Sunrader Drivers Seat: Replacement Recommendation?

perry mason

Hi, I have a handsome 1983 Sunrader. Has anyone replaced the factory drivers seat with something more comfortable for distance driving? I'm reasonably handy and do it all myself so far. We have several wrecking yards nearby.

I'm tired of limping away from the rig at the end of the day. Thank you, pm.

I cannot help with the shocks, I am only a world renowned expert on the 93 Toy sitting in my driveway. But over on the Engine Transmission forum at the very top is a pinned topic by mtdave2, engine swap, in there he talks about putting Lexus seats in his project. I am very impressed by this and it is on my bucket list. HTH Jim

Jim, he asked about a seat not shocks or motor...

Perry, I replaced the stock ones from a Ford King Ranch leather set on ebay. I welded the Toyota seat frame/track to the ford bracket. Its in my gallery I'll post some picks. Absolutely the most CHOICE seats of any toy in here; aniline leather.

If you have ever sat in a King Ranch seat; you wont want anything else.

IMG_0071.jpg

Ok then, thanks guys, it looks like the King Ranch seat costs more than my whole RV so I'll keep looking but it's nice to know it can be done. I'm over to the Engine Swap section to see what other enterprising efforts are available. Keep rolling, pm.

I have seen people use Supra seats, 4 runner, BMW, Audi. Supposedly the 4 runner seats can be installed with only making 1 extra hole in the seat frame and have the same track but I don't know what years they used. Most will take some alterations but probably worth the time. Another friend of mine just had his old seats reupholstered with extra cushioning. He was happy with the result

Linda S

To Lindas Point the 4 runner seats only need one drill hole and some nice large fender washers to reinforce the area of the hole. If comfy and cheaper is the way you wish I have seen a lot of others use them in here quite successfully. Its really not a bad job goes way faster than you think... even my fab job on the ford seats only took me an hour tops.

For my seats I paid $300 with free shipping on ebay. They were a bit beat up but I re-dyed them with my Shultz gun and a dye kit.

conceivably you could get the rav 4 seats cheaper than $300 but not much...