Broken Antenna - Options?

shibs

If you use foil tape instead of duk tape to attach the hanger you will get better reception, use all weather tape it holds up better.

http://www.zoro.com/nashua-all-weather-foil-tape-48mm-x-46m-silver-330x/i/G2427485/?gclid=CKDn5reVrsgCFYoUHwodsk8PxQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

HTH Jim

this is what my antenna looks like on my 85 sunrader.

Should just cut a bit of coat hanger off and stick it in there?

Did it work well for you before it broke, or was is always broken since you had it? I ask because radio antennas are especially problematic with RVs. There have been many articles written on the subject. If you live in a suburban area with strong signals, you may never notice. But if you live or travel rural and want good fringe reception on AM and FM - things get complicated. I have yet to ride in an RV that receives weak radio signals as well as the average car, truck, or van. I'm trying to come up with a better system on my Toyota RV. Seems a roof-top antenna that requires NO ground-plane is the way to go. But, we'll see. If all you want is your cheap fender-mount antenna back - you might find a piece of coat-hanger work fine if all you want is local FM (not AM). That being said, old fender-mount antennas usually have bad connections where the coax joins the base and they need total replacement. This would make an interesting thread (at least to me) just on RV radio reception. I tend to listen to several fringe stations that I can get in my Ford truck or Dodge van but just about never in my RV. I'd like to fix that. Even household "tabletop" radios are a problem since few are built to get weak signals anymore.

I removed mine and ran new RG59 cable to a splitter that is in my RV behind a speaker

The splitter runs to my Roof Antenna

I split my roof antenna to feed my TV, cab stereo and RV House stereo and no issues at all. I'm in California at the coast so all flat land here

To cover the old hole i mounted my GPS and XM radio antennas over them

The problem with using RG59. RG6, or RG11 with a conventional TV-signal type splitter is that splitter degrades any AM signal in the kilohertz range. For FM in the megahertz range it is fine. In my case - fringe AM reception is my main target.

JDE,

never tried the radio, I bought the rader and parked it in storage since May :-(

Linda,

I agree, replacement would also look nicer.

hmm, we have an antenna on the roof?

I must have missed that one.

The sunrader has a newer cd head, I might upgrade it to a HD radio/mp3 head later.

I saw newer speakers on the roof near the dinette if I am not mistaken.

How many speaker are there?

2 in cab and 2 back in the camper?

Roof rack is antenna for tv only. it kind of works too. I have a regular antenna for my radio just where Shibs broke off. I get the radio, AM and FM just fine. Can drive from bay area to northern Cal with only a few places with no service and from here to Reno with no breaks in service anywhere. If I have to have noise then I stick in a CD. Just the noise of the road is very nice sometimes. Don't we all get too much noise all the time

Linda S

ah and this looks better than a 7 dollar antenna? I already have people asking apologetically if I live in my Sunrader right before they ask me if I will sell it. Tape is not an option and not needed when you can just buy a new one at any auto parts store. Of course mines not broken but if it was that's what I would do

Linda S

ah and this looks better than a 7 dollar antenna?

Linda S

What auto parts store sells a decent antenna for $7 that fits a Toyota truck fender? I've yet to find one in stock at any auto parts store I've been too. The Toyota pickup OEM has a fender-mount antenna with an extreme angle-mount that is hard to match. Also has a hidden bottom mount inside the fenderwell that requires taking the fender partially apart to get too. Please cite this antenna you are talking about. I checked every antenna in stock where I live awhile back found nothing that was worth trying to alter and install. That included Carquest, NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto, and two non-franchise auto parts stores. I wound up ordering one from Amazon that is a perfect fit for $20. Even had the correct coax length that many do not.

To me, price wasn't even the issue. I just wanted something that fit well, and would work well and not lose it's ground-plane connection after being rained on a few times.

post-6578-0-11453800-1444330031_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-30381700-1444330034_thumb.jp

The original poster did suggest using a coat hanger, I thought in jest. So I tried to respond with a bit of humor. I suspect Shibs might have a long search finding a metal coat hanger, or maybe he was referring to plastic? :clown2:

Jim SW FL

What auto parts store sells a decent antenna for $7 that fits a Toyota truck fender? I've yet to find one in stock at any auto parts store I've been too. The Toyota pickup OEM has a fender-mount antenna with an extreme angle-mount that is hard to match. Also has a hidden bottom mount inside the fenderwell that requires taking the fender partially apart to get too. Please cite this antenna you are talking about. I checked every antenna in stock where I live awhile back found nothing that was worth trying to alter and install. That included Carquest, NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto, and two non-franchise auto parts stores. I wound up ordering one from Amazon that is a perfect fit for $20. Even had the correct coax length that many do not.

To me, price wasn't even the issue. I just wanted something that fit well, and would work well and not lose it's ground-plane connection after being rained on a few times.

The antenna on my rig came from Kragens now Oreillys. I don't know if they still carry the same one but it's possible that because there are so many Toyota trucks out here in Cal they stock more parts for them. I also buy lots of stuff online and I just don't think finding one is that big of an issue

Linda S

Shibs antenna doesn't look like my angled Toyota antenna either. It's farther forward on the top of the fender. Mine is mounted almost on the side. His is a far easier replacement

update,

the sony head unit is quite nice,

sound comes out of the speaks in the dash and rear.

Sounds good for me, and am reception is ok, so for now I will not mess with the radio antenna.

the head unit has stereo input for my phone for music, that works for me as I use iheart radio and listen to radio on cdma.