Border crossing--US to Canada and back?

BobBeery

In a month I will be going Michigan to Boston.  I can save about 105 miles and 2+ hours of driving by going through Ontario from Port Huron-Sarnia to Niagara Falls.  I have crossed the US-Canada border many times in an auto and by myself but never in a toyhouse with my wife and two granddaughters (both legal minors).  Does anybody have experience who could clue me in on any documents, pitfalls, issues, inspections that I might have to deal with?  I do have the enhanced driver's license and my wife has a current passport.  Also, what fuel cost should I expect?

Sarnia - Niagara is 190 mile so you might make it on a tank. Regular gas will be just under $1 (Can) /liter if you get nervous and want to throw in $20 (about 5 gallons(US)).

Probably a good idea to have a letter from your Grandchildren's parents giving you permission to take them out of the country. Kidnappings, you know.

Radar detectors prohibited. Pitbulls too. Leave your guns at home. Seatbelts required all the time for everyone.

Happy trails. :)

All US citizens need a passport to cross the border, including children.  You also need the registration papers for your vehicle, a card from your insurance company that verifies that your vehicle insurance is valid in Canada, and a document that gives you permission to transport your grandchildren into Canada.  

From the Canadian Border Services Agency’s website;

cbsa.gc.ca/publications/…P004

Bringing children into Canada

Border services officers are on alert for children who need protection. Children under the age of 18 are classified as minors and are subject to the same entry requirements as any other visitor to Canada.

We will conduct a more detailed examination of minors entering Canada without proper identification or those travelling in the company of adults other than their parents or legal guardian(s). This additional scrutiny helps ensure the safety of the children.

Minors travelling alone must have proof of citizenship and a letter from both parents detailing the length of stay, providing the parents’ telephone number and authorizing the person waiting for them to take care of them while they are in Canada.

If you are travelling with minors, you must carry proper identification for each child such as a birth certificate, passport, citizenship card, permanent resident card or Certificate of Indian Status.

I had read about the Canadian auto insurance card and checked on it with my American Family Insurance agent and was told that it is required but most of the times they don't ask to see it.  BUT THEY CAN.

7 hours ago, Bob C said:

All US citizens need a passport to cross the border, including children.  You also need the registration papers for your vehicle, a card from your insurance company that verifies that your vehicle insurance is valid in Canada, and a document that gives you permission to transport your grandchildren into Canada.  

From the Canadian Border Services Agency’s website;

cbsa.gc.ca/publications/…P004

Bringing children into Canada

Border services officers are on alert for children who need protection. Children under the age of 18 are classified as minors and are subject to the same entry requirements as any other visitor to Canada.

We will conduct a more detailed examination of minors entering Canada without proper identification or those travelling in the company of adults other than their parents or legal guardian(s). This additional scrutiny helps ensure the safety of the children.

Minors travelling alone must have proof of citizenship and a letter from both parents detailing the length of stay, providing the parents’ telephone number and authorizing the person waiting for them to take care of them while they are in Canada.

If you are travelling with minors, you must carry proper identification for each child such as a birth certificate, passport, citizenship card, permanent resident card or Certificate of Indian Status.

I had read about the Canadian auto insurance card and checked on it with my American Family Insurance agent and was told that it is required but most of the times they don't ask to see it.  BUT THEY CAN.

This is true. BUT if your involved in a serious accident or other motor vehicle issue, you can be detained in Canada until the government determines you have the financial means to pay for any damages that are your fault.

Most insurance companies will provide this card for free. Why take a chance.

The same, of course, would apply to Canadians visiting the US. That said, I've never heard mention of this 'Canadian auto insurance card' before.  I spent 8 years working in NY and crossed the border (twice) every week and never had a question about my insurance. So, about 400 crossings into the US and 400 into Canada.

geico used to issue canadian insurance cards.   We did a trip to PEI back in 2011.  Crossed over Calais ME - had papers for the 2 of us and proof of rabies for dog.  Traffic was backing up behind us and we were not inspected. We had our passports, registration, proof of insurance etc all ready for the official.

I would ask you insurer if they issue special cards,

On return, we crossed back in further north - just north of where I-95 enters canada - I think it was called centreville.  

When they asked about food, I answered honestly and that caused an issue.  We ended up "surrendering" some stuff. They took our potatoes, our PEI beach sand and some other fruits veggies etc.  

What was interesting is at the end they were almost trying to hurry us along.  Seems a fellow showed up after us and they really wanted to work on him.  There were only 2 personnel and this guy had an issue from a previous visit in the USA - they used codes talking so not sure what it was.  The guy was quite nervous.

Expect immigration to run you thru the computer - any outstanding warrants will be addressed. I live near port  canaveral (lots of cruise ships) and heard of a story where an older man had an old warrant out for letting a feral cat out of a neighbors cage which he was unaware of - the cops talked to another neighbor who was involved and they  thought the whole thing was done. When he came in on a cruise they grabbed him. He spent the night in the local jail.

this is what geico says now;

• Traveling To Canada?  As long as you are visiting Canada as a tourist, your U.S. insurance ID card is sufficient proof of auto insurance, and an additional Canadian ID card is not necessary.

10 minutes ago, DanAatTheCape said:

this is what geico says now;

• Traveling To Canada?  As long as you are visiting Canada as a tourist, your U.S. insurance ID card is sufficient proof of auto insurance, and an additional Canadian ID card is not necessary.

Actually, unless Canada has changed its policy they want to be sure US drivers meet the minimum requirements of Canadian coverage. Some states have lower minimum requirements than Canada.

That being said, the last time I crossed into Canada was in 2002. Things may have changed.

When we crossed in 2011, geico was issuing special canada proof of insurance cards.  We had one.  Geico just stopped issuing canada cards in the last year. 

Edited by DanAatTheCape

for gas, I suggest http://www.gasbuddy.com/   type in Niagara and then go into map mode. 

I have this app on my smart phone - very useful - helps get a good deal and also helps locating stations - which as we all know is something we have to find often as we travel.

On that subject, now that I use a honda 2000, I carry a 2.5 gallon gas can on the rear bumper - makes me a lot bolder in stretching out gas stops.

15 hours ago, Bob C said:

All US citizens need a passport to cross the border, including children.  

Not true,  A state-issued enhanced driver's licenses is also accepted. I used to cut through Canada 2-3 times a year when headed to MI from NY. It saves 200 miles.  No more. Canadians came close to putting me in jail last time even with the proper documents. No more for me.  That was due to an arrest I had in 1970 for something that happened in a bar somewhere in NY.

My kid has his only NY enhanced driver's license when he was 2 years old.  Our dog did NOT need one. Just proof of rabies shots.

Thanks for feedback, everybody.  I found the website for US Customs and Border Patrol; I am more interested in re-entry to US.

Those under age 16 will not need more than a birth certificate.  Taking minors not accompanied by parent or guardian requires a notarized written permission from a parent.

We will not be allowed to take fruits or vegetables from one country to the other.  Prescription meds must be in original containers and must contain no more than will be needed to make it back home.  (I have a 90 day supply of one med.  I will have to leave most of them at home). 

I did not know about a card for insurance in Canada.  I will have to check on that.

New question:  The best time to overnight will put me half way between Port Huron and Niagara.  Is it OK to use a highway rest stop, Wal-Mart parking lot, truck stop, hospital parking lot, etc?