to replace it. Too much trouble so I just don't use it. For the smell try Arm and Hammer washing soda. We use it at work to get rid of strong chemical smells and it's the only thing that really works well. Also I read that gasses dissolve better in cold water so try dumping some ice in there too and drive around to mix everything up well. Hope it works for you

Linda S

I took Lindas advice and checked the back, sure enough there was the anode.

Alas I cannot get it to back out. i hit it with heat too, its corroded on there. So next I tried the chemistry experiment from Back East Don. I got two large CVS hydrogen peroxide bottles and poured them in my fresh tank then cycled hot water until the tank started to go empty air bubbles... I ran hot water propane heater for 45 mins then shut it down and let it set all night... Wow... it ate what was left of the anode and in flushing the next day clogged my sink screens... so I popped those out and blew out the rest of the anode. it runs clear now and the smell is 90% gone. Maybe even 95%. hopefully this lasts... now if i could only find a way to back out that anode....