Atwood 13.5 Btu Air Command And Honda Eu2000I

davidtan

So , the results are in. Installed the Atwood Command air 13.5 (they sent me 4 units - 2 broken in shipping , 1 actually working unit , and another by mistake . Wherever they are shipping out from needs to package them better. The boxes show up all ripped and banged up).

I borrowed a Yamaha MZ80 2000 watt generator from a friend and tried starting it up. NO GO. The generator just kept dying whenever the compressor kicked in. So that sucked.

I called a Honda generator store to see if I could test the RV ac right there in their store and said it was OK, but they said it was too small too for a 13.5 ac unit. I got to the Honda store and we plugged it in . The Atwood is kinda weird because it runs for around 3 minutes on fan only to cool down all the hear exchangers before the compressor kicks in. Then the compressor kicked in and walla , the Honda kept going. Upon reading the specs, the Honda has a 98 cc engine while the Yamaha had a 79 cc engine . Both rated at 2000 surge watts , 1600 running , but I guess the Honda has more torque to keep going on the surge.

Mystery put to rest, a Honda EU2000i will start a Atwood 13.5 command air. I even tried turning on the fridge and it did not even bog. Good times

ps.. 85 lbs for AC , 45 lbs for genset. Not bad

• 9 months later...
On 9/12/2015 at 1:03 PM, davidtan said:

So , the results are in. Installed the Atwood Command air 13.5 (they sent me 4 units - 2 broken in shipping , 1 actually working unit , and another by mistake . Wherever they are shipping out from needs to package them better. The boxes show up all ripped and banged up).

I borrowed a Yamaha MZ80 2000 watt generator from a friend and tried starting it up. NO GO. The generator just kept dying whenever the compressor kicked in. So that sucked.

I called a Honda generator store to see if I could test the RV ac right there in their store and said it was OK, but they said it was too small too for a 13.5 ac unit. I got to the Honda store and we plugged it in . The Atwood is kinda weird because it runs for around 3 minutes on fan only to cool down all the hear exchangers before the compressor kicks in. Then the compressor kicked in and walla , the Honda kept going. Upon reading the specs, the Honda has a 98 cc engine while the Yamaha had a 79 cc engine . Both rated at 2000 surge watts , 1600 running , but I guess the Honda has more torque to keep going on the surge.

Mystery put to rest, a Honda EU2000i will start a Atwood 13.5 command air. I even tried turning on the fridge and it did not even bog. Good times

ps.. 85 lbs for AC , 45 lbs for genset. Not bad

I'm interested in how the Atwood is working out for you on the mighty little Honda,   what is your outside temperature and elevation?   Sent you a PM on this also in case you miss this.   Jim

My 2000 will start & run my 13.5 btu ac.   It grunts and the overload light lights up for a bit.   (at sea level).  

I have run it for 30 minutes then I give it a break.  By my math, the AC needs all 2000 watts (spec-ed draw at 19.something amps) and since the specs are for 2000 watts for 30 minutes followed by 1600 watts I do not push it any farther.

my gen is at about 1200 hours (measured by the amount of fuel consumed. The unit has a flashing light that will reports 100 hour intervals up to 500 hours.  I measured fuel usage to hours run and I think the specs are pretty close - about 8 hours for 1 gallon)

really should have at least a 2.5k watt gen to run this ac.  I rarely run my AC this way  -  a few times I really wanted to cool down the camper though.