Awnings And Screen Rooms

NancyL

Can Anyone tell me if they have purchased an awning for a Toyota 21 ft warrior? Just purchased my rig, and want to buy the awning and then a screen room for it.

Nancy L

There is an interesting awning that was designed for VW camper buses. http://www.busdepot.com/details/awning/ They do sell adapter mounts making it possible to put it on other vehicles such as a Toy Home. They also have taller poles available for it. Takes about 10 minutes to set up once you get to camp, not as fast as an electric opening awning but comparable to a bag awning. It stores in a bag similar in size and shape as those used for the folding camp chairs. The cost of the awning is budget friendly.

awning-4.jpg

There is a screen room available for it. However I am guessing that you may need to sew extra lengths of material around the bottom to make it a bit taller for a Toy Home. You can also purchase a kit to turn the awning plus screen room into a free standing unit. With a bit of sewing and some Keder awning rope from SailRite it could potentially be adapted to slide into the awning rails used for bag awnings.

ezyplusb.jpg

Having looked at a wide variety of awning and screen room options available in the US I have decided this unit is the way I will go as the weight is fairly light and finding storage space for it won't be difficult. Two sizes available 8' x 8' and 8' x 11'. The 8' is the width out from the side of the vehicle. Europeans have way more choices in awnings and screen rooms than we have in the USA, I sure wish that would change but there has been no movement in that direction other than this product.

I did purchase a used awning and screen room but finally decided they were way too heavy. Even the screen room was heavy and also bulky. But this Bus Depot awing will be easy enough to store up on the overcab bed or behind my cab seats or in a luggage area.

We have the 21ft Warrior. We've used this cheapie "rope and pole" awning for years. It fits great into the Warrior awning rail. Plusses are 1) it's cheap, 2) with the five ropes, it's more wind resistant than most permanently attached awnings, and 3) it's not premanently attached so you only take it with for trips when you need it. Cons are 1) the ropes and poles are trip hazards (especially at night) and 2) efficient setup takes 2 people. (Inefficient setup can be done with 1 person and much cussing)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/p2002617/sku-272682.jcwx?filterid=c18279u0j1

It doesn't come with a storage bag. If you don't have something lying around, you may have to buy one from Whitney or on Amazon/Ebay. As with most staked sporting goods, the stakes that it comes with are inadequate. You'll need an upgraded set like these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-steel-tent-stakes-set-of-six-96534.html

JeffM 93 Warrior V6

I found a used, 11 foot awning for $200 for my 20 foot Dolphin. It rolls out of a hard case mounted near the roof line and opens using a long crank handle. Two legs swing out of the awning and sit on the ground. I love it and I'd like to get one of those screen rooms to attach to the awning. Maybe when I hit Powerball...

If you do get an awning, be sure and put it away at night!

John

I found a used, 11 foot awning for $200 for my 20 foot Dolphin. It rolls out of a hard case mounted near the roof line and opens using a long crank handle. Two legs swing out of the awning and sit on the ground. I love it and I'd like to get one of those screen rooms to attach to the awning. Maybe when I hit Powerball...

If you do get an awning, be sure and put it away at night!

John

The 11' screen room is not super expensive on Ebay. But of course its not free :(

However I don't know if this one is tall enough for your Dolphin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rv-Trailer-Camper-Carefree-of-Colorado-Campout-11-Add-A-Room-Screen-Room-/351252968344?hash=item51c84ef398&vxp=mtr

There is 10' long screen room for $99.00 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-CAMPER-TRAILER-AWNING-ADD-ON-ROOM-NEW-FITS-A-10-CAREFREE-OR-A-E-AWNING/151774995305?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33097%26meid%3De5d2ea2cfe6b41efa2b1a2c83f4b2f8d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D351252968344

I got an 8' (2.5m) long add-a-room from Ebay for $100.00. Brand new but not in the original box.

It won't be tall enough to clear the coach door on a Toyhome. That is most often going to be the case with shelters that are designed for the smaller low profile trailers or SUVs. But I do like that style of shelter. However some extra sewing modifications many such designs can be adapted for the Toyhomes.

I need to remember to add to my list of measurements the height of the top of the door to the ground plus the distances of the door to the other significant features such as the window, roof, front edge of the coach and rear edge.

Also I need to know what height a skirt from the ground to the lower edge of the coach is. Also needed is thr measurement for how much clearance space is required for the roof plane of a shelter or awning when the door is in the open position. That is a critical measurement for knowing how and where to mount a shelter as you don't want to wear a hole in the roof with the top corner of the door. One of the benefits of screen rooms is being able to leave the door open on rigs like the Sunrader that don't come with screen doors. It is a wise move to bond an extra wear patch layer to the inside surface of a shelter's roof if the door has the potential for the roof to rub against it. That will help prevent holes in the roof.

We do not have an awning but recently purchased the Clam screened room from Amazon. It sets up in minutes and is very lightweight although sturdy. I also recommend the wind panels for shade and preventing rain from blowing in. Great product.

Dean K.

1991 Winnebago Warrior

Clam 6 screened tent Amazon.pdf