Running lights are all dead

alfin

All my running lights are suddenly dead. The clearance lights on the body front and back, the tail lights and the front parking lights. I cant find any blown fuses. Is there a relay somewhere for all these lights? They normally turn on from the light stalk on the steering column.

Not familiar with your vehicle.  However I had a bad fuse once that looked and tested good!  The fuse had a minute crack in it, when removed, looked good and would test good with continuity tester. As soon as current was applied the crack would open and current would stop flowing.  Then there is the possibility that the fuse holder is loose, I have that issue also, mine was caused by an add a contact jammed in.   What I did was crimp/deform the leg of the spade fuse so it would fit tight in the holder.  

There are many Gremlins waiting to devour the innocent in a 30 year old vehicle.         Jim

If you lost the truck parking lights the problem fuse is in the truck. Where the problem is that blew the fuse is going to be a good guess. Old glass fuses do some times die of old age sitting horizontally over the years they stretch and that reduces the capacity hopefully that's your problem but the fuse will be in the truck if the truck lights don't work, Toyota did a good job of hiding fuses all over the truck some under the hood some in the kick panel it can be a real contest.

• 3 weeks later...

another problem area...some of the clearance lights splice in the base of the light...these can go bad...my complete string of lights went out...the natural assumption was to check at the source...but the problem was at the first light in line ,leaving the whole string dead

On 7/7/2016 at 1:12 PM, alfin said:

All my running lights are suddenly dead. The clearance lights on the body front and back, the tail lights and the front parking lights. I cant find any blown fuses. Is there a relay somewhere for all these lights? They normally turn on from the light stalk on the steering column.

Yes, there are two separate light relays.  One for the headlights and one for the tail, parking, running, and clearance lights.  Tail-light relay sends power to a 15 amp fuse, and then on to the lights.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if Alfin ever got these working again... ? I'm having the same problem right now—taillights, front/rear clearance lights, and bulbs that illuminate the speedo are all dead and used to come on when the headlight control was turned to the first indent. Fuse tested fine, but I am concerned about the what I believe is the 3-pin taillight relay: Denso 90987-01003. It was pretty hot when I pulled it out. Is there a test procedure for these things? After I yanked it, I found 72.6 Ohms between pins 1-2 and nothing between 1-3 or 2-3.

From the drawing above and the comments, it sounds like IF the relay is working, there would be voltage at the 15A taillight fuse, so maybe I need to verify that.

Appreciate any ideas!

Edited by Ctgriffi

Update: Well, the fuse is definitely fine, and the taillight relay is also good—clicks and sends voltage to the fuseholder just fine. But, nothing seems to make it to the tail or clearance lights...

Finally got them working again but I'm not 100% sure how/why. It looks like maybe that 15A fuse was bad after all, although it looked fine and was tested over and over on my meter (?).

The rear light fixtures are original Bargman 84s, and there is something strange about the center light (turn signal) bulbs on each fixture: the RH light takes a two filament bulb, while the LH takes a standard one filament bulb. At first I thought the wrong bulb was in one of them, but they actually have different sockets. Why are these different? Anyone?

• 1 year later...

I had the running lights everywhere go out yesterday.  The problem was a blown fuse (TAIL 15A, in the fuse box near the driver's left foot) that did not appear to be blown until held up to a bright light *just right*.

The fuse was blowing due to a short in one of the clearance lights (Left side rear, red), which was bypassed with chewing gum and baling wire.  (Really!)  I have vehicle lights working so far and will need to replace all of the clearance lights (so they match!)  I will also be replacing the rear brake/backup/turn signal cluster as they are leaking and the sockets are rusted or corroded just about everywhere.  It works for now, but now may not last much longer.

When I tore into the rear light cluster, I discovered that someone else had been monkeying with it before I got to it, so the weird assortment of screws and connectors shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone working on a previously owned unit.