12V Connection Problems Need Advice

woolfgo

my twelve volt battery is charged and it is getting charged when i am plugged into shore power as well as when i drive my rig around. however my light on the charging sentenial that says charging doesn't come on while plugged into shore power nor does anything work on twelve volt. when im plugged into shore power all my electricity works but if i'm not running shore power my charged 12v battery is not powering anything. i'm thinking there is obviously a problem in the wiring between my 12 volt battery and the house. i checked the connection on the 12v battery and it was secure. don't know where else to look. does anyone know where i could find a wiring diagram for an 87 odyssey? or have any advice of things to check? could i be having converter issues.

Are you talking about your 120 volt system not working unless plugged in or are you saying that your 12 volt equipment is not working? The 120 volt system only works when plugged into shore power unless you have an inverter hooked up to the battery.

The 12 volt stuff should power up if you are plugged in or whenever your batteries are charged. Get out your volt meter (a required piece of equipment when troubleshooting an RV's electrical systems) and start looking. Check your connections at the battery, at your power panel, and at every piece of 12 volt equipment. Pay attention to your fuses, circuit breakers, switches, and every connection. Without a systematic approach, you will have a hard time finding the problems.

Give us more information to help isolate your problems.

If it is the original charger there is a relay inside that is stuck. It has two separate circuits inside one charges the battery the other lights the lights. When you plug it in the relay disconnects the battery from the lighting and charges it the other half of the system lights the lights. The relay is switched on by the 120 volt power and what happens it sticks in the on passion then the power cannot come from the battery to light the lights etc. Try slapping the side of the charger that maybe enough to jar the relay free. Depending on the type of relay they usually can be fixed with a small file to clean the contacts some are sealed and have to be replaced.

If it is the original charger there is a relay inside that is stuck. It has two separate circuits inside one charges the battery the other lights the lights. When you plug it in the relay disconnects the battery from the lighting and charges it the other half of the system lights the lights. The relay is switched on by the 120 volt power and what happens it sticks in the on passion then the power cannot come from the battery to light the lights etc. Try slapping the side of the charger that maybe enough to jar the relay free. Depending on the type of relay they usually can be fixed with a small file to clean the contacts some are sealed and have to be replaced.

where would i find the relay switch here are some images of the charging system.. ( i think)post-8510-0-25357800-1451519369_thumb.jppost-8510-0-52004000-1451519377_thumb.jppost-8510-0-32343600-1451519386_thumb.jp

Hate to say it but it's not going to be fun. That one has to come out it is way inside of the metal box. Be advised there are high voltages in side if it is plugged in and the breakers will not turn off the charger it is wired directly to the power cord. depending on the wire lengths of the 120 volt stuff you maybe able to remove the box, the charging systems are in the back of the unit. On the plus side it is one that the relay can be repaired. Alternatively now would be a good time to replace it with a modern one unfortunately that's a bit involved too. P.S. disconnect the coach battery too

Hate to say it but it's not going to be fun. That one has to come out it is way inside of the metal box. Be advised there are high voltages in side if it is plugged in and the breakers will not turn off the charger it is wired directly to the power cord. depending on the wire lengths of the 120 volt stuff you maybe able to remove the box, the charging systems are in the back of the unit. On the plus side it is one that the relay can be repaired. Alternatively now would be a good time to replace it with a modern one unfortunately that's a bit involved too. P.S. disconnect the coach battery too

im pretty inexperienced when it comes to electrical endeavors. when i get the box out and take it apart what will the relay switch look like? where will i find it ? and if i disconnect battery and unplug from shore power will there still be high voltage? ps thank u so much for ur help. ur advice is very appreciated

im pretty inexperienced when it comes to electrical endeavors. wen i get the box out and take it apart what will the relay switch look like? where will i find it ? and if i disconnect battery and unplug from shore power will there still be high voltage? ps thank u so much for ur help. ur advice is very appreciated

As long as shore power is disconnected and you don't have an electric generator running - there is no high voltage. Not unless you've added a 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC inverter. Looks like you've got a Progressive Dynamics power-center. Pretty common. Relay is inside of it. It varies a little by actual model #.

post-6578-0-14746100-1451595939_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-36966400-1451595940_thumb.jp

It is a 30 amp relay with a 120 volt AC coil and 12 volt contacts good bit smaller than pictured but the same ideal the contacts can be filed. It's pretty obvious once you get the power supply off the back there is a Molex connection that joins into the 120 volt side that can easily be unplugged. Good luck have fun!

It is a 30 amp relay with a 120 volt AC coil and 12 volt contacts good bit smaller than pictured but the same ideal the contacts can be filed. It's pretty obvious once you get the power supply off the back there is a Molex connection that joins into the 120 volt side that can easily be unplugged. Good luck have fun!

post-8510-0-80446000-1451773401_thumb.jp

That item in the photo is not a relay. It is a circuit-breaker.

I'm not sure who is posting what, or why. I'm also not sure why a photo of a self-resetting circuit-breaker is posted The relay will look something like I posted previously. Looks like you have a PD700 series maybe? I'm guessing since I have not seen details posted. Here are several PD diagrams showing the relay and various breakers.

post-6578-0-78559200-1451778349_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-11236100-1451778351_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-56019700-1451778353_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-21116100-1451778355_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-64914600-1451778356_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-01052900-1451778364_thumb.jp

As soon as you touched it it's freed up look carefully at the contacts if there is any hint of a "fang" on the contacts they need to be filed. The relay is returned to the non energized position by a small spring it has very little pull.. I have done 3 of the same type you have pictured all with exactly the same problem and a couple others with sealed relays. They are crude chargers and very inefficient but that was the technology at the time.