Water Heater Bypass Question

Ctgriffi

We're finally getting starting to get near freezing at night, so I started winterizing my 91 Warrior this afternoon. I did this task successfully last year, so I just followed the notes I had jotted down, until I ran into something that stymied me. My water heater has the factory-mounted bypass valve, and I was under the impression that, once I set the valve to bypass, no water from the rest of the system could enter the water heater... true?

Here's what happened: I drained the system, the fresh water tank, and the hot water heater completely. Then, I activated the bypass valve. I added a couple gallons of RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank, turned on the pump, and then ran each faucet and fixture until I had pink coming out everywhere. I shut off the last faucet and was surprised to hear the pump continuing to cycle off/on as if I still had something running. A few minutes later, I realized that a pretty good trickle of pinkish water was coming out of the open hot water heater drain. :angry01:

I disconnected all the lines to the bypass valve and removed it for examination; looks like a solid ball valve system, and it operates perfectly well at both positions—doesn't seem to have any leakage (when using my best lung power). What am I missing here?

Yeah, this is an original all-in-one deal, with three connections. Here's a photo I snapped while disconnecting.

post-7949-0-03431100-1447380514_thumb.jp

I looked at some one valve setups and they all depend on a 1way check valve on the heater out line. Maybe your setup has one and its failed.

I think you might be right about the check valve; I'll have to take a look in the morning. (Wish I had a good drawing of my system; I do much better when I can see the whole shebang!)

Pulled this off the WH... check valve, yes? Seems to allow flow in both directions however, so I'm going to soak it in vinegar and see what that does.

post-7949-0-89338200-1447459214_thumb.jp

Yep that's it.

Thanks for confirming.

Well, I soaked it for a few days in vinegar, worked the internal spring in and out, and rinsed it a few times. It's definitely sealing better, but I can still force a tiny bit of air through the "wrong way," if I give it everything I've got. Guess I need to find a new valve?

Picked up a new check valve at a local shop. They don't make 'em like they used to I think, but it is brass and seemed to do the trick. No more antifreeze leaking out through the WH.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm - or maybe "oops" would be better.

That one way valve goes on the outlet side of the water heater? What is its purpose? When I changed my tank, I didn't pay much attention, then when I went to put it back together, I thought it was to stop hot water from flowing back towards the fresh water tank.

And what are these two valves for?post-5442-0-07440500-1448846692_thumb.jp

The valves are low point drain valves for winterizing

Ahh! Pull up! I was wondering why turning them did nothing.