Solar

WME

In the Feb 2016 Motor Home magazine there is a long article on installing a state of the art solar system in an RV. Granted the system cost more than most of the Toyota MH we own. Its still interesting to see what are the newest goodies.

1. A lithium Iron Phosphate battery pack, LIP batteries are noncombustible as opposed to the Lithium Cobalt one that are in the news for self ignition. Anyway a 300AH battery back weighs 84 lbs., has a safe discharge point of 80% and a typical life of 10 years +. A typical AGM setup would weigh around 275lbs

2. a new Hybrid inverter, 3000w continuous. The hybrid part comes from that it will accept inputs from the batteries AND an AC source (generator) so that you can run a 15K Btu AC from a 2000w generator. The inverter will draw from the batteries the needed startup current, then recharge the batteries with any excess generator power. At the same time the solar panels are pumping away too.

If your some where that only has 15 amp 110vac the same deal works so you can run both the AC and microwave without tripping the 15 amp breaker.

The writer said that they use about a 100AH a day when boondocked, without AC, and that they are normally fully recharged by noon.

P.S. Same issue has a story on repairing and cleaning ceiling fabric stains.

How ironic. I just cancelled my subscription to Trailer Life and Motorhome magazine (same company). I cancelled because of how badly (and wrong) some of their so-called "tech" articles have been lately I got my January issue but not sure if I'm getting a Feb. Now I am curious to see if this article is any better than some of the other really-bad stuff they have published lately. It is one thing to maybe get a bad tech writer and publish bad info. But when they do - they ought to correct it in the next issue which they do not seem to do anymore.

I'd like to see more specs on the solar-setup mentioned. I don't see any real gain with any of it except less battery weight for a LOT more money. I use a pair of 120 AH lead-acid batteries with a total weight of 120 lbs. and a total cost of $200. That 240 AH of power is more then I have ever needed. I bet the 300 AH battery in the article costs over $1000 and likely only comes with a 2 year warranty (same as my cheap batteries).

On the subject of hybrid inverters - as I recall they've been around for at least 30 years. Something I'd prefer not to have since I'd rather have separate components instead of several in "one box." I'm pretty sure my old Trace DR2412 series inverter/charger with generator hook-in has the hybrid function although I never tried to use it. Has a 120 amp battery charger and an inverter rated at 4200 watts surge and 2400 watts continuous. It can be hooked at up to a 7000 watt generator.

If they are saying in the article that they use 100 AH and then recharge in the morning by noon - that means they must have at least three or four 120 watt solar panels. That's a lot. I also wonder what the heck they are doing to use so much battery power but I don't know how long they camp. When we camp -the RV gets parked at maybe 7 PM and we leave maybe 8-9 AM the next morning. So 13-14 hours. Maybe four hours with a 32" TV and DVD player going, lights, laptop computer, water pump now and then, furnace if it's cold or several fans if it's hot, and that's about it. We used to do it with just one 120 AH battery and never had a problem. Then I had the bright idea to add a 2nd battery just for the heck of it (as I do with many things). Next spring - I am seriously thinking of putting our Toyota RV on a "diet." Removing one of the "house" batteries, also the microwave, also the tow hitch, and also the water-heater. All "dead weight" we really don't need for our lifestyle.

OK techie stuff

Cost $12,000

4ea 160 w panels

12.8v 300AH battery bank, 80% discharge capacity, 3000+ charge life span... $2600

Blue Sky Energy 3024il solar controller, $350

MagnaSine MSH 3012 inverter, $2800

Load--- Microwave, inductive cook top, hair dryer, faux fireplace, all normal rv lights, water pump and audio/video setup.

This would just be a perfect setup for our Toy lifestyle :rolleyes: