Solar Panel Doesn't Seem To Charge When Driving

vtchris

It really feels as if the only charge I am getting while driving is from the sun, no extra from driving. How do I tell? Also, in my electrical compartment (that box under the couch) I have a switch that turns the coverter off and I keep it in the off position so when I am plugged into shore power the box doesn't make noise. Maybe that has something to do with it. And I assume I need to switch it to the on position if I use my generator and want to charge the house batteries.

post-1196-0-80443800-1449062545_thumb.jp

Your converter/charger probably is not effected by the breaker it most likely is directly connected to the power cord most were if it does not hum with the breaker off then it probably is wired to the breaker. The 15 amp breaker is for the outlets in the coach (and the converter if so wired) and 20 amp for the AC. Your truck should charge the battery thru the isolator it can be checked with a volt meter while the truck is running. If you turn it off it can't charge your battery when you are plugged in and the converter will not be making any 12 volt supply for the lights etc. so they will be working entirely from the coach battery.

First you need to buy a volt meter (multimeter) if you don't already have one. With the engine running, use your multimeter and touch the red probe to the positive post of the coach battery and the black probe to the negative post. You should get about 14.5 volts. If you don't get at least 14 volts with the engine running, you are correct in thinking that your engine is not charging the coach battery. I had to replace the isolator when I bought my RV and then that O"Reilly's isolator lasted a very short time and I put in an old school solenoid isolator. I also added a digital volt meter in the cab to check the state of charge of the coach battery. It makes me feel better knowing that the coach is getting power.

Yep it was the isolator. Ordered a new one, should be in next week. Thanks!!

Another thing to consider. On our sailboat we had a wind generator, solar panels, and the engine alternator. When we motored we sometimes noticed that alternator wasn't putting as much into the batteries as usual. Turns out that, on a bright sunny day, the voltage produced by the solar panels would fool the alternator regulator into thinking the batteries were full. I installed a switch that allowed me to disconnect the solar panel controller while we motored and the problem went away. Then, of course, there was the problem of remembering to turn the solar panels back on after we anchored....