Just bought a 91 itasca spirit (same as Winnebage Warrior) and I have a noise in the rear end that my be pinion bearings.

Please reply with known locations of used rear ends - 6 lug. (or new rear ends or parts)

I am located in Florida so the southeast is better for me.

btw, the pinion bearing diagnosis is based on the belief that changing load on drive train results in a change in the whining noise. Also no change while turning (eliminating wheel bearings as source of noise)

Edited by DanAatTheCape

Try checking on getting your original rebuilt. I recently had the same problem with my pickup, I had the whining noise when I let off the gas. I was lucky and found a local shop that rebuilt it for me. The bearings cost around $50 and the new ring and pinion gears were $200 this was for a pickup so these prices may be far off for your aplication. The shop charged $150 for the labor with a total of $400 where the cheapest used rear end was $575 with a core deposit and a lot more work to change out.

P.S. If you notice the front seal of your differential leaking don't assume that as long as it leaks it still has oil. Trust me, a $10 seal and twenty minutes of time I could'nt find cost me $400

+Just has all the bearings and seals in rearend replaced, still have the whine, the wheel bearings and seals have also been replace, had a very knowledgeable Mechanic look at the ring and pinion and said it was worn, but didn't think it would be a problem, next am going to put in 140 gear lube unless someone has a better idea.

Update; spoke with rebuild shop in Orlando - sounds like price depends on whether aftermarket parts are available. Will know next week as I am pulling the "chunk" (rear end innards - pull the axles out and the guts come out of front side of the housing. Found 2 used 1 ton rear ends in the area - $750.

+Just has all the bearings and seals in rearend replaced, still have the whine, the wheel bearings and seals have also been replace, had a very knowledgeable Mechanic look at the ring and pinion and said it was worn, but didn't think it would be a problem, next am going to put in 140 gear lube unless someone has a better idea.

I am wondering if by "all bearings" you really meant all wheel bearings? Seems that if they changed the pinion & carrier bearings they would have addressed the pinion and other gear issues in the chunk.

BTW, I am curious what it cost you - parts & labor and if you had a breakdown on the parts - I understand that there are 2 wheel bearing on each side and would like to verify.

I don't think it is the dually full-floating one, just a 6 lug from a 4x4 pick-up.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/pts/554270558.html

For rebuilding, this guy looks to be good...

http://www.gearinstalls.com/index.htm - Looks like he does a mail-order service :)

Hope it helps!

There are 2 wheel bearings on each side,We could not replace the ring and pinion it wasn't available here in Mexico. I thought there was a bearing on each side of the ring and pinion and one in front but just looked at the recpt and he bought 4 bearing and one seal. My costs would not apply up there.

Numbers 17887/17831

1- 30306

1 32307W

1-1177

$110.00

Edited by mycomitan