Backup Camera For $40

shibs

I have been looking at wireless backup camera that I can multi use.

1. I like to use it to backup my chevy to hitch up my camper

2. use it as a backup camera in the Toyo campers

3. use it as a target cam while out shooting.

I wanted something that works on wifi, that I can connect from ipad or any pda phone.

I wanted something that had a battery built in.

So getting a cheap pda phone was the solution. [drum roll]

So here goes:

1. get a moto e sprint prepaid cellphone for $40 (brand new, from bestbuy), free shipping too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sprint-prepaid-motorola-moto-e-4g-with-8gb-memory-no-contract-cell-phone-black/2729581.p

2. Don't turn it on, first activate it on https://ringplus.net/

pick the free plan.

3. install IP Webcam from google play store

it is a free ap

4. setup a wifi hot spot on the moto e ( we will call this the camera phone)

5. start the ip webcam and start server to stream vid

6. connect from your pda phone/ipad from the driver seat

So we end up with a free plan cellphone which actually works and a backup camera

I am going to use the suction cup phone holders to mount it to my tail gate or rear window.

INteresting idea. The first time I used a wired backup camera to hook up to my toad I backed right into it! Trust none of what you hear and half of what you see! Took a couple tries to get use to it.

My first setup came with 2 wired cameras and I used the second camera to look in area's where I could not get my head, cellphone should do the same? Jim

I used my wifes old wireless baby cam. has night vision and two cameras. mount wireless viewer up front; A cam out back window. B cam setup overlooking whole inside of the rig to watch dog/kids etc when camping.

I use it hunting also... I set it down the lane and have monitor in the blind.

I have a $20 6.0 mm usb camera for that, I use it scope my guns too.

I used to it find the issue in my washers drain valve

http://www.amazon.com/Toontor-Waterproof-Borescope-Inspection-Endoscope/dp/B00Z6BG7MI

just connect it to your laptop or pc

Golly Gee Wiz, what will they think of next? Thanks for sharing that, will be in my next Amazon order. Jim

I also just did a quick search as I was curious if Android would support a generic USB camera. There seems to be plenty of apps but with a mixed bag of results. I've got a couple of web cams in the office that I can test but it'll have to wait. Had a mishap on Sat that left me with some bruised ribs. I must be getting old as I don't bounce back as quickly as I once did.

I also just did a quick search as I was curious if Android would support a generic USB camera. There seems to be plenty of apps but with a mixed bag of results. I've got a couple of web cams in the office that I can test but it'll have to wait. Had a mishap on Sat that left me with some bruised ribs. I must be getting old as I don't bounce back as quickly as I once did.

hmm, well if you android does not have a built in camera, yes, you can use it to stream the vid from the usb cam.

hmm, well if you android does not have a built in camera, yes, you can use it to stream the vid from the usb cam.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I've got phones that I could set up like you've done as I upgrade pretty often. The inspection camera made me curious. This is for stuff like looking inside walls and such. Not so much as a back up camera. I know, here I go hijacking some thread. Here is a video of what I was thinking.

https://youtu.be/4JIh_OtRBoM

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I've got phones that I could set up like you've done as I upgrade pretty often. The inspection camera made me curious. This is for stuff like looking inside walls and such. Not so much as a back up camera. I know, here I go hijacking some thread. Here is a video of what I was thinking.

https://youtu.be/4JIh_OtRBoM

good idea,

let know which app you like best, I need a usb to micro usb adapter :-)

There seems to be quite a few wifi transmitters around that you plug a backup camera into. I have a couple of android tablets I could use for the display. One is a Nexus 7 but it is not connected to a cellular system. The other is one I have from Verizon that is connected to our cellular account. An advantage of this setup is the wifi antenna gets installed within the vehicle and is hardwired to the outside camera.

I would not want it mounted at bumper height as I might want to carry bikes or a cargo rack with boxes on it that could block the view from the lens.