A wannabe ToyHome sojourner

Jarhead

On 2/12/2016 at 9:17 PM, Jarhead said:

Perhaps I would be better served just buying a new Toyota motor home.. all a bit overwhelming for a guy that has just maintained and improved his landlocked home...

If you only want a Toyota and want something newer - why not a Toyota truck with a slide-on camper on the back?  Plenty of room for two people and pretty good fuel mileage if you get a camper with a pop-up roof.  This gives you the option of towing a trailer.  Also taking the camper off when at a campground if you want an empty truck to drive. It also gives you the ability to tow a trailer. Even 4WD if so desired.

One drawback to having an older rig IF you don't do your own work is this.  We are getting to a time when many mechanics have never worked on a car or truck that has a carburetor and/or no computer diagnostics.  Regardless if a Toyota, Chevy, etc.  So getting this older stuff fixed by someone else can often be a money-pit full of frustration.  I am amazed at how many people replace their OEM carbs with new Webers instead of repairing the original carbs with less then $30 in parts.

Question.  You mentioned a "landlocked" home.  Do you mean legally landlocked?  Just curious since I've owned a few with that problem.

Also - you asked if RV refrigerators are special.  Some are, and some are not.  Some lack compressors and need to be  almost perfectly level to work. Others use compressors, don't need to be level, but also cannot use propane. Just electricity.  Many RVs come new with just electric and no propane capability. All depends on make and model. Norcold made many RV compressor refrigerators that were basically just 110 volt AC units with built-on inverters so they could run on 12-14 volts DC also.

I camped next to a couple last summer that traveled all over the USA in this Toyota truck and camper. NOT a pop-up roof like I'd prefer - but nice just the same.

DSCF3965.JPG

DSCF3966.JPG

There are no Toyota campers with a bathroom which I think is a must if you are full timing.

Linda S

I do mean truck campers that fit Toyota trucks not our motorhomes. A 21 foot Sunrader would give him the fiberglass he likes and Toyota chassis

41 minutes ago, linda s said:

There are no Toyota campers with a bathroom which I think is a must if you are full timing.

Linda S

I do mean truck campers that fit Toyota trucks not our motorhomes. A 21 foot Sunrader would give him the fiberglass he likes and Toyota chassis

Yes there are.  Phoenix Pulse self-contained pop-up for 6 foot Toyotas is one of them. Made in Denver, Colorado.  Then of course there are many for Toyotas with 8' beds like on a T100 or Tundra. I'm sure not as convenient as a larger camper or motorhome - but they are made.  Every RV made is a trade-off, one way or another.  None do everything well.

Their website lists a full bath as a possible option for all campers.  Possible doesn't mean they can add it to a Toyota sized camper and looking at the models for a Toyota I would say not likely. I have seen one mini truck sized camper for sale made by Kickin kampers. It had a slide out in the rear where the bathroom was. Unfortunately the company went out of business.

Linda S

Yes, Phoenix  makes them for small Toyotas and Nissans.  I've read several articles and road-tests about them.  I suppose un-Godly expensive unless one can be found used and priced reasonable.

If I wanted a truck and truck-camper combo - I'd give up on the mini-truck idea.  Why bother when a full-size diesel will do better?  But for those that MUST have a smallish Toyota - the campers can be had.  My full-size 1992 Dodge diesel with an extended cab, 4WD, and a pop-up camper got 17 MPG doing 60-65 MPH.  Same truck with a high-roof camper got 15  MPG doing 60-65 MPH.  I imagine the newer trucks with integral RV bodies like Tiger makes can do any better, but that is just an assumption on my part. 

If I had money to burn, I'd have a Tiger Malayan.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2012-phoenix-pulse-self-contained/

IMG_9680.jpg

Go here and rent one for a week. See what its like for a long trip. Decide whats wrong with the rental for you and then look for the right one with some real knowledge in your pocket

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/