Sunrader Windows

jhdbad

I have a 90 18ft Sunrader love it but ... Front wrap around windows have been ugly caulked while removing caulk found that window has come out of rubber seal ... Considering 2 options: 1 - take to rv place have them remove windows reinstall properly; 2 - fiberglass over window openings. Any advice welcome cost guesses welcome also

Fix the rubber seal. I really don't like the look of a Sunrader with fiber glassed over front windows. New rubber can be bought. A good vehicle window place should have it or look online for locking weather-strip. There were only a few more than a dozen V6 shortiy Sunraders ever made. I so like to see the few original ones not messed around with too much. You probably paid fat money for this rig. Fixing the window seal is not going to be more expensive than fiber glassing it in and it will look way better. My Toyota Sunrader has the original windows and seal and doesn't leak at all. My Nissan Sunrader came with a broken window and I replaced it my self.

Linda S

Correction, 1 dozen Toyota Sunraders and 1 dozen Nissan Sunraders with the 18 ft chassis and a v6. Still one of the rarest vehicle's on the road and deserving of some respect for it's integrity

You can do it yourself. Best solution when you buy a vehicle this old is to learn how to do some repairs. I have installed windows in my Nissan Sunrader. Wasn't easy but I managed. Can you post a picture of your windows now? I would like to see how bad it is. If you want to try it I will post links to the correct rubber seal

Linda S

Thanks Linda

Would not hesitate to tackle this but 38 degrees now. Found an auto shop that will do it on Monday there concern is finding a replacement if one should break. There a small crack 3 inches in one now. Trying to get things done before freezing weather.

Thanks again

Have them drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack before they work on it. Takes the stress off of the sheet. Fill the tiny crack and drilled hole with gel crazy glue. Just be careful and only put it in the crack, both sides. Make sure they don't work outside where it's so cold. Old plexiglass is more brittle when cold. Good luck

Linda S

Crazy glue...no do not attempt the repai ron your window with that glue, it is not the optimal adhesive and it was not designed for this kind of work. There are acrylic glues especially formulated for this purpose and that is the only type you should use for it if you want professional and reliable results.

Weld-on 4, water thin acrylic glue yes...it is specifically formulated to weld the edges of plastic pieces into a solid. This is the stuff they use to create acrylic enclosures such as fish tanks and other professional acrylic projects. It is possible to find it at some hardware stores, very possible to find it at hobby stores where people do model aircraft work and also easy to find at any store that sells acrylic supplies such as Tap Plastics.

If you don't want to tackle repairing the crack yourself contact a local company that supplies acrylics and manufactures acrylic articles. You will also find acrylic window repair persons in the marine industry.

I have mended the cracks in my Sunrader window with this glue and it is holding up nicely with no leaks. But you do need to be very careful when you apply it. Use a very small detail artist paint brush and gently wick the liquid into the crack. This liquid is thin enough that it will wick into the crack through capillary action from a very small amount of liquid on the tip of the tiny brush. Never rub on it while it is wet and do not over apply the glue to the point that it runs on the window. Never touch the liquid with your finger or brush against it while it is wet or it will create smears on the plastic. Its actually an easy job to do but it does take care, a delicate touch and patience. Not your go all Gung Ho approach where you smear a bunch of glue onto the surface. Besides you want it to be pretty much invisible when you are done right?

This is a repair method technique every Sunrader owner will want to keep in their notebook of essential how-to fixes as rock chips and cracks do happen. It might save you many hundreds of dollars to be ready for action when a crack develops. You can also use this same repair method to fix any cracks in your tail light lenses.

Thank you I talked to Advantage Rv in CA yesterday about a possible replacement if a problem occurs. They have the mold and could send one if necessary. Very nice people there. I will forward info to those doing this and will keep it in my personal file. Your responses are greatly appreciated

Windows and gaskets removed cleaned and reinstalled without incident. Thank you for all the help. Now to remove gasket between cab and coach clean and replace.

John